Using 2 HDD in NVR

nearyj

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, I have the DS-7608NI-E2-8P with 4 cameras attached and 1 HDD installed, if I add a second HDD will this double my record time or will it act like a raid setup and record the same data to both disks ?
Does each HDD use 4 of the 8 lan ports ?
Can I have 1 HDD recording 2 cameras and the other HDD recording the other 2 cameras ?

Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
if I add a second HDD will this double my record time
Yes, it will. It fills one disc, moves on to the other, fills that, moves back to the first' If you have 'overwrite' enabled.
Does each HDD use 4 of the 8 lan ports ?
No, all cameras will be recording simultaneously to the currently active HDD.
Can I have 1 HDD recording 2 cameras and the other HDD recording the other 2 cameras ?
I don't believe so. In any case - you can't access the discs directly, you need to 'export' the recording files via the web GUI.

nearyj

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Alistair for your help and advice, doubling the record time was my aim.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As you can see from the image below, you can have two HDD one set asnormal R/W mode, and the other in redundancy mode. In this way the video is recorded in both HDD simultaneouly from all cameras. You do not get double the hard disk pace and video recording time. What you get is peace of mind in case one of the hdd goes bad. This configuration is smilar to RAID-0 or mirror in the computers. One minor disadvantage is that events log in recorded ony in the first drive and not in both!!! That means that if the redundancy mode hard disk (usually the second drive) goes bad, you loose nothing. If the first drive in the R/W mode goes bad, then you do not loose any video but you loose the events log, which is usfull when you search for the motion events in the NVR native interface.

Attachments

nearyj

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just fitted 2 no. 6TB Seagate enterprise drives into a friends DS-7608NI-E2-8P, the NVR recognised them and formatted them to 5.45 TB each without any problem. I already have 2no. 5TB drives in my machine, so the 4TB limit is not set in stone.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wonder if it will record the full 5.45 TB? It may limit to recording to only 4 TB out of the 5.45 TB and possibly error out when it gets over 4TB. I highly doubt that since it formatted the drives and is showing 5.45 TB, but you never know with tech ;)

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
New firmware apparently supports up to 6TB. If it recognises it, then I can't see it being an issue.

Just got a 6TB and have put it in with my 500GB (yes I only had 500GB and it was fine :D). I don't think it let me do redundancy, would've been nice for the 500GB to store the last 7 days and 6TB store last 60 days. Ah well... will wait for a cheap 6TB to come available.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh I see, I thought the FW was stating only 4TB, I see what was meant when said "not set in stone" That it can be adjusted by a FW update, etc.
I just recently got a 6tb hard drive for my desktop computer for storage. It's a WD Green drive.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Mine's a WD Green too :) The 500GB was on death's door so I stuck it in the NVR a year ago. Still going strong!

Yes I think WD Purple is probably better but IMO it's 99% marketing crap. They are physically the same drive, and all drives have a failure rate being mechanical. And for the price I paid for the WD Green, I'd rather have 2x 4TB Green than 1x 6TB Purple, that's the price difference.

I won't know for 60 days if it goes pass 4TB badmop

Rudyjr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mine's a WD Green too :) The 500GB was on death's door so I stuck it in the NVR a year ago. Still going strong!

Yes I think WD Purple is probably better but IMO it's 99% marketing crap. They are physically the same drive, and all drives have a failure rate being mechanical. And for the price I paid for the WD Green, I'd rather have 2x 4TB Green than 1x 6TB Purple, that's the price difference.

The purple drives were cheaper than the green drive when I purchased my 3 tb through Amazon for some weird reason. I have not checked their pricing lately though.

Biggs

n3wb
Reaction score
Is the Seagate Surveillance HDD also a good alternative to WD purple?

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The only problem in the UK using a seagate HD is in the event of drive failure, it has to go to Amsterdam Holland for Replacement / Exchange that takes nearly 2 week turn around. So to my clients I recommend 2 drives always or at least have access to a replacement drive.

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh I see, I thought the FW was stating only 4TB, I see what was meant when said "not set in stone" That it can be adjusted by a FW update, etc.
I just recently got a 6tb hard drive for my desktop computer for storage. It's a WD Green drive.

Guys my 7806ni with 3.3.4 arrived and the manual states 6tb max disk size.

In fact i got caught out as id ordered the 4tb purple wd and now have to exchange it.

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
can confirm the 6tb drive works fine in the 3.3.4 firmware.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

As the two months interval is approaching, please update us if the NVR will record beyond the 4TB mark.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hdgmc11

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry for bring up an old thread. After you install the second hard drive, is there something you need to do to make the NVR actually write to it? Its installed, but nothing is writing to the new disk. TIA