US Elections (& Politics) :)

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Trump quote of the day:

On July 18, 2015, then-candidate Donald Trump said this about John McCain: "He's not a war hero. He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren't captured."

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Biden campaign declines 'Fox News Sunday' interview, 1 week after Chris Wallace's Trump sitdown

During his interview with Chris Wallace last week, President Trump questioned whether the Democrats' presumptive presidential nominee, Joe Biden, could handle the barrage of questioning that Wallace posed to Trump.

The answer to that question – at least for now – we may never know.

Wallace on Sunday informed viewers that the Biden campaign told Fox News he was “not available” for an interview.

"In our interview last week with President Trump, he questioned whether his Democratic opponent, Joe Biden, could handle a similar encounter,” Wallace said. “This week, we asked the Biden campaign for an interview and they said the former vice president was not available.”

He added, “We’ll keep asking every week.”

Preview: President Trump sits down with Chris Wallace for an exclusive interview on 'Fox News Sunday'Video The Trump campaign has hit Biden for months for abstaining from holding rallies and news conferences while continuing to do interviews amid the coronavirus pandemic. While Biden recently has returned to the stump, Trump and his allies continued to mock the former vice president for “hiding” in his home in Delaware.

Biden’s reticence to do public events, however, has done little to hurt his candidacy as the latest polls had Biden comfortably ahead of Trump both nationally and in key battleground states.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok, let me see now...

First, can't start the day without checking out Morning Joe Scarborough. You may recall that he was a conservative Republican congressman who became so fed up with his party that he left it? It's particularly entertaining knowing that DT watches the show as well and what he hears drives him crazy. Pretty thin skinned guy as you probably have heard.

As I'm a paid subscribe to the NYTimes & Washington Post-- two of the most prestigious news organizations in the world-- I usually spend some time there. After all, it was WAPO that brought Nixon down. We can only hope, 'ay??

What else... oh yeah, Rachel Maddow is pretty cool and spot on with her commentary.

Know little to nothing about The View or Slate and never heard of NowTHis, Vox, Slate but thanks for the tip. I'll have to check 'em out.

NPR? Does it get any better than this??

"fucking HuffPo"? Not a fan 'ay? Ok, they're a bit "New York Post-ish" on the other side of the political spectrum, but quite entertaining at times in any event.

And you?
Thanks for saving me some time. You answered all my future questions.

Reaction score
Ok, let me see now...

First, can't start the day without checking out Morning Joe Scarborough. You may recall that he was a conservative Republican congressman who became so fed up with his party that he left it? It's particularly entertaining knowing that DT watches the show as well and what he hears drives him crazy. Pretty thin skinned guy as you probably have heard.

As I'm a paid subscribe to the NYTimes & Washington Post-- two of the most prestigious news organizations in the world-- I usually spend some time there. After all, it was WAPO that brought Nixon down. We can only hope, 'ay??

What else... oh yeah, Rachel Maddow is pretty cool and spot on with her commentary.

Know little to nothing about The View or Slate and never heard of NowTHis, Vox, Slate but thanks for the tip. I'll have to check 'em out.

"fucking HuffPo"? Not a fan 'ay? Ok, they're a bit "New York Post-ish" on the other side of the political spectrum, but quite entertaining at times in any event.

And you?
I don't have ANY news sources that I automatically assume to be factual or unbiased. That should have been your answer, btw. ;)

For most news events, I look for LOCAL reporting if possible. Nationally, I look at NBC, CBS, and ABC, but I do so with a highly critical eye-- you know-- looking for things like a "journalist" NOT asking tough questions of interviewees from a particular political persuasion, or Blasting those of another persuasion. It certainly seems you seek to reinforce your own bias-- to create more liberal echoes in your liberal echo chamber. You must believe that if you hear the lie and repeat the lie often enough-- that it magically becomes true. No. I wish I could say you are special--- but the truth is that you are just another triggered liberal-- and there are millions of them.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Let's see if anyone can guess what candidate said these words in today's game of "RAMBLING THOUGHTS FROM A PERFECTLY HEALTHY MIND"...

"Well, they have to deal with the — look, there’s institutional segregation in this country. And from the time I got involved, I started dealing with that. Redlining, banks, making sure we are in a position where — look, you talk about education. I propose that what we take the very poor schools, the Title I schools, triple the amount of money we spend from $15 to $45 billion a year. Give every single teacher a raise to the $60,000 level.

Number two, make sure that we bring in to help the teachers deal with the problems that come from home. The problems that come from home. We have one school psychologist for every 1,500 kids in America today. It’s crazy. The teachers are — I’m married to a teacher, my deceased wife is a teacher. They have every problem coming to them. Make sure that every single child does, does in fact, have 3-, 4- and 5-year-olds go to school. Not day care, school.

We bring social workers into homes of parents to help them deal with how to raise their children. It’s not that they don’t want to help, they don’t want — they don’t know quite what to do. Play the radio, make sure the television — excuse me, make sure you have the record player on at night, the phone — make sure that kids hear words. A kid coming from a very poor school — a very poor background — will hear 4 million words fewer spoken by the time they get there."

goldbond

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, let me see now...

And you?
Appreciate the comments on my post and respect that. But, I have to differ completely on reliable news sources. None of what you listed outside possibly NPR is anything worthy of "balanced" journalism. If you want balance and to see/read anything other than the 3 repetitive stories on the ones you listed: CBC, BBC, Al Jazeera, France 24 are the way to go. They do a better job of reporting U.S. news then any source in the U.S. As far as print, the recent events at the NYT regarding Tom Cotton pretty much sums up my opinion of that rag. I have far more respect for the WSJ. Please note I did not list FoxNews. So, please do not categorize me in 1 bucket or another. I am among the minority that don't drink either camps kool-aid. I just look for the least painful "prick"... :D

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Here's a bonus quote. Its one of my favorites. Can anyone guess who said it?

"By the way, you know, I sit on the stand and it’d get hot. I got a lot of — I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun,” and the kids used to come up and reach in the pool and rub my leg down so it was straight and then watch the hair come back up again. I love kids jumping on my lap.”

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, let me see now...

And you?
Do you still believe in the Trump/Russia collusion story that all those people were pushing?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't have ANY news sources that I automatically assume to be factual or unbiased.
That's where I'm at. Even the sources that I generally trust sometimes misrepresent and exaggerate, which I wish they wouldn't do. I don't take a firm stand on anything any more until I feel that I've been able to verify it from multiple sources.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm ok with Fox News, knowing that they openly represent themselves as a biased, opinion talk show, so they will exaggerate. I only consider the Brett Baier/Martha McCulloms as hard news journalists there. CNN, msnbc, etc pretend to be unbiased journalists, which is laughable. They are no different than The View. Their hatred for the President oozes out of every sentence and chyron. All of them.

BobRegnar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
On July 18, 2015, then-candidate Donald Trump said this about John McCain: "He's not a war hero. He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren't captured."
John McCain was a media whore and a bum. He was released in Operation Homecoming in 1973 and then as Senator did his best to abandon those who remained behind. He and John Kerry shut off and ruled out testimony in the Senate hearings on POW Affairs that indicated POWs remained left behind in order to normalize relations with the communists of Vietnam as soon as possible and thereby removing the best leverage for getting them back, dead or alive. During the hearings McCain showcased his old pal Bui Tin.

Trump was right. McCain is no hero.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
John McCain was a media whore and a bum. He was released in Operation Homecoming in 1973 and then as Senator did his best to abandon those who remained behind. He and John Kerry shut off and ruled out testimony in the Senate hearings on POW Affairs that indicated POWs remained left behind in order to normalize relations with the communists of Vietnam as soon as possible and thereby removing the best leverage for getting them back, dead or alive. During the hearings McCain showcased his old pal Bui Tin.

Trump was right. McCain is no hero.
Remember how little the left thought of McCain when he ran for president in 08? Then once he spoke out against Trump, he suddenly became some respected hero of the left. Sound familiar? Cohen, Romney, Mattis....