Very small PoE Cam for bird feeder?

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Well, I think I might have to write these off as a loss. Thankfully they were only $8 each! All three pull DHCP addresses and I can ping them but the web interface won't load. I factory reset all of them with no luck (power on - hold down reset for 10 seconds).

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I think I might have to write these off as a loss. Thankfully they were only $8 each! All three pull DHCP addresses and I can ping them but the web interface won't load. I factory reset all of them with no luck (power on - hold down reset for 10 seconds).
Tell you what...I got you into this mudhole, so I''ll pull you out.
Just PM me your shipping address and I'll ship you one at no cost that works great with Blue Iris and VLC, just PayPal me the shipping cost which I'll find out before hand.

Meanwhile, have you contacted the eBay vendor about the issue?

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Port scan found no open ports, although it did help me discover that two of my amcrest cameras are still connected to wifi even though I am running them off of ethernet.

I did message the seller but have not gotten a response yet. I will wait to see what they say.

TonyR I might take you up on that offer if you have plenty of extra to spare!

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Update! I bought one from @TonyR and have the video feed up in BI! Just defaulted it using the reset button and it grabbed a DHCP address. Logged in and changed it to static and adjusted the video settings per his post. Don't forget to enable the Microphone checkbox in the camera GUI :)

EDIT: I notice the one from @TonyR has a SKU and some additional info on the label, but model number and such is otherwise the same. I wonder if there were different hardware revisions, or maybe a knockoff version, that I got from eBay vs his working one.

Last edited:

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Final update on my end. I was able to reach the eBay seller I bought the defective cameras from and after some troubleshooting they issued a full refund and said I can do whatever I want to with the cameras. Too bad they are paperweights!

I did order another from a different seller so hopefully that one works :)

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Wow thanks everyone, I didn't get the notifications for all this

I'll have to order one of those!!!! Whats the current best seller?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@th182 , @IReallyLikePizza2 , @looney2ns ;
Looking forward to the nest building spring of '21, so let's get 'em ready this winter! Of course, birds feed all seasons so we don't have to wait until spring, either.

Since I already have one in a bluebird house I'm thinking about trying one in either a platform bird feeder or putting one in a fake tiny birdhouse and getting it close up to our hummingbird feeder swinging from a shepherd's hook.

Either way I'll put a heatsink on it like I did the first one, which BTW, I'll try my best this holiday to post some pictures and links in case someone likes my makeshift (but adequate) and adjustable mounting bracket and how I mounted the outboard heatsink.

Here's sample, showing the bracket and the heatsink:

sercomm_bracket2_med.jpg

EDIT: more on the heatsink install ==>> HERE

Last edited:

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Looking forward to the nest building spring of '21, so let's get 'em ready this winter! Of course, birds feed all seasons so we don't have to wait until spring, either.

Since I already have one in a bluebird house I'm thinking about trying one in either a platform bird feeder or putting one in a fake tiny birdhouse and getting it close up to our hummingbird feeder swinging from a shepherd's hook.

Either way I'll put a heatsink on it like I did the first one, which BTW, I'll try my best this holiday to post some pictures and links in case someone likes my makeshift (but adequate) and adjustable mounting bracket and how I mounted the outboard heatsink.

View attachment 77657
Oh boy! The pressure is on now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

View attachment 77657
Did you use the heatsink because of prior experience with this cam, or simply as a precaution?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you use the heatsink because of prior experience with this cam, or simply as a precaution?
Just a precaution. Since it is supposed to be an indoor cam and I was going to put it outdoors inside of a birdhouse in the middle of a field in an Alabama spring thru summer, I figured a heatsink wouldn't do any harm. :cool:

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just configured a second one of these! Decided first is going in the doghouse, second may get birdhouse duty as originally planned!