Version 4.5.8.5

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just curious.. For those of you having trouble with this feature, why not set up SMS alerts instead? Almost identical functionality other than it not being a link to the live camera.
From my experience, SMS alerts are delayed by 30s - 1 minute with my setup. (Gmail SMTP -> T-Mobile for the SMS).

I enjoy the instantaneous nature of the push notifications. Really, it's just about fixing a problem that has an esoteric solution.

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Weird. SMS alerts are instantaneous with my setup. They literally come the same time as notifications do if not slightly sooner.

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Alright folks, I think I've found a possible solution to this problem.

On my particular setup, I had everything configured correctly according to Ken:

1. Blue Iris General Web options were correct, showed my correct WAN IP, and the port Blue Iris was using was opened via my firewall
2. Blue Iris iOS app was configured with my correct WAN IP and port

But pictures for push notifications still were not coming through, in spite of Blue Iris being updated on the computer and iOS devices.

However, earlier this week I updated my iPad from iOS 10.2 to iOS 11.0.2. I had stayed on iOS 10.2 on both my iPad and iPhone to stay jailbroken on those devices. I uninstalled and reinstalled Blue Iris on both iOS, then I added both devices to receive push notifications in Blue Iris General settings. Then I hit test.

Presto -> the iPhone still on iOS 10.2 did not receive a picture with the push notification. The iPad on iOS 11.0.2 did receive the picture.

I see when Blue Iris 4.5.8.5 was released iOS 10.3.2 was the most current version. I think it's entirely possible that Ken may have used software calls that only work in iOS 10.3.2+, and those calls don't work or don't exist in < iOS 10.3.2.

So here's a question to anyone that doesn't have pictures for push notifications working: What version of iOS are you running on your device?

morrisky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Alright folks, I think I've found a possible solution to this problem.

On my particular setup, I had everything configured correctly according to Ken:

1. Blue Iris General Web options were correct, showed my correct WAN IP, and the port Blue Iris was using was opened via my firewall
2. Blue Iris iOS app was configured with my correct WAN IP and port

But pictures for push notifications still were not coming through, in spite of Blue Iris being updated on the computer and iOS devices.

However, earlier this week I updated my iPad from iOS 10.2 to iOS 11.0.2. I had stayed on iOS 10.2 on both my iPad and iPhone to stay jailbroken on those devices. I uninstalled and reinstalled Blue Iris on both iOS, then I added both devices to receive push notifications in Blue Iris General settings. Then I hit test.

Presto -> the iPhone still on iOS 10.2 did not receive a picture with the push notification. The iPad on iOS 11.0.2 did receive the picture.

I see when Blue Iris 4.5.8.5 was released iOS 10.3.2 was the most current version. I think it's entirely possible that Ken may have used software calls that only work in iOS 10.3.2+, and those calls don't work or don't exist in < iOS 10.3.2.

So here's a question to anyone that doesn't have pictures for push notifications working: What version of iOS are you running on your device?
I'm on iOS 10.2 currently ( which does support rich notifications as I get them in other apps ), but I tested awhile back on another device ( that was using a later version of 10.3 but don't remember the exact version ) and it didn't work either. That device was since updated to iOS 11 so I'll retest later today and see if it works on that device now.

morrisky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm on iOS 10.2 currently ( which does support rich notifications as I get them in other apps ), but I tested awhile back on another device ( that was using a later version of 10.3 but don't remember the exact version ) and it didn't work either. That device was since updated to iOS 11 so I'll retest later today and see if it works on that device now.
\

Tried it on a device with iOS 11 and it did indeed work. So it definitely appears that it was coded in a way that doesn't properly support iOS 10.2 . Wonder if Ken is able to make it backwards compatible.

m_listed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have an iPad on iOS 11 and picture notifications still don't work on it.

jhoward56

n3wb
Reaction score
Has anybody had any success? I'm on iOS 11.2.1 - notifications come through but no picture.

jmcam

n3wb
Reaction score
Has anybody had any success? I'm on iOS 11.2.1 - notifications come through but no picture.
Yes, I was able to get rich notifications working 99% with my setup (previously working 0%). My issue was using a DDNS name instead of the actual WAN IP the server was using. Apparently Apple doesn't allow non-HTTPS connections when the device grabs the actual picture from the BI server unless it's calling a straight IP address. Luckily my IP doesn't change very often.