Update and Memory

tf9623

n3wb
Reaction score
I just fired off a couple of separate emails to support and I'll drop them here to see if anyone has any ideas - I've gone through everything and tried to tweak and now I'm on fresh hardware - plenty of CPU, memory, disk, and disk throughput - no extras.

No auto updates, no file history, no extra processes running. This is a workstation dedicated to BI. I went apesh*t and just provisioned it for future growth and it's great but I have this lingering issue that has now followed me from the old hardware environment where I just exported the registry and built a very clean slimmed-down (featurewise) Windows 10 Pro build with the Intel Skull Canyon NUC6i7KYK - i7-6700 something, 32GB, 512GBSamsung 960 Pro, and a 1TB 960 Pro.

I've got 14-16 cameras - mostly HiK - running mostly 1920x1080 - some at 2whatever by whatever (4mp), 6 fps, direct-to-disc, hardware decoding inbound only (not on playback), 5 fps for web access, lots of other tweaks trying to follow best practices and everyone's experience so I'm missing something.

Windows updates are off, BI updates are off. BI runs a service as SYSTEM (on old hardware BI ran as a service as a local admin). When I manually kick off an update it hangs at the point that it should be killing BlueIrisService.exe. I wrote a simple script that I kick off (and I've gotten good at it) right at the moment it needs to finish the update that simply does "taskkill.exe /f /im BlueIrisService.exe /f" so for whatever reason the update won't kill that service. In fact its a bitch to kill it at any time.

Let's say I reboot and log in. BlueIrisService.exe has already kicked off and that process is running as SYSTEM. I have the console in the startup folder so that runs in the local user context and that is a local admin user.

Memory will start off around 2-3GB and CPU is under 20. Memory will just climb slowing and CPU and within 24 hours or so we're pegged at 80-90-100% and memory will climb up to 7GB or more but never more than 8.

My workaround is just a scheduled task to reboot every 24 hours that that thing boots fast and the service fires off but I don't autologin. What is most important is capturing and saving the video - console is just gravy but we do prefer to have the console running as it is on a shelf in the living room. I have the monitor on a zwave outlet with a rule that if no motion in that room for more than 90 minutes it powers off - that has nothing to do with this but I am aware of burning the monitor so I wanted to have a solution.

When my wife walks in the room she wants that thing on so the motion sees her and turns the power to the monitor on before she gets there - pretty cool..

What am I missing or where should I look? I'm going to start digging in because I remember there are threads about CPU and memory but if you have any ideas throw 'em out..

I also script backing up the registry hive for BI daily so if I needed to rebuild this thing I could do it fast.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just fired off a couple of separate emails to support and I'll drop them here to see if anyone has any ideas - I've gone through everything and tried to tweak and now I'm on fresh hardware - plenty of CPU, memory, disk, and disk throughput - no extras.

No auto updates, no file history, no extra processes running. This is a workstation dedicated to BI. I went apesh*t and just provisioned it for future growth and it's great but I have this lingering issue that has now followed me from the old hardware environment where I just exported the registry and built a very clean slimmed-down (featurewise) Windows 10 Pro build with the Intel Skull Canyon NUC6i7KYK - i7-6700 something, 32GB, 512GBSamsung 960 Pro, and a 1TB 960 Pro.

I've got 14-16 cameras - mostly HiK - running mostly 1920x1080 - some at 2whatever by whatever (4mp), 6 fps, direct-to-disc, hardware decoding inbound only (not on playback), 5 fps for web access, lots of other tweaks trying to follow best practices and everyone's experience so I'm missing something.

Windows updates are off, BI updates are off. BI runs a service as SYSTEM (on old hardware BI ran as a service as a local admin). When I manually kick off an update it hangs at the point that it should be killing BlueIrisService.exe. I wrote a simple script that I kick off (and I've gotten good at it) right at the moment it needs to finish the update that simply does "taskkill.exe /f /im BlueIrisService.exe /f" so for whatever reason the update won't kill that service. In fact its a bitch to kill it at any time.

Let's say I reboot and log in. BlueIrisService.exe has already kicked off and that process is running as SYSTEM. I have the console in the startup folder so that runs in the local user context and that is a local admin user.

Memory will start off around 2-3GB and CPU is under 20. Memory will just climb slowing and CPU and within 24 hours or so we're pegged at 80-90-100% and memory will climb up to 7GB or more but never more than 8.

My workaround is just a scheduled task to reboot every 24 hours that that thing boots fast and the service fires off but I don't autologin. What is most important is capturing and saving the video - console is just gravy but we do prefer to have the console running as it is on a shelf in the living room. I have the monitor on a zwave outlet with a rule that if no motion in that room for more than 90 minutes it powers off - that has nothing to do with this but I am aware of burning the monitor so I wanted to have a solution.

When my wife walks in the room she wants that thing on so the motion sees her and turns the power to the monitor on before she gets there - pretty cool..

What am I missing or where should I look? I'm going to start digging in because I remember there are threads about CPU and memory but if you have any ideas throw 'em out..

I also script backing up the registry hive for BI daily so if I needed to rebuild this thing I could do it fast.
Search memory leak... It's an intel driver issue

tf9623

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you sir - you know you have mentioned it before and unrelated but I had an issue last week where I couldn't get two built-in DP ports to work at the same time and the answer was updated video driver - will try that now and we'll see how it goes.

tf9623

n3wb
Reaction score
I did go in and update the video and so far that seems to have done the trick. Here's the deal - I manually had installed the Creators Update for 10 and that contained a newer driver than Intel themselves is publishing for the 580 (I think) video. So getting to a Intel-released driver vs one from MS seems to have done the trick. This morning it was still barely at 20% and 3.5GB which is normal.

tf9623

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you. So it isn't just me :). I will check it out. Did you just script killing it the process? I made a quick and dirty script but didn't automate anything. Just one line. You did it right. Thanks a lot.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That helper tool checks the running processes every 1.5 seconds. If it finds any blueiris.exe processes running from the same folder as an "update*.exe" then it kills the blueiris.exe processes and waits for update.exe to stop before continuing its loop.