Upgrade Hikvistion DS-2DF5274 firmware with Telnet

Reaction score
Hi, I don't know why, but our camera didn't connect to tftp server automatically and maintence->remote_upgraded failed,

So I attempt this, but I failed :

1. run tftp server on 192.0.0.128 computer
  2. copy firmware file sides of tftp server that download from this link :
    www.hikvision.com/en/us/download_more.asp?id=1508
  3. connect to camera with Telnet:
    Code:
    telnet 192.0.0.64
    user:admin
    pass:12345
  4. run this command:
    Code:
    tftp -r digicap.dav -g 192.168.0.0128
    I get this error:
    Code:
    tftp writr Error: No space left on device

My camera information is :

Code:
[TABLE="class: deviceinfotable, width: 690"]
[TR]
[TD="class: rowheader deviceinfotd, bgcolor: #F8F8F8"]Model[/TD]
[TD="class: deviceinfotd"]DS-2DF5274-A3[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: rowheader deviceinfotd, bgcolor: #F8F8F8"]Serial No.[/TD]
[TD="class: deviceinfotd"]DS-2DF5274-A320130311BBWR418071537B[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: rowheader deviceinfotd, bgcolor: #F8F8F8"]Firmware Version[/TD]
[TD="class: deviceinfotd"]V5.1.5 build 140305[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: rowheader deviceinfotd, bgcolor: #F8F8F8"]Encoding Version[/TD]
[TD="class: deviceinfotd"]V5.6 build 140228[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that you may not have used the Hikvision-specific TFTP server.

Normally the upgrade is part of an automated process that the camera performs at power-on when there is a listening Hikvision TFTP server at the 192.0.0.128 address with the digicap.dav firmware file in the same folder as the TFTP server executable.
The status of any attempted connection would show in the window of the 'Hikvision TFTP server' program.

On the telnet access to a running camera - I'm not familiar with that model - but there is unlikely to be an 'upgrade' command at the command line.
If there was - you'd need to check for a mount point with enough free space to download the upgrade file.
Use the command 'df' to show used and free space.
Your camera may vary - but there is usually enough in the /dav folder (cd /dav then TFTP get the file)

Reaction score
I'm guessing that you may not have used the Hikvision-specific TFTP server.

Normally the upgrade is part of an automated process that the camera performs at power-on when there is a listening Hikvision TFTP server at the 192.0.0.128 address with the digicap.dav firmware file in the same folder as the TFTP server executable.
The status of any attempted connection would show in the window of the 'Hikvision TFTP server' program.

On the telnet access to a running camera - I'm not familiar with that model - but there is unlikely to be an 'upgrade' command at the command line.
If there was - you'd need to check for a mount point with enough free space to download the upgrade file.
Use the command 'df' to show used and free space.
Your camera may vary - but there is usually enough in the /dav folder (cd /dav then TFTP get the file)

Thanks,
I have done all the steps, but when rebooting the camera nothing happens.
in window of 'Hikvision TFTP server' program writes : [2015-06-15 17:33:36] TFTP server [192.0.0.128] initialized
Nothing else during camera reboot,

so I cp '
digicap.dav' to /dev manually and reboot it, noting happen again!there is enough space on /dev :

how to tell camera read "digicap.dav" from "/dev/digicap.dav" and reboot ?
digicap.dav is 19.2M

Thanks,

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use the tftp program don' t close it after the digicap.dav is copied, open a connection with an ftp to the camera there you will see the copied digicap.dav file you have just sent to the camera.
On the reboot it will flash the file and then delete it.
If you copy what ever fw you want to load just replace the digicap.dav but it must be region matched

Reaction score
One does not need to use tftp nor the tftp server. If you're running Linux:
My camera was DS-2CD2032-I HikVision.
Set up your Linux machine's IP address on its network card (NIC) as Manual ivp4 192.0.0.128 and with Netmask of 255.255.255.0 . If you have a network card with more than one LAN port, then select a LAN port you're not using and set its IP address as 192.0.0.128 with Netmask of 255.255.255.0.
Connect the camera with a LAN cable to the LAN port on the Linux computer which you set to manual (not DHCP) IP of 192.0.0.128. The camera expects to connect to 192.0.0.128 (I think - this did work but another IP might work too - I'm a network noob! it might be the Manual (fixed or manual IP not DHCP) and Netmask that's most important).
Now on the computer ($ is the prompt):
1. get the firmware downloaded onto your Linux machine. Unzip the folder and find the digicap.dav file, which you'll be uploading to the camera's root i.e. / directory.
The firmware file MUST have the name of digicap.dav as that's what the camera expects.

2. Upload the digicap.dav firmware file to the camera. Go to the Linux directory containing the digicap.dav file and open a terminal window there. Or open a terminal window and cd into the directory containing the digicap.dav file.
A. In the above mentioned terminal window at the Linux computer prompt $
$ ftp 192.0.0.64
$ put digicap.dav
wait until the upload completes. You just uploaded digicap.dav into the root directory of the camera (at its factory default IP address of 192.0.0.64).
Now log onto the camera itself from the Linux computer using the following command:
$ telnet 192.0.0.64
The camera's root user prompt # should appear
#
Now type the command on the camera's prompt
# upgrade
You should see some messages about BURNING then a series of dots at the camera's # prompt then a # when it's done burning the firmware
#...............#
hit return for the camera prompt
#
then
# reboot
to reboot the camera.
I found that the only firmware I could get to work for my DS-2CD2032-I HikVision was that given here:
I'd messed up my firmware attempting to upgrade but was able (after several hours of torturous work) to recover the camera's function.
Most of the tftp servers I tried failed and were frustrating. I think it's just easier to do upload and burn firmward manually. If you mess up, so long as you can find good firmware, you'll be able to try any number of upgrades. If they fail, you can always fall back to good firmware if you're confident you have it.
BUT, make sure you have a working digicap.dav firmware file before you experiment! Otherwise you might have to waste hours like I did.

I'm pretty sure Windows or MAC OS will work for the above too, provided you can set up a proper network connection to the camera as described above and you have a method to transfer the firmware file, digicap.dav, to the / (root) directory of the camera. I don't know for sure, but the upgrade command on the camera might be redundant and it might automatically be performed if the digicap.dav file is in the camera's root directory when the camera is rebooted. I wasn't sure so I manually initiated the firmware burn via the camera's upgrade command.
You will also notice that after the camera is up and running that you won't be able to telnet to the camera. This function can be restored from the camera's settings, but when the camera firmware comes up, the telnet function is disabled. It might be a good idea to leave that disabled unless you're wanting to do the next firmware update manually.
Best,
Phil
Use the tftp program don' t close it after the digicap.dav is copied, open a connection with an ftp to the camera there you will see the copied digicap.dav file you have just sent to the camera.
On the reboot it will flash the file and then delete it.
If you copy what ever fw you want to load just replace the digicap.dav but it must be region matched

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I found that the only firmware I could get to work for my DS-2CD2032-I HikVision was that given here:
If it's a Chinese region camera, it can be converted to EN and fully updated with the method described here instead of using hacked firmware :

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried the "brick-fix tool" and tried burning both EN and CN .dav versions and my camera was still bricked.
That firmware just provides the environment and scripting to do the conversion and upgrade steps, by itself it doesn't operate the camera.

What did the log transcript of the fixup script show?
What firmware did you apply in Stage 3?

Reaction score
Hi,
It appears I did something wrong or incomplete? I'd basically uploaded the digicap.dav file to the camera's root directory using ftp, then telneted to the camera and ran upgrade command from the camera's terminal prompt, as described in my earlier post.
Was there more to it? The camera reported BURNING then returned to it's terminal prompt, at which point I rebooted the camera.
Thanks,
Phil

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It appears I did something wrong or incomplete? I'd basically uploaded the digicap.dav file to the camera's root directory using ftp, then telneted to the camera and ran upgrade command from the camera's terminal prompt, as described in my earlier post.
Was there more to it? The camera reported BURNING then returned to it's terminal prompt, at which point I rebooted the camera.
Yes, there was more to it.
Following the step-by-step guide - after installation of the brickfixV2 firmware, the fixup script needs to be run.
"At the telnet command prompt, type:
/dav/fixup.sh
and watch the on-screen messages."
This takes you through the various stages of the conversion and upgrade process.
And provides the transcript log file direct to the PC.