US Elections (& Politics) :)

Armed&Overclocked

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So is Joe Biden going to do better with China than President Trump? I don't think so. President Trump has been harder on China than any President in recent history.
i supported trump taking on china in his trade war, even though it partially was like shooting ourselves in the foot, because china needed to be taken to task.

That said he seems to have gone out of his way to ignore the whole issue with hong kong, and with his raising of tariffs on other countries aside from china the Chinese tariffs will have little to no effect.

The truth is most of the jobs lost to china will never come back, especially on items produced in bulk and sold for large margins. We simply can't overcome their willingness to use slave labor, and american companies willing to take advantage of that.

that said we can target the the industries where we have a chance, like chip fabrication, and then made trade deals with countries that compete against china in other industries.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Cheap Labor = More Disposable Goods = More Consumerism = Consumer Debt = Modern Day Slavery

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The truth is most of the jobs lost to china will never come back, especially on items produced in bulk and sold for large margins. We simply can't overcome their willingness to use slave labor, and american companies willing to take advantage of that.
That is where tariffs will work. We may pay a little more, but there will be more mfg jobs in the country. Any country that uses slave labor s/b tarriffed to keep things equal. We just need to keep the Union bosses from sending the manufacturing companies back out of country with their hair brain demands.

Armed&Overclocked

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That is where tariffs will work. We may pay a little more, but there will be more mfg jobs in the country. Any country that uses slave labor s/b tarriffed to keep things equal. We just need to keep the Union bosses from sending the manufacturing companies back out of country with their hair brain demands.
raising tariffs can be self defeating though. Doing it against a country like China makes sense given the massive trade deficit we have with them, but doing so on other countries where that deficit is a lot smaller can be self defeating, as raising tariffs on them will result in them raising tariffs on us. This happened after the stock market crashed where politicians wanted to increase the amount of jobs here in the US, but other countries retaliated against us with their own raised tariffs which ended up having an even worse affect on the job market.

also you mentioned union bosses. While i am not particularly pro-union, though they do have their uses, it wasn't just them forcing jobs overseas. American companies are notorious for being focused on "next quarter's profits" and even without unions much of the jobs lost to china would still have happened. whether its to increase profit margin, or to put themselves on an even footing with a competitor that outsourced to china.

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I guess the woke crowd in this country is OK with slavery and racist practices in the p.r.c. making their goods, trinkets, and war machines. Gotta have them profits.. Gotta have cheap knockoffs. Dealing with the Devil will come soon enough, but not quick enough. Are we holding the winning hand? or just smokin' the next killer bud. :smoking:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I think this person is dear wrong in his opinion. With Black voters President Trump has made serious inroads and now even Joe Biden has to spend campaign money on adds to try and woo them back.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Even if he doesn't gain new voters, I'm pretty sure he won last time handily with what he had. I dont see 2016 Trump voters now voting for Basement Joe, regardless of what CNN tells you.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Vote Kermit The Frog for President. It will be Magical, Trust Me

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
More purchases means a bigger landfill. I think the whole point of my previous comment was to show how the modern world works. Choices do not necessarily equate to freedom. People think they're buying quality goods, when in reality the market is very deceiving and full of crap. Back in 1994 a Sony TV would last in excess of 15 years. Fast forward to 2010, $2000 LCD TV lasts only less than 5 years based on the same viewing duration. Things are not built to be as durable as they were before, thus forcing consumers to swallow the loss and rinse and repeat (toss out and buy again). This is happening in a cyclical fashion nowadays. It is even more frustrating when corporations make small incremental changes and then call them next generation; this is from a technological perspective. Then comes furniture; no longer is solid wood prevalent everywhere; now more people venture out to Ikea and Wayfair where compressed wood is the new norm. Just some examples; keep buying and yet the consumer will still never be satisfied. That's how the big corporations get you. Short term purchases = short term happiness. Materialism vs. Minimalism; many people I come across tell me this is essentially modern day slavery where we all are enslaved to our own problems, but we are not entirely responsible. Its just how modern day economics work.

Why can't people choose to not make certain purchases? Unless you're being sarcastic then forgive me.

Armed&Overclocked

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think this person is dear wrong in his opinion. With Black voters President Trump has made serious inroads and now even Joe Biden has to spend campaign money on adds to try and woo them back.
i wouldnt count on black voters coming out en masse for trump. Even if he (trump) made headway in getting more black folk to support him; a lot of black voters were very critical of how tone deaf the president was right after floyd. The main problem with black voters is they largely sit out elections. Obama won handedly because he was able to get them into polling booths. Biden knows that he needs to motivate them again in order to defeat trump, and he probably isnt confident enough in his association with Obama for them to be motivated. This is why, in my opinion, he sought Harris as his running mate when there are better options.

Even if he doesn't gain new voters, I'm pretty sure he won last time handily with what he had. I dont see 2016 Trump voters now voting for Basement Joe, regardless of what CNN tells you.
There are a couple of items you are forgetting. He lost the popular vote and only won by having enough votes in key swing states to garner the EC victory. The second part is a fair number of people who voted trump in 2016 were doing so mainly as an anti-hillary vote; to include many disenfranchised bernie snaders supporters who felt robbed during the DNC primary.

in this election Biden isnt nearly as much of a lightning rod for undecided voters as hillary was. Plus Trump's hype train isnt running as fast as it was in 2016.

with all that said i do think trump has a solid chance of winning the election, but there are a lot more variables at play and many of them aren't in his favor. win or lose i am predicting this is going to be a pretty close election, and will ultimately depend on who will brave the polling stations during a pandemic and how much the USPS screws up the absentee voting system under De Joy's leadership.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I partially agree. Popular vote means absolutely zero in this country. As far as the EC, I remember that night like it was yesterday. The msm media shocked as he took "unwinnable" states one after another. They started the night reporting that Trump had no path to victory. He ended up over 300 electoral votes, with very few black votes.

The current circus acts going on in the streets is only making supporters more determined.

BobRegnar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All this anti-Trump nonsense goes to show how easily the masses are influenced by bullshit being repeated. CNN/Time hasn't spoken/written a true word since their Tailwind fiasco in '98. And now the rest of the media trying to prove they can lie and distort and influence people better.

Most people would be anxious for Trump's second term just based on what he's accomplished in his first. And they wouldn't think they were the least bit unhappy but for the rabid political losers and the media constantly repeating their lies against him telling everyone how unhappy they should be.

And for the military in the room, happy National Airborne Day!

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
FLASHBACK: Obama says “It’s the Post Office that’s always having problems”

SNIP

“I think private insurers should be able to compete.

“They do it all the time.

“I mean, if you think about, if you think about it, um, UPS and FedEx are doing just fine. Right?

“The, uh, no they are.

“I mean, it’s the post office that’s always having problems.”

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
They want 25Billion for the post office to handle the ballots. There are about 153 million registered voters. 25B/153=163. When you teach common core math the net result is $163 dollars for a ballot to go round trip. Not to mention the PO is not going to be insolvent until after the election, they handle over 400 million pieces of mail PER DAY so these ballots are a joke, they wont even feel it.

Armed&Overclocked

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
the places that are losing their sorting machines are going to feel it.

My sister works for the post office, with the cut back in hours and losing the equipment they are having a hard time keeping up with regular day to day stuff. she's in a rural part of the state; i cant imagine what its like in the larger cities.