Vacant home: cameras or security system?

sporkman

n3wb
Reaction score
This is kind of broad, and my path so far has been seeing some Reolink deals on Newegg, getting the idea maybe I want a small surveillance system, googling Reolink, reading some overly positive reviews w/o sample pics/video and then eventually signing up on this forum.

So my folks are no longer in their home and it's going to be at least 2-3 months before this thing goes on the market. It's in a low-crime area and in the past the house has sat vacant for entire summers while they flee the heat and go north. That's happened for at least 25 years and there's never been a break-in or a sign of any attempts. There are hurricane shutters in place as well, but someone determined could certainly get those open, especially in the back of the home. There's an old minivan, but it's garaged, so I'm not concerned about watching a car in the driveway (stealing cars or stealing things out of cars seems to be the most common theft where I live).

That sort of has me wondering if doing much of anything for a home that only has a handful of valuables that are accessible is even worth it, and if so, do I go all-in with a great system or just toss a cheap 8 channel NVR w/4 cameras or so in there and use it as more of a deterrent and a way to check up when work is supposed to be done on the house (was thinking of adding some indoor cams if we opt to do some remodeling before selling)?

I work with wifi in my day job, so I'm already turned off by any wifi solutions - I don't feel like the reliability is there and if I have to power them, I don't really save any work on installing them. I also don't see value in any system that's not continuously recording, and the battery-powered wifi stuff seems to get decent battery life by just doing motion detect on the camera, which seems like a great way to miss action.

Perhaps the better option here is to just have ADT or someone drop in an alarm system, as that seems far more effective for protecting what's inside the house... although that might also scare off buyers who don't see security systems on comps in the neighborhood...

So in my place, with a small budget and a temporary install (literally I'm not even drilling for the cat5, I'm using any trickery I can to avoid going into a florida attic, aesthetics for a temp setup are not a priority), what might you do? Again, noting the history of no burglaries when this place is vacant... My gut says not to spend more than $600 and get a kind of cheap NVR w/built-in POE and just work on getting good illumination and not doing anything incredibly dumb with camera placement.

Pics from above and in front in case anyone wants to see the layout. The large oaks on either side of the home in these pics are all now gone. Facing the house there's an LED streetlight just out of frame to the right of the driveway.

Screenshot 2023-07-01 at 11.58.36 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-02 at 12.02.07 AM.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
A camera system is not a replacement for an alarm. Screw adt, they will lock you in buy a ring alarm for from costco or amazon for 200 bux and you are done. pay monthly for the monitoring and added cellular backup. This is a temp solution might as well add 2 indoor ring or wyze cameras for visual confirmation - wifi will be fine for this tiny application. You dont want a squatter in there.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
A camera system is not a replacement for an alarm. Screw adt, they will lock you in buy a ring alarm for from costco or amazon for 200 bux and you are done. pay monthly for the monitoring and added cellular backup. This is a temp solution might as well add 2 indoor ring or wyze cameras for visual confirmation - wifi will be fine for this tiny application. You dont want a squatter in there.
Unfortunately there is a time and use for Ring, and I would say this is an appropriate use.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome sporkman

Q: "Vacant home: cameras or security system?" ( parents no longer are on premises )

A: BOTH .. and frequent visits

Let us know how it goes ..

This is kind of broad, and my path so far has been seeing some Reolink deals on Newegg, getting the idea maybe I want a small surveillance system, googling Reolink, reading some overly positive reviews w/o sample pics/video and then eventually signing up on this forum.

So my folks are no longer in their home and it's going to be at least 2-3 months before this thing goes on the market. It's in a low-crime area and in the past the house has sat vacant for entire summers while they flee the heat and go north. That's happened for at least 25 years and there's never been a break-in or a sign of any attempts. There are hurricane shutters in place as well, but someone determined could certainly get those open, especially in the back of the home. There's an old minivan, but it's garaged, so I'm not concerned about watching a car in the driveway (stealing cars or stealing things out of cars seems to be the most common theft where I live).

That sort of has me wondering if doing much of anything for a home that only has a handful of valuables that are accessible is even worth it, and if so, do I go all-in with a great system or just toss a cheap 8 channel NVR w/4 cameras or so in there and use it as more of a deterrent and a way to check up when work is supposed to be done on the house (was thinking of adding some indoor cams if we opt to do some remodeling before selling)?

I work with wifi in my day job, so I'm already turned off by any wifi solutions - I don't feel like the reliability is there and if I have to power them, I don't really save any work on installing them. I also don't see value in any system that's not continuously recording, and the battery-powered wifi stuff seems to get decent battery life by just doing motion detect on the camera, which seems like a great way to miss action.

Perhaps the better option here is to just have ADT or someone drop in an alarm system, as that seems far more effective for protecting what's inside the house... although that might also scare off buyers who don't see security systems on comps in the neighborhood...

So in my place, with a small budget and a temporary install (literally I'm not even drilling for the cat5, I'm using any trickery I can to avoid going into a florida attic, aesthetics for a temp setup are not a priority), what might you do? Again, noting the history of no burglaries when this place is vacant... My gut says not to spend more than $600 and get a kind of cheap NVR w/built-in POE and just work on getting good illumination and not doing anything incredibly dumb with camera placement.

Pics from above and in front in case anyone wants to see the layout. The large oaks on either side of the home in these pics are all now gone. Facing the house there's an LED streetlight just out of frame to the right of the driveway.

View attachment 166734

View attachment 166735

sporkman

n3wb
Reaction score
Man, you guys had me sold on non-wifi, non-cheap-o stuff, especially after looking at that mega thread on how awful most cams are at actually seeing faces. :)

That said, I am really happy to see this isn't a forum full of "one size fits all" solutions, and a consensus here no less on going a budget route. Not being sarcastic here AT ALL, I really appreciate the input.

So I need to do a bit of research on Ring alarms then - any other alarm systems I should be looking at that are in that price range?

Am I correct in assuming these systems do not include police response?

If I did want to go with cheaper cameras that record 24/7 (I have so many spare 4TB hard drives from my NAS box here), is there any good option that's not going to involve lots of cabling? With the big oaks gone from that property, there is a ton of sunlight now - the front of the home faces due east, I almost feel like solar is an option, but I'm not clear on whether any wifi + solar systems do 24/7 recording. I'm really, really not a big fan of "cloud" anything, FWIW, plus the internet there is currently cable, so not a ton of upload available (on Spectrum's cheapest plan).

As for visits, I'll be lucky to get down there once/month... I'm about 1,500 miles away.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You won't find better than Ring Alarm at that price point. For $200/year police or fire will come if triggered.

Your use case makes it best to simply stay in Ring system. You are paying the $200/year and that covers the cams as well.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I would almost just be worried about people when they get inside. Use the alarm as the first line of defense and the cameras if the alarm is triggered. (placing the cameras inside the home)

I use Ring alarm and I think the only options are self-monitored and them-monitored. So, if you subscribe, then you are monitored. The yearly fee also includes any other products, so the cost for your cameras to be recorded to the cloud is included with the alarm.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Man, you guys had me sold on non-wifi, non-cheap-o stuff, especially after looking at that mega thread on how awful most cams are at actually seeing faces. :)

That said, I am really happy to see this isn't a forum full of "one size fits all" solutions, and a consensus here no less on going a budget route. Not being sarcastic here AT ALL, I really appreciate the input.

So I need to do a bit of research on Ring alarms then - any other alarm systems I should be looking at that are in that price range?

Am I correct in assuming these systems do not include police response?

If I did want to go with cheaper cameras that record 24/7 (I have so many spare 4TB hard drives from my NAS box here), is there any good option that's not going to involve lots of cabling? With the big oaks gone from that property, there is a ton of sunlight now - the front of the home faces due east, I almost feel like solar is an option, but I'm not clear on whether any wifi + solar systems do 24/7 recording. I'm really, really not a big fan of "cloud" anything, FWIW, plus the internet there is currently cable, so not a ton of upload available (on Spectrum's cheapest plan).

As for visits, I'll be lucky to get down there once/month... I'm about 1,500 miles away.
by the time you research and install someone is going to walk away with your copper pipe.
you dont need outdoor cams...simple install the alarm and two or 3 indoor wifi cameras and done.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would almost just be worried about people when they get inside. Use the alarm as the first line of defense and the cameras if the alarm is triggered. (placing the cameras inside the home)

I use Ring alarm and I think the only options are self-monitored and them-monitored. So, if you subscribe, then you are monitored. The yearly fee also includes any other products, so the cost for your cameras to be recorded to the cloud is included with the alarm.
They now require a sub 3.99 a month even for self monitoring IF you want to arm and disarm remotely and get notifications via the app. For this application he should be paying for full monitoring.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Also I would recommend throwing a handful of smart switches/plugs in there and put some lamps on random/night time timers

That's exactly what I would do and set the timer to oadd / even days + Sunday. That means you can set slightly different times for each giving you 3 patterns a week and no two consecutive days are the same. That helps stop watchers and is simple to do on all but the most basic of timers. You can keep leccy bills low by using led bulbs. A simple lamp with a 5w led is all thats required. One in the lounge, one in the bedroom, that comes on a couple of times during the evening then for an hour at bedtime (again on the same 3 pattern cycle).

sporkman

n3wb
Reaction score
Also I would recommend throwing a handful of smart switches/plugs in there and put some lamps on random/night time timers
I still use the old mechanical timers, but at this place it's kind of a moot point. Hurricane season has started and the next time I'm down there I'm going to have to close all the shutters. On the upside, adds some security to the big sliding glass doors, but it's also kind of hard to convince anyone there's someone home with all the shutters down. :(

sporkman

n3wb
Reaction score
by the time you research and install someone is going to walk away with your copper pipe.
you dont need outdoor cams...simple install the alarm and two or 3 indoor wifi cameras and done.
I know I'm veering outside the realm of cameras here, but any recs on window/door switches vs. motion sensors? Motion sensors are about $30/ea and the switches are about $20/ea. I'm thinking only put switches on "real" doors (normal door in garage, front door) and then I think I could get away with 1 motion sensor in the hall that leads to 3 bedrooms, one in the family room (would cover kitchen, the garage entrance, and one sliding glass door as well), one in the living room (would catch a second sliding door), and one in the main bedroom (mainly because that's going to be where my "keep" pile is, but also covers the last sliding door). I'd probably do two outdoor cams in the front - one covering the driveway, one covering the small patio and the yard, and then one indoor cam out on the back porch just to have eyes on the pool. Indoors, maybe 3 will do? Still thinking - the goal here is if someone is in and out before a police response I'd want a pic of the intruder. I guess indoor is probably most important there...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I know I'm veering outside the realm of cameras here, but any recs on window/door switches vs. motion sensors? Motion sensors are about $30/ea and the switches are about $20/ea. I'm thinking only put switches on "real" doors (normal door in garage, front door) and then I think I could get away with 1 motion sensor in the hall that leads to 3 bedrooms, one in the family room (would cover kitchen, the garage entrance, and one sliding glass door as well), one in the living room (would catch a second sliding door), and one in the main bedroom (mainly because that's going to be where my "keep" pile is, but also covers the last sliding door). I'd probably do two outdoor cams in the front - one covering the driveway, one covering the small patio and the yard, and then one indoor cam out on the back porch just to have eyes on the pool. Indoors, maybe 3 will do? Still thinking - the goal here is if someone is in and out before a police response I'd want a pic of the intruder. I guess indoor is probably most important there...
Your plan for the alarm sounds good. If you want to get fancy add a glass break sensor. Don't overdo the cameras, 2-3 indoor units to confirm an alarm is sufficient.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Are house-sitters an option? It's a bit out of left field but having someone living in the property would help deter theft.

sporkman

n3wb
Reaction score
I just happened to flip over to Amazon's site when putting together an order - I was reading a review and the two embedded price widgets showed the base outdoor cam at $99 (ring store) and $59 (amazon) - and it looks like there's some early prime day specials, so this bundle just got more affordable.

As to housesitting, hell, I'd go down there for a few months if my wife and I didn't have so many medical things going on right now, but yeah, there's not really anyone I'd fully trust that's already down there, and we had an offer to housesit or rent at below market and I'd jump at that if it was someone I personally knew, but this person was extremely shady about it, so...