Viewing on a smart tv

Reaction score
I've used screen mirroring from my laptop to my Samsung smart tv and it worked well. Main disadvantages were that you can't flick between mirrored and normal tv like you can with HDMI inputs and it has to be instigated from the PC/laptop.

Reaction score
I've used screen mirroring from my laptop to my Samsung smart tv and it worked well. Main disadvantages were that you can't flick between mirrored and normal tv like you can with HDMI inputs and it has to be instigated from the PC/laptop.
I do the same from a Samsung S5 phone, using gDMSS. Nice to see a large image on Samsung Smart TV.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What HDMI over Ethernet solutions will work through a switched network? Everything I've seen seems to point to a point-to-point connection.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
that would be HDMI over IP, and HDMI has much more bandwidth than your IP Network is capable of.. so it would have to be compressed and then streamed and tha'd just add latency and suck more.

If you want IP you already have IP cameras; just pull the video over IP

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The one I posted earlier has one output feeding 2 tv's through 3 switches.... what more do u want?
Sorry I missed the link in your post, I'll take a look at it. From my cursory examination of these products on Amazon it seemed the lower-end products were point-to-point and only when you got in to the multi-hundred-$$$ range did networkable gear come into play... and even then, the descriptions said unmanaged networks, and all my home switches are managed switches. Wiring a dedicated HDMI cable is not an option, although I could pull another dedicated cat-6 cable for a point-to-point configuration from my server to my TV, if I was really, really forced to.

that would be HDMI over IP, and HDMI has much more bandwidth than your IP Network is capable of.. so it would have to be compressed and then streamed and tha'd just add latency and suck more.
If you want IP you already have IP cameras; just pull the video over IP
yeah, 6gb or so from what I recall. I've been toying with the idea of buying a Pi and tinkering with RasPipc... I thought it may be easier to simply project the 1920x1080 output from my BI video console to a remote TV over my existing cat-6 cabling.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
So if I don't have HDMI coming out of my BI machine, can I convert VGA out to HDMI and use this? I bought some VGA over ethernet cable extenders and a VGA-HDMI converter but the video keeps dropping in and out.

Product Details for PID 14158

I got these along with an additional adapter for my 2nd tv... Had returned 2 other brands before finding these that work. 150+ft run with cat5e.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So if I don't have HDMI coming out of my BI machine, can I convert VGA out to HDMI and use this? I bought some VGA over ethernet cable extenders and a VGA-HDMI converter but the video keeps dropping in and out.
I don't see why not.... I have a display port to hdmi adapter feeding this hdmi to ethernet adapter... The good thing about monoprice is.. if it doesn't work out for you, just return it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Dont convert vga..you pc likely has a digital output like display port or DVI

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I need to run about 80-85 feet to my monitor. Should a 100' hdmi cable be fine or is enet to hdmi superior?
If you don't have to drill big holes for the hdmi end, i would buy a long hdmi cable.... if you have to run the cable through a bunch of walls and stuff, I would get an adapter.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's a personal preference. If you don't mind drill a big enough hole for the end to fit through your whole run, do the hdmi route, less things to go wrong.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I need to run about 80-85 feet to my monitor. Should a 100' hdmi cable be fine or is enet to hdmi superior?
You will very likely have issues with a run that long...just because they sell it in that length doesnt mean it will work... it will vary by source, youll likely have to resort to a powered booster of some sort...not a good idea..
at the very least test for a few days before running the cable trough the wall.
The pricing for 100f hdmi is absurd..

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The one I posted earlier has one output feeding 2 tv's through 3 switches.... what more do u want?
I looked at the product page you listed, and it looks very similar to two similar units I tried on eBay (and both failed, because they appear to simply be "rebadged" versions of the same piece of hardware)

Amazon.com: Mirabox HDMI Extender Over IP/TCP Cat5/5e/6/6e Rj45 UTP/STP Ethernet Lan Switch Network Support 400ft(120m) 1080P Full HD Extension, Black (HSV373 A Pair): Electronics
Amazon.com: AGPtek LKV373 100M HDMI Extender over LAN Routers/Switchers Ethernet Network RJ45 CAT5 CAT6-Single Source from 1080P Full HD STB,DVD,PS3 - w/DLP,LCD,LED ,Supports TCP/IP by Ethernet, DC 5V/1A: Home Audio & Theater

Neither unit worked in my environment, both receivers said the same thing (check source signal).

I do believe the problem is with my video hardware, though. My machine has a Nvidia GEFORCE video card with 3 ports - DVI, HDMI, VGA. The card will support 2 monitors, so I could have a VGA and HDMI, VGA and DVI, etc. My regular monitor is connected to the VGA port, and I tried connecting each of the units to the HDMI port. Even with these two units connected to the HDMI port and "on", the video card only detects a single monitor turned on.

So, I believe, its not sending a video signal out over the HDMI port, since it does not 'detect' a 'monitor' there.

After looking at your product page, I suspect the same thing will happen if I buy it.

I'm of the thought that, if this is to work with the video card I have, I would have to get some type of HDMI "splitter" to send the input signal to two output sources, while allowing for bi-directional communication from the HDMI monitor so the video card realizes there is something connected to the HDMI port, and activates the video on it.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I looked at the product page you listed, and it looks very similar to two similar units I tried on eBay (and both failed, because they appear to simply be "rebadged" versions of the same piece of hardware)

Amazon.com: Mirabox HDMI Extender Over IP/TCP Cat5/5e/6/6e Rj45 UTP/STP Ethernet Lan Switch Network Support 400ft(120m) 1080P Full HD Extension, Black (HSV373 A Pair): Electronics
Amazon.com: AGPtek LKV373 100M HDMI Extender over LAN Routers/Switchers Ethernet Network RJ45 CAT5 CAT6-Single Source from 1080P Full HD STB,DVD,PS3 - w/DLP,LCD,LED ,Supports TCP/IP by Ethernet, DC 5V/1A: Home Audio & Theater

Neither unit worked in my environment, both receivers said the same thing (check source signal).

I do believe the problem is with my video hardware, though. My machine has a Nvidia GEFORCE video card with 3 ports - DVI, HDMI, VGA. The card will support 2 monitors, so I could have a VGA and HDMI, VGA and DVI, etc. My regular monitor is connected to the VGA port, and I tried connecting each of the units to the HDMI port. Even with these two units connected to the HDMI port and "on", the video card only detects a single monitor turned on.

So, I believe, its not sending a video signal out over the HDMI port, since it does not 'detect' a 'monitor' there.

After looking at your product page, I suspect the same thing will happen if I buy it.

I'm of the thought that, if this is to work with the video card I have, I would have to get some type of HDMI "splitter" to send the input signal to two output sources, while allowing for bi-directional communication from the HDMI monitor so the video card realizes there is something connected to the HDMI port, and activates the video on it.
Do you mean, 1 output going to 2 receiving devices(if that is the case you need to buy another receiving device)? I'm not sure if this is for your house or not, but if you are trying to troubleshoot your video card at home/hdmi adapters, why don't you just use the adapters between your tv and a dvd player or something not related to your computer? I also had 2 other products that failed on me before purchasing this. First one, the power supply died after 10 minutes, the other one I bought never worked(could of been because I used cat5e instead of cat6). I also had a bad hdmi cable I was working with that i found out later. All of this is basic trouble shooting. If my display port to hdmi adapter was in question, I would of just tested with a dvd player or anything with a hdmi out that I know is working, and go from there.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do you mean, 1 output going to 2 receiving devices(if that is the case you need to buy another receiving device)? I'm not sure if this is for your house or not, but if you are trying to troubleshoot your video card at home/hdmi adapters, why don't you just use the adapters between your tv and a dvd player or something not related to your computer? I also had 2 other products that failed on me before purchasing this. First one, the power supply died after 10 minutes, the other one I bought never worked(could of been because I used cat5e instead of cat6). I also had a bad hdmi cable I was working with that i found out later. All of this is basic trouble shooting. If my display port to hdmi adapter was in question, I would of just tested with a dvd player or anything with a hdmi out that I know is working, and go from there.
My prior post was probably not very clear... Sleep deprivation.

My Nvidia video card has 3 ports (HDMI/DVI/VGA). I can have two monitors connected simultaneously, and the NVIDIA card can "mirror" (duplicate), or "extend" (separate output) the displays. I have it set up currently to extend the displays, and connecting two monitors, one to the VGA and the other to the HDMI port, this works fine. I leave BI running on the HDMI monitor.

When I "disconnect" the HDMI monitor to connect the HDMI extender, the NVIDIA card no longer detects a monitor on that port, so it now thinks there is only a single monitor (VGA) connected to the system, and it "shuts off" output to the HDMI port. I have verified this by going into the NVIDIA control panel and it only shows a single, not two, displays connected (as it does if I leave the HDMI monitor plugged in) when I have the HDMI extender plugged in to the HDMI port on the NVIDIA card.

I believe the only way I can get to this to work is to buy some type of bidirectional-communication device which would "split" the HDMI signal between the HDMI monitor and the HDMI extender, such that the NVIDIA card still recognizes the fact there is an HDMI monitor connected to that port, so it won't shut the HDMI port down.

I suspect, from looking at the product you posted, I would encounter the same problem I've had with the two units I tested thus far (which, in all honestly, simply appear to have been re-badged versions of the same item.)

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Gotcha, well I hope you figure it out. Definitely an annoying problem.

Last edited: