Using a UPS with Surveillance System, is it recommended?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a couple of smart plugs laying around, its too bad the watt usage is never clearly disclosed when using its Android app. Using a dedicated meter like the one posted by nayr is reasonably enough. :) Thanks for the suggestion

Reaction score
One 14 kWh Powerwall battery $5,500
Installation and supporting hardware starts at $1,500
Total estimate $7,000
Requires $500 deposit for each Powerwall

You buyin?
I am watching most things Elon does. I like the concept of the Powerwall but not totally critical for me now. I do have UPCs by all of my POE switches. I consider them another device with a battery to maintain.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Every self respecting nerd should have one of these in the tool bag: P3 P4400 Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor - Low Temperature Alarms - Amazon.com
LOL, i got several of them, even one for EU. They are more accurate than most people think, so long as the voltage is within ratings, so stock up :)

@fenderman has it right on the monitor. don't plug monitors (or for gods sake printers) into your UPSes. Use a laptop in a black out to remote in if needed. it has its own battery.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
One 14 kWh Powerwall battery $5,500
Installation and supporting hardware starts at $1,500
Total estimate $7,000
Requires $500 deposit for each Powerwall

You buyin?
buy two their small, or buy two in case one breaks, whichever you prefer :0 ) In all seriousness, it is a pretty good value compared to the norm.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
buy two their small, or buy two in case one breaks, whichever you prefer :0 ) In all seriousness, it is a pretty good value compared to the norm.
If you run natural gas, you can install a generac or similar system for half the price and have infinite power...

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe, but in a hurricane where the power is out for 3 days, like I experienced last year, that thing will be dead in a day and then you are screwed anyways. You can buy a generator for like $600 new, or less used and as long as you have fuel, you have power.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
one does not replace the other. a generator still needs a UPS, just less time (Watt hr) is needed. the same power (watts) is needed however, so there is still that cost. A good data center generator will start and deliver stable load in under 8 seconds every time. a residential class generator might take 60 seconds to stabilize and deliver reliable output. if your power is out for 3 days... you are likely SOL no matter what you do as you will be out of gas and wont be on the short list to get more. Zombie apocalypse always comes down to bullets.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
one does not replace the other. a generator still needs a UPS, just less time (Watt hr) is needed. the same power (watts) is needed however, so there is still that cost. A good data center generator will start and deliver stable load in under 8 seconds every time. a residential class generator might take 60 seconds to stabilize and deliver reliable output. if your power is out for 3 days... you are likely SOL no matter what you do as you will be out of gas and wont be on the short list to get more. Zombie apocalypse always comes down to bullets.
You are not understanding. If you have a NATURAL gas powered generator, you have unlimited supply of power. All you need is a cheap 50-100 dollar ups and you are good to go. A $7000 battery is silly unless you have solar and can store extra power for nighttime use.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's another thing, our power if fed through via underground, as well as our meters are tucked within the premises, nothing exposed outside. Another aspect of UPS's is that in the event of power outage, we're only talking about 20 minutes up to an hour of backup power, until that goes offline as well.

Its great to consider every possible variable. Would a UPS still be feasible here?
Doesn't matter if it's encased in concrete, it comes from somewhere, and at some point getting to that point strung through the air. Underground power feeds fail all the time. Modern day electronics don't like brownouts, or even worse a quick power cut, then instantly re-energize. And the surges that come along with that.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
One thing to look out for is if they're discarding UPSes at your workplace. Often times when the batteries go a perfectly good UPS seems dead (ie won't power up). So these typically get tossed.

I picked up a beastly APC SmartUPS from the trash bin at work. I stuck in a new set of batteries and it works great. This particular UPS also supports reprogramming to handle an external battery pack, so I added another battery pack. It ran my desktop computer at idle (monitor off) and wifi router for 4 hours during a power outage once.

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One thing to look out for is if they're discarding UPSes at your workplace. Often times when the batteries go a perfectly good UPS seems dead (ie won't power up). So these typically get tossed.

I picked up a beastly APC SmartUPS from the trash bin at work. I stuck in a new set of batteries and it works great. This particular UPS also supports reprogramming to handle an external battery pack, so I added another battery pack. It ran my desktop computer at idle (monitor off) and wifi router for 4 hours during a power outage once.
This is exactly what I did. I work in IT so I grabbed them before the trash bin and I just had to add batteries. Have a 2k and a 4k APC Smart-UPS running most of my AV, security, and networking gear.