VPN Primer for Noobs

What VPN Solution are you using?

• Total voters

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
tried again admin admin and got pop up user is blocked?

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yes i learned a lot reading ipcamtalk every day for couple of hours lol :)

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
tried again admin admin and got pop up user is blocked?
Yeah if you enter incorrect credentials too many times you will get locked out. It will let you back in eventually if you let it reset otherwise you might be able to clear it by power cycling the NVR. It's a good idea to have an account for each device that will login to the NVR so if one locks you out you have a way back in.
your NVR you'll want to have admin rights so it can make changes, but for viewers give them a user account so they cant change your configs.. making unique logins for specific apps/users/devices is a good thing when they are securely generated and permissions setup correctly.. same for your VPN, make a login per device so if a device gets lost/stolen you just have to change the password for that user and its locked out without updating a bunch of apps, scripts and programs

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
big thx -im really fck up with this sheit.. lol just now need to order for my friend 6 bullets 5231 and nvr 5216 ..damn this forum lol cant even make to work this for my self and need to order and install everything for at least 2 of my friends ,after everithing is done with me and friends ,ill have some free time next year aggain :banghead:

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
big thx -im really fck up with this sheit..
You're welcome, it's all part of the learning experience. We all have to start somewhere.

lol just now need to order for my friend 6 bullets 5231 and nvr 5216 ..damn this forum lol cant even make to work this for my self and need to order and install everything for at least 2 of my friends ,after everithing is done with me and friends ,ill have some free time next year aggain :banghead:
By implementing your own system you are working out any bugs or issues you may have when you go to install theirs.

Last edited:

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
oh ill make them pay, atleast few boxes of beer and couple of bbq hahahah

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
got it finally working it was my fault wrong password :banghead:..got it working on tablet big thx everyone for all the help,tried it 10 minutes and was working, but plug it out because of the stories about mirai virus and other that bricking cameras ...i need to check first does my setting are ok,what do you think?IMG_20170408_085406.jpg IMG_20170408_092254.jpg IMG_20170408_103947.jpg IMG_20170408_104450.jpg IMG_20170408_104717.jpg IMG_20170408_132244.jpg IMG_20170408_132307.jpg IMG_20170408_132329.jpg IMG_20170408_132347.jpg IMG_20170408_132406.jpg IMG_20170408_132427.jpg IMG_20170408_141816.jpg
and on last picture i assume i have some odd things happening :reboot shutdown,offline alarms etc logins at 2 in the morning ??@at this time nvr 16p 5216 was just connected to cameras and monitor no internet ?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks good; by default Dahua cameras have Auto-Maintain enabled and the'll reboot at 2am.. I suggest disabling the feature.

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
big thx nayr..so i can plug tomorrow nvr to net:) will check tomorrow but i think i disable Auto-Maintain function ....still need to put 5th turret 5231 on pole,and soon it will arrive ptz49 from andy...
now only big problem that i have is because i put cameras on 27 monitor:D ..and everybody that see them cant believe how good picture is ..yesterday i order from andy 6 bullets 5231 and nvr16p 5216 for my buddy..

neverever

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, got the openvpn working on my new Asus router, phone and computer.
Thanks nayr for teaching me some security on the internet, I had my ports opened/forward before.
Now they're closed.

Next step, blocking the cameras from accessing the internet but allowing emails to be sent...

neverever

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I still haven't managed to get the cameras to send only email.
I want the photos.
I have the gDMSS Plus app but because I don't have an NVR I can't get the photos from the app when an alarm is triggered.

If I can get some help to configure the Asus router for email it would be appreciated.
I have the ASUS RT-N18U and I guess it's here I should configure it.
router rules.PNG
I managed to block everything, alla cameras and all devices, when I put one cameras ip on white list, only allowing port 465, that's for my gmail account.
Or maybe I can use an external email program working on LAN and then forward it to my gmail, then the camera wouldn't need internet access.

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hi i have same router ASUS RT-N18U .how did you disable cameras to go to internet?

neverever

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
hi i have same router ASUS RT-N18U .how did you disable cameras to go to internet?
You can block all internet access under "network map" and click on the client you want to block.
But I made by mistake some rule under meny "firewall" that block all devices to reach internet when I only wanted to allow email for one device...

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can block all internet access under "network map" and click on the client you want to block.
But I made by mistake some rule under meny "firewall" that block all devices to reach internet when I only wanted to allow email for one device...
What firmware did you flash into the router? Merlin? I haven't had success blocking mine from the net so I've been trying to use the IP Tables and rules but it's all Greek to me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just an FYI, if you block all internet access under the "network map" for Asus routers it will block incoming connection from VPN as well...been there done that! So basically that is a no go if you plan on VPN'g back to see your cams.

neverever

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just an FYI, if you block all internet access under the "network map" for Asus routers it will block incoming connection from VPN as well...been there done that! So basically that is a no go if you plan on VPN'g back to see your cams.
Yes you're right, didn't try the VPN while I was blocking one camera before, but I just did and it didn't work...

aabs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Having just installed my first home NVR it has highlighted how easy but insecure the embedded Easy4IP was to set up.
I have a QNAP NAS sat on my network which I beleave can run openVPN I would like to learn how to set up and configure this to make Easy4IP more secure.
Hope someone can point me towards a few stickies to set up and configure

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can't make easy4ip / p2p more secure.