Video not working with recent V5 updates for a Dahua PTZ

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Maybe something over one week ago I updated to V5. All was well. A few days ago I updated BI and noticed that my Dahua SD22204T-GN close to where I had just been pruning roses had stopped showing video. I assumed I'd accidentally snipped the cable.

I have now discovered that this camera was still working fine (can login with Pale Moon) but no longer works in BI with 'Generic/ONVIF RTSP H264...' etc (RTSP: 404 Not Found). It reports 'Bad response' to 'Requesting device information' with 'search/inspect'. ONVIF in the camera is enabled, rebooting no change.

The only camera/model it works with in BI including its PTZ is 'DAHUA/IPC-HFW2300R'. My other 8 Dahua cameras at home continue to work with Generic/ONVIF etc

Anybody else had the same problem or could offer an explanation please?

I don't want to muddy the water but something else I also finally got round to doing in the last few days was to change the password in two or three cameras that still used 'admin'. I forgot to also change them in BI but they still worked in BI. However, the strange thing is that, having changed the password in, for example, my SD29204T-GN, it only works in BI with Generic/ONVIF etc when I continue to use the password 'admin' and doesn't work with the correct password. Conversely, I can only login to the camera with Pale Moon when using the new password and not 'with admin'.

Is this a BI5 thing or a Dahua thing?
Are both problems linked?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe something over one week ago I updated to V5. All was well. A few days ago I updated BI and noticed that my Dahua SD22204T-GN close to where I had just been pruning roses had stopped showing video. I assumed I'd accidentally snipped the cable.

I have now discovered that this camera was still working fine (can login with Pale Moon) but no longer works in BI with 'Generic/ONVIF RTSP H264...' etc (RTSP: 404 Not Found). It reports 'Bad response' to 'Requesting device information' with 'search/inspect'. ONVIF in the camera is enabled, rebooting no change.

The only camera/model it works with in BI including its PTZ is 'DAHUA/IPC-HFW2300R'. My other 8 Dahua cameras at home continue to work with Generic/ONVIF etc

Anybody else had the same problem or could offer an explanation please?

I don't want to muddy the water but something else I also finally got round to doing in the last few days was to change the password in two or three cameras that still used 'admin'. I forgot to also change them in BI but they still worked in BI. However, the strange thing is that, having changed the password in, for example, my SD29204T-GN, it only works in BI with Generic/ONVIF etc when I continue to use the password 'admin' and doesn't work with the correct password. Conversely, I can only login to the camera with Pale Moon when using the new password and not 'with admin'.

Is this a BI5 thing or a Dahua thing?
Are both problems linked?
There is a distinct onvif password that can be different than your camera password.

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Mmm interesting! Thanks for that fenderman. Does that mean a skilful hacker/robber can still use the ‘admin’ password to, for example, find out if I’m away on holiday - I forward ports. If so I guess I should find out how to try out VPN instead - not done up until now because my broadband is rubbish.

So, maybe the RTSP problem with, for example, my SD22204T-GN actually coincided with changing the password and not updating BI although that camera still doesn’t work when it’s password is changed back to admin and using find/inspect etc.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mmm interesting! Thanks for that fenderman. Does that mean a skilful hacker/robber can still use the ‘admin’ password to, for example, find out if I’m away on holiday - I forward ports. If so I guess I should find out how to try out VPN instead - not done up until now because my broadband is rubbish.

So, maybe the RTSP problem with, for example, my SD22204T-GN actually coincided with changing the password and not updating BI although that camera still doesn’t work when it’s password is changed back to admin and using find/inspect etc.
How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

No skillful hacker cares if you are away. You are not a bank. The issue is that when the camera is compromised everything on your network is as well.

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Try PTZ profile "Dahua new V4"

Will get back later, to add my settings for this cam.

EDIT: Video settings for the SD22204T-GN. Don't change your Discovery/ONVIF port to the one in my settings. And do a Find/inspect, to see if that does anything.

Video - Path: /cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif

PTZ Profile is set to Dahua New V4

SD22204T-GN_Video_Settings.PNG

Last edited:

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello SkyLake. I’ve tried many combinations but for me no joy with ‘Dahua V4’ with any camera make/model. (I think you’re referring to my SD22204T-GN). But - and I have no idea why - going back to yesterday’s selection is not repeatable today and now doesn’t give video. But I didn’t check the PTZ selection yesterday. The only combination that I have found to work today is ‘IPC-A35RTSP’ with PTZ ‘Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z’.

Thanks also for your replies fenderman and looney2ns. I take on board your words and am becoming more anxious about my port forwarding. I am switching to a new broadband provider (& router) on 15th August and will then try (with my very limited IT skills) to figure out VPN. My comment about a hacker/robber by the way was meant to refer to breaking into my house rather than my network when they can see that I’m not there.

Path/params are blank with GENERIC/ONVIF and get Bad response to Requesting device information.

Last edited:

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I have that exact cam and here are my settings for BI5....everything works fine
Annotation 2019-08-06 185913.jpg

Annotation 2019-08-06 185253.jpg

Annotation 2019-08-06 185326.jpg

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello guys
I decided to put the camera back to default. I did this using system/default in the setup menu but as regards network parameters, this method only changes the RTSP back from 1029 to 554, leaving TCP, UDP, HTTP and password unchanged. For good measure I reformatted the 128MB SD card fitted. The camera still didn't work in BI so I opened the camera and used its factory reset button. This time, the camera then worked fine in BI, the find/inspect giving the same result as for Tinman.

However, in reality the fault is still there. When I change the password to anything other than 'admin', the same problem returns and only works correctly when logging in with, for example, Pale Moon. My camera firmware is older than Tinman's but unfortunately the update fails. The good inspecting result below is when I use 'admin' in BI's 'Find/inspect' field even though the camera's password is different. No video with either the correct or admin password. Details follow below:-
'
Is there any hope other than bodging it with the wrong camera model as in the post above?

Screenshot 2019-08-07 10.58.18.png Screenshot 2019-08-07 11.05.57.png Screenshot 2019-08-07 11.25.43.png Screenshot 2019-08-07 11.26.56.png Screenshot 2019-08-07 11.30.53.png Screenshot 2019-08-07 11.31.14.png Screenshot 2019-08-07 11.31.57.png Screenshot 2019-08-07 11.34.40.png Screenshot 2019-08-07 11.36.15.png

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Which firmware version are you trying to upgrade to?

Try this one, as this is the latest official firmware version for the SD22204T-GN.

I attached both the NTSC and PAL version of the firmware.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm thinking your problem is in your password you are using, are you sure you have it set right in the camera's GUI correctly. If you added a user make sure it has viewing rights, also check and see if your Onvif credentials are correct as well in GUI.

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for sending the files SkyLake. Unfortunately, they're the same as I downloaded from dahuasecurity.com - I tried both out but neither work. Perhaps there was a hardware change in the camera after I bought mine. I would be pleased to try out alternative firmware for this camera that's earlier than 2018-9-28 but later than 2016-5-17 if anyone stored the bin file.

Thanks also for your post looney2ns. Having configured many Dahua I am fully aware of the camera defaults. However, I don't understand 'Remove the port from the URL'. If you meant change them to something else, I had been using 1029 and 8084 for this camera. If not, would you please explain in more detail.

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In response to your message above Tinman. I have tried several passwords, all permitted. For example, if I change only one password character, eg 'bdmin' instead of 'admin' then I get the same bad inspecting response as above. I don't do it by adding a user - there is only one user, - admin's account. But remember when it's 'bdmin' in the camera, I still get a good inspecting result using 'admin' in BI but then the 'no signal' screen at the end. I think this is maybe what fenderman was eluding to but I'm afraid it's beyond my comprehension.

ONVIF is enabled in the camera. I am not aware of any other ONVIF setting in the camera.

Nevertheless, thanks for the suggestions.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try this:
Delete the camera from BI.
Open the camera and use the factory default button that's inside. Hold for at least 15 seconds.
It can take the camera 1-3 minutes to reboot.
The IP address will revert to 192.168.1.108, you will need to set the camera back up from scratch.
Be sure to setup an available IP address in the cam.
After you have confirmed in a browser that it indeed works, then add it back to Blue Iris, use find/inspect.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
In response to your message above Tinman. I have tried several passwords, all permitted. For example, if I change only one password character, eg 'bdmin' instead of 'admin' then I get the same bad inspecting response as above. I don't do it by adding a user - there is only one user, - admin's account. But remember when it's 'bdmin' in the camera, I still get a good inspecting result using 'admin' in BI but then the 'no signal' screen at the end. I think this is maybe what fenderman was eluding to but I'm afraid it's beyond my comprehension.

ONVIF is enabled in the camera. I am not aware of any other ONVIF setting in the camera.

Nevertheless, thanks for the suggestions.
In my firmware there is a Onvif account as well....it also states you MUST use at least 8 characters in your password.

Annotation 2019-08-08 212032.jpg

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi Tinman - my firmware is different. I tried to delete the 'Group' account entries but it's not allowed. For completeness I also tried a simple 8+ character password 'adminadmin' but still gives a bad result. So unless anyone has a FW update that would work in my 22204 I guess it's time to give up. Other cameras are happy with unique passwords but when checking the accounts, only my SD59225U-HNI and SD29204T-GN have an ONVIF account.

Screenshot 2019-08-09 10.17.03.png Screenshot 2019-08-09 10.17.39.png Screenshot 2019-08-09 10.18.19.png Screenshot 2019-08-09 10.19.29.png

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Just curious, but did you buy this camera from Andy ? Sounds like a clone when you can't update firmware. Just grasping for ideas now :)

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just curious, but did you buy this camera from Andy ? Sounds like a clone when you can't update firmware. Just grasping for ideas now :)
The "File unmatch, Upgrade failed!" error message, made me think the same. As Dahua signs their firmware nowadays.