Vivint system w/ conventional IP Cameras and Blue Iris

Reaction score
I have several hikvision IP cameras and Blue Iris running the show. I also have a new Vivint alarm system. It has the doorbell with a camera. I understand this thing is z-wave. Anyway, is there any way I can make the these things interact? Can the Vivint z-wave doorbell come up Blue Iris? Can my IP cameras come up on the Vivint system? The Vivint system is on it's own wireless router, connected via LAN to my main router.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have several hikvision IP cameras and Blue Iris running the show. I also have a new Vivint alarm system. It has the doorbell with a camera. I understand this thing is z-wave. Anyway, is there any way I can make the these things interact? Can the Vivint z-wave doorbell come up Blue Iris? Can my IP cameras come up on the Vivint system? The Vivint system is on it's own wireless router, connected via LAN to my main router.
Unfortunately you cannot. The vivint system is a closed system. Its is also WAY overpriced and a complete rippoff scam.

Reaction score
Fortunately, I'm aware of how these salesmen work and the marketing tactics. I've priced out doing it myself and using Alarm Relay for monitoring in the past. I could go out and buy $800 to $1000 worth of stuff myself, which is what it really costs, as opposed to their artificially inflated $2,000 list price. Then install it all myself. Then pay for my own cell monitoring. When all is said and done, the math says I might save a few hundred dollars over 4-5 years. That extra $$ is time I didn't need to spend on it, and it's very nice polished web and mobile user interface. That is worth something IMO. Normally I love tinkering and doing this stuff myself. But right now, I don't have the time.

Of course, they only give you three days to cancel. But I told them if you don't want to give me time to research and ask your references, I'm still going to do it. And if I find out everyone hates it and your references bust, you'll be coming back to remove it in two days.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fortunately, I'm aware of how these salesmen work and the marketing tactics. I've priced out doing it myself and using Alarm Relay for monitoring in the past. I could go out and buy $800 to $1000 worth of stuff myself, which is what it really costs, as opposed to their artificially inflated $2,000 list price. Then install it all myself. Then pay for my own cell monitoring. When all is said and done, the math says I might save a few hundred dollars over 4-5 years. That extra $$ is time I didn't need to spend on it, and it's very nice polished web and mobile user interface. That is worth something IMO. Normally I love tinkering and doing this stuff myself. But right now, I don't have the time.

Of course, they only give you three days to cancel. But I told them if you don't want to give me time to research and ask your references, I'm still going to do it. And if I find out everyone hates it and your references bust, you'll be coming back to remove it in two days.
Cell monitoring is 25 dollars a month max with the ability to arm disarm. Vivint likely charges 50+. A basic wireless system from honeywell is 350...add a few more sensors etc you are at 500. Then can by a doorbell cam that works with blue iris for about 200 or so. You also have the flexibility to add sensors yourself or completely change the system if you want something else.

Reaction score
I know how much it costs to DIY. I priced out a comparable DIY package from Honeywell and GE. It's easily $800-$1000. Which does add up since Visint's fake list prices all seem to be roughly double retail. I can buy 2GIG sensors on amazon to add to the system myself. He gave me the the installer code, not that it isn't all over Google. I do know this cost me more over the course of 4 years. But the amount more, I feel I'm getting something for. My time and effort, and the user interface.

Reaction score
Cell monitoring is 25 dollars a month max with the ability to arm disarm. Vivint likely charges 50+. A basic wireless system from honeywell is 350...add a few more sensors etc you are at 500. Then can by a doorbell cam that works with blue iris for about 200 or so. You also have the flexibility to add sensors yourself or completely change the system if you want something else.
What doorbell cam can you get that will work with blue iris?