Updating to Blue Iris 4 issue

WalkinPaul

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a very long time Blue Iris user.

I just downloaded and installed Blue Iris 4. I then paid for, received the license number, typed it in and registered Blue Iris 4 and received the full license screen. (I got the half off discount too. (Thanks).)

Now, when I go to start Blue Iris 4 by double clicking on the new Blue Iris admin icon, I receive a pop up window that has a red X on it, blue iris in the title block, and an error message that states:

{"reason":"account disabled"} (See attachment)

I click OK button on that window and it closes and Blue Iris does not start.

Do I need to just wait a bit longer for Ken to press the button on his server to activate my account, or is this a known problem?

Maybe my credit card didn't go through?

I had (and may still have) Blue Iris 3 working great on this computer.

I have rebooted a few times too, but get the same error.

Do I need to uninstall Blue Iris 3 before installing? (see attachment)

Anyone else solve this issue?

Thanks in advance.:)

Attachments

WalkinPaul

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for reply. I Rebooted, run as administer, same error.

Last edited by a moderator:

NixMarl

n3wb
Reaction score
I downloaded the Demo (Blue Iris 4.0.1.2), installed it, ran it a few days without a single issue.
Then I got a notice saying there was an update to my Blue Iris 4. I installed the update (with 10 days demo left) and now have Blue Iris 4.1.6.0
I try to bring up the program and I get the exact same message. Seem to me they broke something in the update.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I downloaded the Demo (Blue Iris 4.0.1.2), installed it, ran it a few days without a single issue.
Then I got a notice saying there was an update to my Blue Iris 4. I installed the update (with 10 days demo left) and now have Blue Iris 4.1.6.0
I try to bring up the program and I get the exact same message. Seem to me they broke something in the update.
The update works for me...try uninstalling and reinstall the demo..

WalkinPaul

n3wb
Reaction score
Maybe I should uninstall and try re-installing again? I just cut and pasted the license from the web page. I don't remember if it had the dashes or not, but it did except the new license key and said I had full access.

NixMarl

n3wb
Reaction score
Tried uninstalling and re-installing numerous times. Think it could be that I create a new user and disable the "admin" account?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Tried uninstalling and re-installing numerous times. Think it could be that I create a new user and disable the "admin" account?
You need to leave the admin account that is automatically created by this new version. Blue iris will recreate the account if you delete it. However, if you uncheck it, you will get the error in the OP. I just tested it. @WalkinPaul this should solve your problem. The easiest solution is to uninstall and reinstall. If you are comfortable with the registry, under perspective software>server>users find the admin, then there is an entry called enabled. Set the value to 1 instead of zero.
This seems to be a bug...you can email support and let the developer know...there is no reason to disable this account though...

WalkinPaul

n3wb
Reaction score
So should I uninstall, re-install, and make sure the check mark is on install admin account?

Originally, I just downloaded and installed. I didn't click on anything.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So should I uninstall, re-install, and make sure the check mark is on install admin account?

Originally, I just downloaded and installed. I didn't click on anything.
I edited my post, you can also make the change via the registry...to enable the admin account.

NixMarl

n3wb
Reaction score
I didn't delete the account, just unchecked the box for it. I will test again shortly. ATM I am cooking for my kiddos. :) Thanks for the help, gave me the idea that might have been it and I'm glad someone else tested it. I got tired of uninstalling and re-installing... LOL

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't delete the account, just unchecked the box for it. I will test again shortly. ATM I am cooking for my kiddos. :) Thanks for the help, gave me the idea that might have been it and I'm glad someone else tested it. I got tired of uninstalling and re-installing... LOL
Yes i confirmed that the error only occurs when unchecking. The registry fix is quick and easy if you are comfortable with it.
i emailed the developer...

WalkinPaul

n3wb
Reaction score
@fenderman and NixMarl. 4.1.6.0 w32 is working!

(See attached screen shot of registry.)

I changed enabled to 1, rebooted, double clicked on the Blue Iris Admin Icon and didn't get the error.

Thank you so much.

You people rule! :victorious::victorious::victorious::very_drunk::applouse:

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@WalkinPaul Great, Credit goes to Nixmarl!
Side note, I would disable the automatic installation of updates...install them when there is a new feature you need or an issue you are having, or at the very least, on your own schedule so you can monitor any issues.

NixMarl

n3wb
Reaction score
I think the admin setting to 0 would be an "optional feature" for those who want to install the service on a machine that will be accessed by someone other than the "Admin". That way they cannot load the console and change the settings, but can log in from remote and change things. Yes? No?

In either case it should have a warning...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the admin setting to 0 would be an "optional feature" for those who want to install the service on a machine that will be accessed by someone other than the "Admin". That way they cannot load the console and change the settings, but can log in from remote and change things. Yes? No?
According to the what's new section of the help file

• Admin console sessions and anonymous-admin remote sessions now have their own automatically created Options/Users account "admin". For security, it will not be possible to login with this account remotely unless you assign it a password (or had a pre-existing admin account with a password). This will aid in the future development of per-user statistics and counters.

WalkinPaul

n3wb
Reaction score
@WalkinPaulGreat, Credit goes to Nixmarl!
Side note, I would disable the automatic installation of updates...install them when there is a new feature you need or an issue you are having, or at the very least, on your own schedule so you can monitor any issues.

Duly noted on the auto-download tip.

Thanks everyone! I owe you one.

Attachments

hikup2332

n3wb
Reaction score
Still broken as of yesterday.In registry,high light "enable" and right click.click "modify" to change value in box, simple.Thanks fenderman.

hikup2332

n3wb
Reaction score
Amazing that one click can shut a person out of BI. I don't even remember what I changed or disabled.