Upgrade to NVR or continue with NAS

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi and welcome @intention Did you see any mention there on the Qnap page stating it supports more than motion detection?

QVR Pro Open Surveillance Platform
QNAPS QVR PRO looks great and seems to have some good features. I am only familiar with Synologys surveillance station. It is nice, but very basis. QVR pro seem like a nice lead forward. Reminds me of another MVS (Digital Watchgod / NX witness). Their new licensing is great, you get 8 camera licenses as opposed synologys models.
I got my new mini PC to run as an NVR, but I am very intrigued with the Qnap. I need to upgrade my 6 yr old NAS anyway.

bank

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Another vote for QNAP QVR Pro. It's been developing well in the last few months and support have been very responsive. N.B. I think it gets expensive over 8 cameras.

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I looked at BI and did not like the interface and it just seemed a bit dated although I am sure it is a great piece of software. I can't deal with the color scheme. I looked at DW offering, it was good but at the moment they do not have any native support for analytics or support in camera intelligence (trip wire etc) Although I was told it is coming early next year.

I found synolgy very cumbersome to use their NAS hardware specs were a limiting factor in terms of performance. I have been a Surveillance station user for the past 6 yrs on and off. (I got suckered into buying a few nest cameras glad I saw the light of day again).

With all that say, I bought a QNAP and have upgraded its ram and threw in a few purple drives in it and it has become my surveillance rig. I love the software (QRV Pro) IT is missing some features, but it brings to the table others.
It is a mix of Synolgy and DW. The hardware runs solid so far with 8 cameras 4-8MP recording 24/7. I am going to 4MP cameras but it has nothing to do with hardware not being able to handle 8MP.

Last but not least, they support Hikvision cameras natively - meaning in camera analytics. Unfortunately that is not the case with Dahua cameras, but they are supported otherwise. I have a good mix of dahua and Hikvsion so I am okay.

The only problem with QVR is that is you need 9 cameras, you can not just buy ONE more license. You have to pay up and purchase another 8 (for a total of 16 and some additional functionality)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I looked at BI and did not like the interface and it just seemed a bit dated although I am sure it is a great piece of software. I can't deal with the color scheme. I looked at DW offering, it was good but at the moment they do not have any native support for analytics or support in camera intelligence (trip wire etc) Although I was told it is coming early next year.

I found synolgy very cumbersome to use their NAS hardware specs were a limiting factor in terms of performance. I have been a Surveillance station user for the past 6 yrs on and off. (I got suckered into buying a few nest cameras glad I saw the light of day again).

With all that say, I bought a QNAP and have upgraded its ram and threw in a few purple drives in it and it has become my surveillance rig. I love the software (QRV Pro) IT is missing some features, but it brings to the table others.
It is a mix of Synolgy and DW. The hardware runs solid so far with 8 cameras 4-8MP recording 24/7. I am going to 4MP cameras but it has nothing to do with hardware not being able to handle 8MP.

Last but not least, they support Hikvision cameras natively - meaning in camera analytics. Unfortunately that is not the case with Dahua cameras, but they are supported otherwise. I have a good mix of dahua and Hikvsion so I am okay.

The only problem with QVR is that is you need 9 cameras, you can not just buy ONE more license. You have to pay up and purchase another 8 (for a total of 16 and some additional functionality)
Lol, anyone who considers the whether or not the interface is dated when considering a VMS is a fool. It's the feature set and cost that is important. Blue iris blows both of those out of the water.

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am sure it is good, I downloaded it didn't like it, so I moved on. I would make the color scheme to it can be changed - maybe it can be changed, I looked and could not find out how.
DW seemed very very basic - I give you that.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am sure it is good, I downloaded it didn't like it, so I moved on. I would make the color scheme to it can be changed - maybe it can be changed, I looked and could not find out how.
DW seemed very very basic - I give you that.
like i said, it is foolish to even consider the "color scheme" when choosing a vms. That makes no sense. Sorry for your OCD.

FoxCR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
man, you are making curious now.. I am going to have to try it.