VPN Primer for Noobs

What VPN Solution are you using?

• Total voters

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
But to get it working for now just disabled DCHP and NAT on the modem/router. Then the only thing that will be plugged into the modem is your new router that's running the VPN. Everything else on your network will be connected directly to your new router.
do i need to disable DCHP and Disable NAT before i call isp provider to switch my isp router modem to bridge mode or is it automatically disabled with switching to bridge mode i cant find on my router modem where is nat function

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
also can i install first pptp vpn account it seems much easier and when i get it working then install open vpn?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
do i need to disable DCHP and Disable NAT before i call isp provider to switch my isp router modem to bridge mode or is it automatically disabled with switching to bridge mode i cant find on my router modem where is nat function
you'll have to talk to your ISP but typically it'll assign the external IP to your router via DHCP or you'll have to configure your router to login to there service.. its going to be easier and less work to get OpenVPN working out of the gate.

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thx nayr ...i phone my isp provider ,and their customer support really sucks ,his answer was :i really dont know this information so its best way to look at some forums and see what other did it to make it work.
when i call them to turn on bridge mode i can no longer go inside their isp router modem typing 192.168.1.1. ...ill try open vpn from start ..

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I finally set mine up on my BI machine as my router does not have VPN built in. I used this guide and it worked first time.

Easy_Windows_Guide – OpenVPN Community

The only mistake I made was I only created one client the first time and couldn't figure out how to make a new client without starting at the beginning. Oh well, it was much easier the second time around. Thanks to nayr for bringing this to my attention :)

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My router supports VPN tap. ios and android does not. I did find an android app that works. It does work as advertised. As of now my wife and daughter are out of luck until ios supports it or netgear supports VPN tun.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
My router supports VPN tap. ios and android does not. I did find an android app that works. It does work as advertised. As of now my wife and daughter are out of luck until ios supports it or netgear supports VPN tun.
The only way to get my Tp-link C9 is to flash it with dd-wrt which on my model is about a 50/50 chance of it taking. Since my BI machine is on 24/7 it works great and I don't even know it is running. Too bad yours won't do the TUN method as I have 2 clients now on IPhone and seems to work fine. Now I don't see my IP# anymore :)

Conn.JPG

misterfredsr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had problems with my isp providers modem/router combo so I dumped it and got a cheap modem and a netgear router. I had no problems setting up bridge mode with the modem and was able to set up the vpn with the router.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The only way to get my Tp-link C9 is to flash it with dd-wrt which on my model is about a 50/50 chance of it taking. Since my BI machine is on 24/7 it works great and I don't even know it is running. Too bad yours won't do the TUN method as I have 2 clients now on IPhone and seems to work fine. Now I don't see my IP# anymore :)

View attachment 16481
It works awesome on my Android. I'd hate to buy a router just so my wife and daughter has remote access.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I must have missed the reason why there is an effort to use TAP vs TUN. I will see if i can find it in the earlier posts. Is it because people's routers is stuck with TAP? I think the newer Netgear models suffer from this, which is better than it was when they did not seem to support VPN at all as a server. Or is it because people have services that are not IP traffic like poorly configured old windows gear (not WINS) or non-IP network printers? In my opinion, use TUN if at all possible, as it cleans up traffic on the net due to the nature of L3 routing (TUN) vs bridging the broadcast domain (TAP). As @nayr pointed out, it is easy with the right gear (ie newer ASUS router), but the theory and bits underneath is fairly complicated.

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a newer Netgear router (R7800) and had no issue getting OpenVPN to work. Select Vpn on, save setting, then generate the file for PC and for smartphone. Save the files, then import into the app or software. No issue setting it up on my laptop or 2 iOS devices.

SamSpade

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a newer Netgear router (R7800) and had no issue getting OpenVPN to work. Select Vpn on, save setting, then generate the file for PC and for smartphone. Save the files, then import into the app or software. No issue setting it up on my laptop or 2 iOS devices.

Same router here, but mine would not let me enable VPN unless I enabled DDNS first (and setup an account etc...).

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
added netgear to the poll :)