Video Tearing in Recorded Files in BI5 and Push to Talk Issues with Blue Iris App (Android)

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try it again, but note, you must watch new video that is recorded while the monitor is powered on. If the video is recorded without the monitor it will always show the tearing regardless. If a monitor resolves the problem and you want to continue running headless, look into something like this, however I have not tested them myself. Robot Check
I’ve tested for about a 24 hours now. At first there was no tearing but the bulk of the videos still have it. Would it matter if the monitor is on but screen is blank (power saver mode)? I plan on testing that too. Wife is loving my office monitor on the kitchen table with 12’ hdmi cord to the BI machine in the laundry room - aka my server room.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mikk36

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If it's just the two cameras with the i5-6500, why bother with the hardware acceleration at all, if it's only causing issues?
Yes, you get nicer and faster fast forwarding with playback, but that's just about it.
I'd drop h/a or go for more power with an Nvidia card if you want less issues.

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If it's just the two cameras with the i5-6500, why bother with the hardware acceleration at all, if it's only causing issues?
Yes, you get nicer and faster fast forwarding with playback, but that's just about it.
Well, i plan on having more cameras for one. For another, i don’t like not being able to use the benefits of the system i paid for. And lastly, figuring it out is part of the adventure, right

thewolf56

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was getting tearing as well with the direct monitor hookup, but power saver mode was still enabled on the display. I changed the settings for turn off display to never, and in advanced power settings, I changed Intel(R) Graphics Settings / Intel(R) Graphics Power Plan from "balanced" to "Maximum Performance".

Hopefully those changes will stop the tearing.

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was getting tearing as well with the direct monitor hookup, but power saver mode was still enabled on the display. I changed the settings for turn off display to never, and in advanced power settings, I changed Intel(R) Graphics Settings / Intel(R) Graphics Power Plan from "balanced" to "Maximum Performance".

Hopefully those changes will stop the tearing.
I actually made the exact same changes tonight. We’ll see.

thewolf56

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

An Nvidia card is highly inefficient for the majority of systems. QS should work, whether it is 2 cameras or 22 cameras. Obviously much more necessary for 22 cameras, but a good processor plus QS can be an efficient, but powerful server.

Mikk36

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Except if you want H.265 for the space savings.
Power usage isn't a big deal for me, since the rooms are heated anyway. Yes, it's not as efficient on heating, but it isn't all going to waste either.

thewolf56

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, some good news this morning. The 4 clips that have recorded since I made these last changes have resulted in clips that have not torn on playback. I will continue to monitor and test, but I am hoping that this will be enough to fix the issue so I can just buy one of those dummy adapters to use QS.

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@thewolf56 - I went through several clips from the last 18 hours and as long as my monitor is actually on and not turned off by some power mgmt. feature then ALL of my clips have no issues on replay. It is a Christmas miracle!

@fenderman - looks like your suggestion is paying off. I am going to purchase a device you suggested (I'll do this one) and hopefully that will solve the issue once and for all, while allowing me to use the most recent drivers. I hope this works as I don't want to leave a monitor on all the time (cost, aesthetics, etc) and I don' t want to use an old driver (many updates include security updates).

If this works, hopefully we can add to the wiki for others. Or should we create a new thread to make the resolution easier to find.

BTW - for Intel Graphics 630 I'm running driver 26.20.100.7323, w/ i5-8500 processor, on HP elitedesk 800 G4 SFF.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@thewolf56 I don' t want to use an old driver (many updates include security updates).
There is ZERO security risk of using an old driver if you dont port forward and use a vpn. If you do, the driver is the least of your worries.

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is ZERO security risk of using an old driver if you dont port forward and use a vpn. If you do, the driver is the least of your worries.
I do run a vpn server at home to connect to my lan when out of my house.

The emulator plug I got seems to be working. I used this one. I haven't seen any tearing in over 24 hours of use and 20 or so clips. This is really good news. I just plugged it in to my Display Port.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
An inbound VPN and an outbound VPN are two completely different things. An outbound VPN does not provided any security for remotely viewing your cameras,VMS or NVR.
Outbound traffic originates from the local lan to the internet, going to the bank, doing a google search...
Inbound, traffic originates for the internet to the local lan, looking at your home security cameras from work or the coffee shop, picking up the work document from your home computer.....

Mikk36

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
An inbound VPN and an outbound VPN are two completely different things. An outbound VPN does not provided any security for remotely viewing your cameras,VMS or NVR.
Outbound traffic originates from the local lan to the internet, going to the bank, doing a google search...
Inbound, traffic originates for the internet to the local lan, looking at your home security cameras from work or the coffee shop, picking up the work document from your home computer.....
Outbound VPN can provide security, if you can also connect to that remote VPN site from the viewer (or are at that site) and viewer can connect to BI server from there.
One use-case for that would be a remote site BI installation.

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, some good news this morning. The 4 clips that have recorded since I made these last changes have resulted in clips that have not torn on playback. I will continue to monitor and test, but I am hoping that this will be enough to fix the issue so I can just buy one of those dummy adapters to use QS.
Did the emulator work for you?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mikk36

Please educate us provide a detailed working example with product names, service names and total configurations. Have it working on a cell phone.

thewolf56

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did the emulator work for you?

I have not tried the emulator, yet, but the one you added is on my list.

I have had dozens of clips recorded in the past week since I have made the changes to the display power settings and have not had a single tear, so it would not surprise me if the emulator worked for me at this point.

I still get some ghosting on the night images, but that is something that needs to be fixed through camera settings. Anyone know of some good threads for tips on adjusting night settings?

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We
I have not tried the emulator, yet, but the one you added is on my list.

I have had dozens of clips recorded in the past week since I have made the changes to the display power settings and have not had a single tear, so it would not surprise me if the emulator worked for me at this point.

I still get some ghosting on the night images, but that is something that needs to be fixed through camera settings. Anyone know of some good threads for tips on adjusting night settings?
No tears: you still have a monitor attached or getting that just with the power adjustments.

Mikk36

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mikk36

Please educate us provide a detailed working example with product names, service names and total configurations. Have it working on a cell phone.
Either typical site-to-site VPN or a direct BI server to the main site VPN connection.
Neither of these expose anything to the internet.
If you then need to view the camera streams (UI3?) on your cell phone while on mobile connection, yes, you would then also need a VPN connection to the main site, but this is outside of the scope of "An outbound VPN does not provided any security". An outbound VPN does not have to be into a public VPN provider, but instead to a site you control or trust (business/corporate/home network, for example).
We've seen plenty of examples here for remote site BI installations, where this would be one option for setting connections up.

thewolf56

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No tears: you still have a monitor attached or getting that just with the power adjustments.

Still have the monitor hooked up directly (skipping the KVM). I figured I would give it some time with testing these settings before buying a new piece to add to the puzzle. It is definitely promising.

If this solves the issue (power settings for display and Intel UHD in Win 10, plus direct connection to monitor or emulator), that info should probably be put somewhere in the Wiki or another sticky so others can find it.

thewolf56

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@iseeker Is your system still running good with the emulator? Mine hasn't had any tears since I hooked up the monitor AND turned off the power-saving portions of the GPU in windows settings.