Viewing Remotely from LAN not working, but is via WAN

37tr3n5k

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have had BI for over a year without any problems. I recently noticed i am unable to view via my phone when I am home connected to my wifi and on the same network as the BI server computer. However, when I disconnect from my Wifi and use the cellular service, I am able to connect. This seems like a more common problem would be the opposite.

I have checked the IP addresses and ports. Since I am able to view from the WAN, my router and firewall would be configured correctly, I assume. I am just stuck on the LAN side. Any ideas?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have had BI for over a year without any problems. I recently noticed i am unable to view via my phone when I am home connected to my wifi and on the same network as the BI server computer. However, when I disconnect from my Wifi and use the cellular service, I am able to connect. This seems like a more common problem would be the opposite.

I have checked the IP addresses and ports. Since I am able to view from the WAN, my router and firewall would be configured correctly, I assume. I am just stuck on the LAN side. Any ideas?
did you get a new router/modem? are you using a modem router combo unit?

37tr3n5k

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I did get a new router. I was able to configure it correctly and forward the port. It was working unitl a few days ago. I have had the router for about a month. . Where do you suggest I begin looking? Stupid question here... How would it work from the WAN and not the LAN? I am able to login via a web browser on a different computer but on the same home network by inputting the local IP address and Password. The LAN IP address in the mobile app match what I am inputting into the address bar of the web browser.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I did get a new router. I was able to configure it correctly and forward the port. It was working. Where do you suggest I begin looking? Stupid question here... How would it work from the WAN and not the LAN? I am able to login via a web browser by inputting the local IP address and Password. The LAN IP address in the mobile app match what I am inputting into the address bar of the web browser.
its is a combo unit? or do you have a separate router/modem?

37tr3n5k

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry for not answering your question previously. It is a combo unit from At&t for the fiber service.

I was told I need their modem. It is a package unit.

Edit.. Plot twist- My wife's phone is configured exactly the same as mine. Via her phone, she can view both via WAN and LAN... I have updated all apps and software. Restarted both phones and computer.

Last edited:

37tr3n5k

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, I restarted to router and disconnected a wireless bridge and it is now working.. Perhaps an IP address conflict?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok... now the LAN stopped working again.. Any helpful advice is much appreciated.
if its intermittent it would point to a router issue..is the other phone still working ok?

37tr3n5k

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
if its intermittent it would point to a router issue..is the other phone still working ok?
So, a little update: The other phone stops working after a while. I tried switching the SSID on my connection from the 2.4 to the 5.0 ghz (dual band) and I was able to log in via LAN. Same with my wife. However, it stops working. I have a second routher I use in my guest house. It is used as a bridge (cat 5 coming from host router, plugging into guest house router.. Same netowrk, but different SSID.. When I am connected to that, everything works. From what it appears is when connected to either 5.0 or 2.4 band, it begins to not work. Something inside the router is changing. I am able to ping the router from both LAN and WAN IP addresses.

This is very weird.

jrhoops

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
one or both of the wifi networks on your main router is configured as a guest network and is probably in its own vlan/bridge group. Build straight wifi networks not guest networks or turn off guest network isoltation

37tr3n5k

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
one or both of the wifi networks on your main router is configured as a guest network and is probably in its own vlan/bridge group. Build straight wifi networks not guest networks or turn off guest network isoltation
Thanks for the reply, however I am afraid this isnt the case. I have both bands' guest networks disabled.

jrhoops

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
but is wifi isolation turned off? Do you have any other devices on the subnet you can test connectivity with such as a printer?

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
On an ASUS router there is a setting to restrict access to 'INTRANET' Could your router possibly have a similar setting?

I found this out when the EXACT same symptoms occurred, WAN access fine, local nope, think this one was under wifi settings

jrhoops

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
On an ASUS router there is a setting to restrict access to 'INTRANET' Could your router possibly have a similar setting?

I found this out when the EXACT same symptoms occurred, WAN access fine, local nope, think this one was under wifi settings
Yes this is what I am referring to

Zanthexter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You don't HAVE to use the AT&T router. You can disable it's WiFi, add your own router, and either set your router as the "DMZ", forward specific ports to your router, or maybe ask AT&T if their router/modem combo can be set to "bridge mode".

I personally would do that anyway. Having your own router gives you more control. Saves you having to redo your router settings if for some reason the AT&T box needs replacing or gets factory reset to troubleshoot a connectivity problem. With a larger home you may even want to consider one of the new "Mesh" router setups which (mostly) won't directly work with the AT&T WiFi.

You may also have more privacy from AT&T with your own router. Use your own with DNS set to a company you can trust (more) than AT&T. Google, OpenDNS, Level3, etc. Not saying any of them are angels, but AT&T definitely isn't.

You may need to use a mix of the AT&T and your WiFi if your AT&T TV boxes need the AT&T WiFi to connect to. Not a big problem, just set your WiFi to use different channels.