Upgrading existing system

sssick

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone!!! I posted this in the new member area, but didn't get much traffic.

I recently purchased a home that had a camera system installed. I want to upgrade, as I cant see anything at night. Like zero.

There are 4 cameras in total. 1 pinhole with intercom at the front door, one dome over the garage, and 2 bullets covering the backyard. Has a crappy Swann DVR and all cameras are run with siamese RG59 cable.

All of the rooms including the basement are finished, so running new cables is not ideal. I can do it, but really don't want to cut into the walls if I don't have to. I spoke with Andy via PM on this forum, and he recommended using the Dahua NVR with ePoE so I can use the old cables with adapters to run a full IP system.

I was originally going to get the Dahua Hybrid DVR to run 4 CVI 4K starlights and then use the IP to add any additional cameras.

Also, I'm not sure what to do with the doorbell camera, I'm trying to avoid going wireless. I have CAT6 and RG59 at the doorbell, so I can pretty much use any camera there.

I thought I had my system picked out, and while doing some research on here, most people agree that Blue Iris with a dedicated PC is the ideal setup. Now I am totally conflicted on what to do here.

Does anyone have any suggestions or input on my best course of action? Looking to keep the budget around $1000 but will go over if I need to.

Thanks for any help!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!!! I posted this in the new member area, but didn't get much traffic.

I recently purchased a home that had a camera system installed. I want to upgrade, as I cant see anything at night. Like zero.

There are 4 cameras in total. 1 pinhole with intercom at the front door, one dome over the garage, and 2 bullets covering the backyard. Has a crappy Swann DVR and all cameras are run with siamese RG59 cable.

All of the rooms including the basement are finished, so running new cables is not ideal. I can do it, but really don't want to cut into the walls if I don't have to. I spoke with Andy via PM on this forum, and he recommended using the Dahua NVR with ePoE so I can use the old cables with adapters to run a full IP system.

I was originally going to get the Dahua Hybrid DVR to run 4 CVI 4K starlights and then use the IP to add any additional cameras.

Also, I'm not sure what to do with the doorbell camera, I'm trying to avoid going wireless. I have CAT6 and RG59 at the doorbell, so I can pretty much use any camera there.

I thought I had my system picked out, and while doing some research on here, most people agree that Blue Iris with a dedicated PC is the ideal setup. Now I am totally conflicted on what to do here.

Does anyone have any suggestions or input on my best course of action? Looking to keep the budget around $1000 but will go over if I need to.

Thanks for any help!
You can stream from the DVR to blue iris....some will do this well others may choke on sending a bunch of simultaneous streams. Get a beefy DVR.
or use one of these options
Dahua ePoE switch + LR1002 converter

sssick

n3wb
Reaction score
I ended up purchasing the following from Andy:

DHI-NVR-5216-16P-4KS2E (Qty 1)
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE (Qty 3 white 1 black)
LR1002 (Qty 6)
PFA130-E (Qty 3)

I'm in the process of hooking it all up.

Does anyone recommend a doorbell camera? I would prefer a wired version if possible. I read the reviews on the DB11 and was a little conflicted.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I ended up purchasing the following from Andy:

DHI-NVR-5216-16P-4KS2E (Qty 1)
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE (Qty 3 white 1 black)
LR1002 (Qty 6)
PFA130-E (Qty 3)

I'm in the process of hooking it all up.

Does anyone recommend a doorbell camera? I would prefer a wired version if possible. I read the reviews on the DB11 and was a little conflicted.

Thanks
I have this coming later this week to test. GDS3710, Video Door System- Grandstream Networks
its big, but
SIP video calls
POE
Onvif