Up and running, have a few small issues

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Got my BI system going.

1.The live views on the computer are 1:00-1:20mins behind what is actually live. Why and how to I fix this? Cant use PTZ with this lag. This is what the BI computes showing on its screen.

2. I have 7x 4mp cameras, direct to disk recording, and the app says I am using 95-100% of CPU and 5.31RAM, the task manager says 47%. 4-15FPS is the stats, I have 20FPS selected on all cams. Is this the expected CPU demand for my i7, 128SSD, 4TB Purple and 8GB RAM?

I had to turn off 1 of the 7 cores for BI to get the computer more responsive while BI is running.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Got my BI system going.

1.The live views on the computer are 1:00-1:20mins behind what is actually live. Why and how to I fix this? Cant use PTZ with this lag. This is what the BI computes showing on its screen.

2. I have 7x 4mp cameras, direct to disk recording, and the app says I am using 95-100% of CPU and 5.31RAM, the task manager says 47%. 4-15FPS is the stats, I have 20FPS selected on all cams. Is this the expected CPU demand for my i7, 128SSD, 4TB Purple and 8GB RAM?
are you running the demo? demo does not support direct to disk. with your i7-6700 you should be running low 20's if that...also note that teamviewer or remote login adds TONS of overhead - but not enough to bring your system to 95 percent. Enable hardware acceleration (also not in demo)

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK. Not running demo. I turned off team viewer and get similar CPU but can see why it would be extremely taxing for it.

Just searched the forums and google and cant find where to turn hardware acceleration on or off.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK. Not running demo. I turned off team viewer and get similar CPU but can see why it would be extremely taxing for it.

Just searched the forums and google and cant find where to turn hardware acceleration on or off.
blue iris options >cameras...set it to h.264 NO VPP..
even without hardware acceleration your numbers are way off...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
exclude blue iris program files and storage folders from virus scans as per networking section of the help file

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The yellow dot on the camera windows means that BI is not receiving the number of FPS that you have the cameras set for. In your video the FPS for some of your cameras was in the 4 to 5 range which generally means your PC is having difficulty communication with your cameras since you say they are set higher than that. Are they all hard wired, or are any wireless?

You could try to disable all of them and enabled them on at a time to see if one of them is causing a problem.

Your RAM usage should be in the 2 to 3 GB range, no where near 5 GB. Something is definitely off. Guessing you have rebooted the PC and that does not help?

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All cams are hard wired cat53 @Rockford622

1.Ok, removed blue iris files from malware virus scan per BI instructions.
2. All cams are .h264 direct to disk, see no note of "NO VPP" in menus
3. Plugging each camera in one at a time, I am able to get 4-5 cams running at 25fps and 30% CPU
4. When I add cameras 6 and 7 the FPS drop substantially on those last 3 cams to 9,13,20 fps, pulling 521 mb/s total in BI
5. Asus Router CPU doesn't look taxed at all, but could I be hitting the limit of the wifi/router moving the data?
6. I didn't do much other then plug one at a time and the CPU load is down to 35-53% running blue iris as a service and UI, 2.81GB RAM
7. I am getting close! Thanks for your help, now if I can just get the last few cams up to 25fps....

The sweet spot seems to be running only 5 or 5 cameras instead of 7. There appears to be a bottleneck when I run above 500mb/s data in BI

This is when it is doing well when I keep 1-2 cams unplugged:

This is what it looks like when I run the last 7th camera:

Last edited:

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just swapped out an ethernet cable from Dell computer to Asus router and now data has increased to 600mb/s! Maybe the patch cables are the bottle neck. Maybe I should make my own and avoid the premade ones that come with your router etc.

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's looking better.

You could try and set your cameras video bit rate to 4 or 5 kbps and see if that helps. I generally run my 3 MP cameras at 4 kbps and my 4 MP cameras at 5 kbps. You said you set your cameras to 20 fps, but I see some near 25 fps in your screenshot...however your cameras are set should be pretty close to how they are reflected on the Cameras status page in BI.

Do you have your Dell plugged and your Dahua switch plugged into your router and all of your cameras plugged into the Dahua switch? If everything is gigabit, there really should be no bottlenecks there. Even if your router is 100mb, you should still be fine.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think I have all of my camera set at 25 frames per second ntsc. I used to have them at 20 but thought I would update to see what he could handle.

I do not have it plugged in the way that you described. I have the Dell computer plugged into the router, and the switch plugged into the router is well. I do not have The Dell plug directly into the switch, is that how I was supposed to do it? What is the difference?

Thank you very much for the help

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you can plug the Dell and cameras into the same switch and then test, that would eliminate the router being a bottleneck. With only 8 ports, that would max out your switch and you would not be able to plug your switch into your router, but just for testing it should be fine.

Your router should be able to handle that traffic no problem, but this is just an experiment to see if it is the problem or not.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I left the remote site after getting your info about dell direct to switch. Will have to try that in a few weeks.

You are right Tangent!

Reading thread now @bp2008 thanks for the link!

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok, did everything suggested on the Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk tutorial. Appreciate that link, I have been looking for something like that for a few days.

HERE is where I am at now. Sometimes I can get 5 cameras to run at 25fps, sometimes not. Right now 7 cameras running I get 5-12fps. I can't pin point the rhyme or reason it fluctuates. Last night before I went to bed it was running 25fps on 3 cams all the way until this morning until I enabled the other cams. I increased my internet plan to 10 mb upload to improve team viewer remote experience.

Why does BI say the CPU is at 98% and task manger says 46%? It is advisable to turn off one CPU core so that the rest of the Dell is more responsive. Seems like when I have all 7 for BI the computer comes to a crawl.

Current fps. I'd like to do better :(

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you sure this machine is an i7-6700?

If you PM me your teamviewer details I can log in and see if I can find whatever is wrong.

Something is certainly odd here.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Why does BI say the CPU is at 98% and task manger says 46%?
When logged in via teamviewer it hogs serious amounts of cpu...much more than the task manager reports..you can test this by disconnecting teamviewer and using the blue iris mobile app to view cpu use.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
PMd you.

Ebay listing said: "Dell Optiplex 3040 SFF - i7-6700 Quad - 8GB RAM - 128GB SSD- Win 10 PRO"

Don't know where to check in the windows menus for actual stats.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When logged in via teamviewer it hogs serious amounts of cpu...much more than the task manager reports..you can test this by disconnecting teamviewer and using the blue iris mobile app to view cpu use.
Well that would make better sense then. I was thrown off by what little CPU it reports on the task manager for Team viewer.

Looking for a way to remotely check fps and CPU with team viewer off. BI IOS app isn't connecting, will get that fixed too.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Well we know it has 8 threads at least, from your videos, so it is probably the correct CPU.