Upgrade time! Need Suggestions for better night performance.

Justintoxicated

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok so I got the second new camera installed today. It's slow going getting this done right.

The zoomed camera should be able to get most plates if given an opportunity. While the other one watches the driveway. Really impressed with both these new cameras. 4-16mm (ultra starlight) and 7-35mm (starlight)

I'm bummed that I can't setup presets for the varifocal 7-35mm I would like to use a different profile and zoom level at night and un-zoom it back durring the day. I can click a button in blue iris and even in IP Cam Viewer from my phone to zoom out all the way, and then zoom back in 80% of the way. But I can't click a preset because the camera does not support them. So if I accidentally click this button on my phone while away, on vacation, camping etc. I have no way to set it back to the zoom level I have specified that is really annoying.

On the bright side turning headlights on does not defeat the camera, and I can still read the plate unlike my old ones :)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One last thing, should I be able to spin the arm the camera is attached to? on my old cameras I could spin this arm to get more adjustment but it did not seem to want to rotate on this one?
Hi Justintoxicated,

Looks really nice.

Yes, you should be able to get quite a bit of spin as well as angles from that camera. Just loosen the torx screw at the base enough and you should be able to adjust appropriately.

Justintoxicated

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Justintoxicated,

Looks really nice.

Yes, you should be able to get quite a bit of spin as well as angles from that camera. Just loosen the torx screw at the base enough and you should be able to adjust appropriately.
Yea noticed that today, really good adjustment in these guys. Wow imgur really removes a ton of detail from the images. The actual images look much better than the ones I posted :) I'll see if I can post to flickr or something maybe.

Edit:
Now I want more cameras, not sure if I should get some more ultras, or maybe trying something new. PTZ maybe?

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yea noticed that today, really good adjustment in these guys. Wow imgur really removes a ton of detail from the images. The actual images look much better than the ones I posted :) I'll see if I can post to flickr or something maybe.

Edit:
Now I want more cameras, not sure if I should get some more ultras, or maybe trying something new. PTZ maybe?
Upload pics directly to here.

Varifocal cams are not designed to be used for changing the zoom frequently, they are designed to set it and forget it.

With that said, @bp2008 made this that can do as you wish.
GitHub - bp2008/DahuaSunriseSunset: A Windows Service which changes the profile of dahua cameras between Night and Day at each sunset and sunrise.

Justintoxicated

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Upload pics directly to here.

Varifocal cams are not designed to be used for changing the zoom frequently, they are designed to set it and forget it.

With that said, @bp2008 made this that can do as you wish.
GitHub - bp2008/DahuaSunriseSunset: A Windows Service which changes the profile of dahua cameras between Night and Day at each sunset and sunrise.
Hey thanks I'll have to give that a shot.
If they are not designed to change the zoom frequently then why can I change to min/max zoom by pressing a button? I'd rather not be able to change zoom at all from my phone or blue iris because once it gets changed I can't change it back to my custom setting. I didn't realize I had to buy PTZ just to get preset zoom levels (no need for Pan or tilt for me just zoom)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey thanks I'll have to give that a shot.
If they are not designed to change the zoom frequently then why can I change to min/max zoom by pressing a button? I'd rather not be able to change zoom at all from my phone or blue iris because once it gets changed I can't change it back to my custom setting. I didn't realize I had to buy PTZ just to get preset zoom levels (no need for Pan or tilt for me just zoom)
It can be disabled in BI.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
2 MP gets both front LP through headlight glare and rear LP directly lit.

This is a really good video. Was there a trigger event that made the camera follow the car?

What if the camera was set to 24/7? Would it still get those angles?

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is a really good video. Was there a trigger event that made the camera follow the car?

What if the camera was set to 24/7? Would it still get those angles?
Not sure what you mean by trigger event. The camera saw the car and then followed it so I guess the car appearing was the trigger event.

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by trigger event. The camera saw the car and then followed it so I guess the car appearing was the trigger event.
wow...was this a cam with motion tracking, or was that you manually controlling the cam to follow the vehicle??...that was great!

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
wow...was this a cam with motion tracking, or was that you manually controlling the cam to follow the vehicle??...that was great!
Yeah, I was trying to ask the same question.