VPN Primer for Noobs

What VPN Solution are you using?

• Total voters

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yea if Netgear doesnt fix it I may run the OpenVPN on my UnRaid server instead of the router.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yea I may install the OpenVPN server on my UnRaid server if this doesn't get resolved by April.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Revlus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
well holy heck... after lots of learning curve and fiddling around...

My setup:

Comcast Netgear C7800 (doesn't have VPN Server software!)
- Using their free DDNS
- Port forwarding OpenVPN Port I chose to the Win10 BI Server

Win 10 BI Server
- Blue Iris installed here
- Installed OpenVPN Server on this - using TUN because I connect over VPN via IOS and frankly, seems easier to configure than TAP

iPhone
- Installed OpenVPN client (had to put all keys inline with the ovpn file to get this to work right)
- Installed BI Mobile App

And for the love of all that is secure.... it works!!
Thanks to this thread and others on here... I now have a secure VPN I can view my cams with remotely! Thanks!

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Let me preface this with "I'm not a big fan of IOS or Apple, at all".

I installed a VPN on my Asus router, no problem. Installed OpenVPN client on my Samsung S5, no problem. Imported the .opvn file to the Android client, no problem. Can access BI using UI3 with, again, no problem.

Went to set up my wife's Iphone7. Started the install of the OpenVPN client. Got stuck at how in the heck to get the .opvn file to import into the client. It's on the phone, but none of the options for installing the file work, at all. Gave up in disgust, no problem.

Revlus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I put the key files inline with the opvn file to get it to finally install correctly on iOS.

I also copied the file over via iTunes

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
When you say "key files inline" what files and inline with what?

I'm a masochist so I'll have another dig at it tomorrow night. I hate to be beaten by a stupid phone, especially an iPhone.

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Let me preface this with "I'm not a big fan of IOS or Apple, at all".

I installed a VPN on my Asus router, no problem. Installed OpenVPN client on my Samsung S5, no problem. Imported the .opvn file to the Android client, no problem. Can access BI using UI3 with, again, no problem.

Went to set up my wife's Iphone7. Started the install of the OpenVPN client. Got stuck at how in the heck to get the .opvn file to import into the client. It's on the phone, but none of the options for installing the file work, at all. Gave up in disgust, no problem.
Email the client1.ovpn file to yourself from your computer. Next open the email on your phone and click the client1.ovpn file you attached. Then select "Copy to OpenVPN." OpenVPN will then open. Next click the Green "+" and then type in your log in username & password. Now click connect.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll give that a try. It would be nice to have it working on the wife's phone, too.

Kitsap

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I installed a VPN on my Asus router, no problem. Installed OpenVPN client on my Samsung S5, no problem. Imported the .opvn file to the Android client, no problem. Can access BI using UI3 with, again, no problem
I would really like to question the terminology being used. I doubt very seriously if you "installed" a VPN on your Asus router. Most likely you enabled a feature in the firmware of your router and once enabled you proceeded through a configuration process. The term "installed" leads one to believe you downloaded a file or inserted a disc in your computer to install a program.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Email the client1.ovpn file to yourself from your computer. Next open the email on your phone and click the client1.ovpn file you attached. Then select "Copy to OpenVPN." OpenVPN will then open. Next click the Green "+" and then type in your log in username & password. Now click connect.
Don't email that file to yourself!!! It should never leave your network. Download a file manager app, plug your phone into the computer or figure out another secure way to get the file from your computer to your phone. Do not use email, drop box or anything else that can be compromised.

Joe Blough

n3wb
Reaction score
So how do apps like Tiny Cam Pro let you view your camera over the internet? Do they require you to forward ports? Should you use them with a VPN or not use them at all? Is the VPN only if you are using a browser to view the camera?

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can use any app with VPN. You would set upp the app as if you were local. I use, and like, tinyCam.

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't email that file to yourself!!! It should never leave your network. Download a file manager app, plug your phone into the computer or figure out another secure way to get the file from your computer to your phone. Do not use email, drop box or anything else that can be compromised.
That is true but if you have to manually add your username and password I don't see an issue.

grcgto

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all. New to all of this as I am setting up a camera system at home, I have learned a ton for my setup with everything here. At the moment have one camera (two from Andy in its box), Blue Iris on a dedicated mini-PC. All external access - I'm pretty sure - shut down on the camera. I have not set up a separate VLAN as I'm still figuring that out.

BI is set up with its web server on but I have not done any configuration for external access eg through my router's virtual server or port forwarding. (BI is awesome btw.)

OpenVPN is set up on my ASUS router, ovpn files created and loaded on my phone and laptop. Access works great, really it was pretty easy to set up.

So my questions, which I'm pretty sure I know the answers to, but it seems almost too easy. While away from my home network, I'm assuming it is as simple as opening up the VPN client, and then accessing the internal BI web server to see my cameras?

And on my laptop, could I not be able to also access the dedicated BI PC via remote desktop connection (I'm on Windows)?

Am I missing anything?

Appreciate all the great advice on the forums.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all. New to all of this as I am setting up a camera system at home, I have learned a ton for my setup with everything here. At the moment have one camera (two from Andy in its box), Blue Iris on a dedicated mini-PC. All external access - I'm pretty sure - shut down on the camera. I have not set up a separate VLAN as I'm still figuring that out.

BI is set up with its web server on but I have not done any configuration for external access eg through my router's virtual server or port forwarding. (BI is awesome btw.)

OpenVPN is set up on my ASUS router, ovpn files created and loaded on my phone and laptop. Access works great, really it was pretty easy to set up.

So my questions, which I'm pretty sure I know the answers to, but it seems almost too easy. While away from my home network, I'm assuming it is as simple as opening up the VPN client, and then accessing the internal BI web server to see my cameras?

And on my laptop, could I not be able to also access the dedicated BI PC via remote desktop connection (I'm on Windows)?

Am I missing anything?

Appreciate all the great advice on the forums.
Yes.
I highly recommend the BI app for your phone.