V5 - High CPU when scrolling alerts / playing back

Mike Li

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
EliteDesk G5 800 with i7 and 16GB Ram.

Main disk is 256gb SSD
storage is 2TB HDD
12x cameras, mostly 1080p some 2k resolution, all set to 15fps.

Running on latest version BI v5

Normal usage is around 40% when no one is touching it.

when scrolling through alerts on the left or during play back, the CPU usage shoots up to 90%+ and video play back would slow down and skip frames. same thing using browser remotely or the main desktop.

especially if i try to play back 4x speed or faster, this basically makes it unusable at 100% cpu usage.

I don't understand why playing back or just seeking through videos would use so much CPU? when a $200 NVR with basic processor can play back 4K without breaking a sweat

I have the correct settings and drivers, it has nothing to do with them.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
EliteDesk G5 800 with i7 and 16GB Ram.

Main disk is 256gb SSD
storage is 2TB HDD
12x cameras, mostly 1080p some 2k resolution, all set to 15fps.

Running on latest version BI v5

Normal usage is around 40% when no one is touching it.

when scrolling through alerts on the left or during play back, the CPU usage shoots up to 90%+ and video play back would slow down and skip frames. same thing using browser remotely or the main desktop.

especially if i try to play back 4x speed or faster, this basically makes it unusable at 100% cpu usage.

I don't understand why playing back or just seeking through videos would use so much CPU? when a $200 NVR with basic processor can play back 4K without breaking a sweat

I have the correct settings and drivers, it has nothing to do with them.
You have not setup blue iris correctly. An i7 on a g5, presumably i7-8700 would never use 40 percent on 12 1080 cameras at 15fps.
Read the help file on how to optimize blue iris.
your 200 NVR, does not playback the mainstream on more than 1 camera at 4k. It also does not decode the video like blue iris does, you can have blue iris do this as well.
You likey did not setup direct to disk for each camera or are running the demo

Mike Li

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Like I said, normal usage is normal and the only high cpu time is when playing back and seeking videos (when there’s disk read actions)

No I am not using a demo

Direct to disk and BVR and hardware decoding are all setup correctly.

I’ve been using BI since V4

I had a Hikvisiom NVR prior to this that outputs 4k video and would play back at full 4k @ 30fps. And record all 8 @4k @ 30fps with absolutely no issues.

I just think that there’s an efficiency issues here about how BI uses it’s resources.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Like I said, normal usage is normal and the only high cpu time is when playing back and seeking videos (when there’s disk read actions)

No I am not using a demo

Direct to disk and BVR and hardware decoding are all setup correctly.

I’ve been using BI since V4

I had a Hikvisiom NVR prior to this that outputs 4k video and would play back at full 4k @ 30fps. And record all 8 @4k @ 30fps with absolutely no issues.

I just think that there’s an efficiency issues here about how BI uses it’s resources.
Your normal usage is not normal for that processor. Its VERY high. Something is very wrong with your setup. Are you using a 4k monitor?
I dont care how long you were using BI something is setup wrong.

Your hikvision NVR did NOT playback more than one camera at 4k. In matrix view it displays the sub stream. You CAN record 8 4k cameras at 30 fps with blue iris even on a much weaker processor than yours if you use limit decoding which is what the hikvision NVR is doing. You are comparing apples to oranges because you dont understand how both BI and an NVR work.

Mike Li

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Normal usage at 40% with a 1080p screen on is not normal? It’s set to 10fps

I know they are not the same. I’m just saying. Cheap pos NVR is very capable and there’s no reason my i7 setup is struggling.

Even on BI during playback just one stream on mobile devices, it uses up most of the cpu.

Hikvision NVR can play back one main stream at full resolution @4k 30fps, just for the info

I’ll post screenshots of my setup later when I get home

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Normal usage at 40% with a 1080p screen on is not normal? It’s set to 10fps

I know they are not the same. I’m just saying. Cheap pos NVR is very capable and there’s no reason my i7 setup is struggling.

Even on BI during playback just one stream on mobile devices, it uses up most of the cpu.

Hikvision NVR can play back one main stream at full resolution @4k 30fps, just for the info

I’ll post screenshots of my setup later when I get home
40% is insanely high ARE YOU REMOTING IN??? lets start with confirming your processor!!!! i7-8700?
I have explained the DIFFERENCE between the NVR and BI and further explained how to lower your cpu to nothing in BI when it does what the NVR does!
You pc is NOT behaving correctly!! you think the reset of us cannot playback out cameras without maxing the cpu?
Stop with the hikvision nvr already or perhaps go back to using one if you are too lazy to follow direction.

Mike Li

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I always remote in with VNC

I know something is not right that’s why I posted here. The reason for bringing up Hikvision is to say that such a pos can play back smoothly but my i7 can’t , something is wrong.

I tried every single driver before also and settled on the one recommended by everyone.

It had been like this since v4 days but I left it alone.

I’ll come back with screenshots or settings

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I always remote in with VNC

I know something is not right that’s why I posted here. The reason for bringing up Hikvision is to say that such a pos can play back smoothly but my i7 can’t , something is wrong.

I tried every single driver before also and settled on the one recommended by everyone.

It had been like this since v4 days but I left it alone.

I’ll come back with screenshots or settings
Why is the MODEL of your i7 a state secret, if you cant answer these basic questions no one can gelp you.
You are right, something is wrong, your setup and your understanding of how BI and NVR's work despite explaining it THREE times now. Its not the driver, its user error on your part.
Remoting in with something like vnc/teamviewer adds LOTS of overhead. Attached a monitor to the pc and check your numbers again!

Mike Li

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The 40% usage is when i look at the monitor that is attached to the PC, or from the iOS app.

here are some screenshots, tell me what you think is wrong

I actually have 14 cameras, forgot about the 2 at the fence

and i have 8GB ram instead of 16.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The 40% usage is when i look at the monitor that is attached to the PC, or from the iOS app.

here are some screenshots, tell me what you think is wrong

I actually have 14 cameras, forgot about the 2 at the fence

and i have 8GB ram instead of 16.
Is the vlc connection turned off or still streaming to another location?
this is an i7-7700 so its not a g5, its a g3
Ensure BI program and storage folders are excluded from antivirus.
Now try playing back on the LOCAL monitor.
Ensure pc is set to high performance not balanced.
Limit live preview rates to 10fps.

Mike Li

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
VNC is not streamining to any other device, however VNC server always runs in the background.

I tried playing back locally and on iOS, same thing, CPU skyrockets.
the playing back is not too bad sometimes, unless i go 2x or 4x or faster.
seeking through past alerts / videos is what make the CPU usage almost 100%

I don't have anti virus on this PC, it doesn't run anything else other than BI.
here's a screenshot of the windows virus setting, there's not really a way to completely turn it off

it is set to high performance

live preview is at 7fps

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
VNC is not streamining to any other device, however VNC server always runs in the background.

I tried playing back locally and on iOS, same thing, CPU skyrockets.
the playing back is not too bad sometimes, unless i go 2x or 4x or faster.
seeking through past alerts / videos is what make the CPU usage almost 100%

I don't have anti virus on this PC, it doesn't run anything else other than BI.
here's a screenshot of the windows virus setting, there's not really a way to completely turn it off

it is set to high performance

live preview is at 7fps
you need to exclude the program and storage folders as explained in the help file
is this a clean windows install?

Mr-Gizmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mike Li, are all your IP cameras video encoding configured for H.264 or H.265 or H.264+? Currently, Intel Quick Sync in Blue Iris does not yet support H.265 or H.264+, so make sure your IP cameras are configured to use H.264 otherwise you will get no reduction in CPU utilization. Also, try un-selecting "Also BVR" in Blue Iris camera settings -> Video tab. I believe that it can increase CPU utilization under certain situations.

I don't use VNC for remote management, but I do know the RDP and Teamviewer do increase CPU utilization. Does your CPU utilization drop when there is no active VNC connection and if so what does the CPU drop to?

Mike Li

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Mike Li, are all your IP cameras video encoding configured for H.264 or H.265 or H.264+? Currently, Intel Quick Sync in Blue Iris does not yet support H.265 or H.264+, so make sure your IP cameras are configured to use H.264 otherwise you will get no reduction in CPU utilization. Also, try un-selecting "Also BVR" in Blue Iris camera settings -> Video tab. I believe that it can increase CPU utilization under certain situations.

I don't use VNC for remote management, but I do know the RDP and Teamviewer do increase CPU utilization. Does your CPU utilization drop when there is no active VNC connection?
All cameras are using H264.

I'll try the "Also BVR" setting

The CPU does drop when i'm using it locally, it hovers at around 40%. but as soon as I start playing stored videos, or scrolling down the list of events... cpu spikes up

same thing on mobile device when playing back, it struggles to play smoothly sometimes even at normal 1x speed
when i exit to main screen on ios, i can see CPU is at 90%+

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
If you’ve set your cams to 15fps then change the frame rate in BI to match, have read here that a mismatch can cause issues.

Mr-Gizmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All cameras are using H264.

I'll try the "Also BVR" setting

The CPU does drop when i'm using it locally, it hovers at around 40%. but as soon as I start playing stored videos, or scrolling down the list of events... cpu spikes up

same thing on mobile device when playing back, it struggles to play smoothly sometimes even at normal 1x speed
when i exit to main screen on ios, i can see CPU is at 90%+
I believe unselecting the "Also BVR" will reduce the spike in CPU when viewing clips. Try changing "Video during Remote Desktop" from "5-sec update" to "unrestricted". It won't reduce CPU utilization but it should provide smoother live video frame rates during a remote desktop session. This is located in Settings -> Cameras tab.

Last edited:

Mike Li

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i disabled Also BVR on all cameras. let's see if it makes any improvement in the next few days when i use it

frame rate also matched to actual camera frame rate