VPN Primer for Noobs

What VPN Solution are you using?

• Total voters

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Barboots, Weird, I dont seem to have the same OVPN app. Even the symbols in the upper left corner look different. /// My settings page is much simpler. No menu at the top.
Paul the icons you see are for other stuff... I wasn't connected to the VPN when I screenshot.

On the settings page, can you swipe across (R to L) to show different screens?

Paulx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Barboots, I really think we have different apps. Mine is version 3.0.5 and I do not have that menu things going like yours. And mine says "<- Settings Save" in the blue banner. No FnFast either. So, I tried the L to R and R to L swipes and nothing. Suspect it has something to do with the menu in the blue banner that I dont have. Thanks for the help

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
F'n'fast is my WiFi name... just winding up a neighbour who was a bit jealous of the fibre speed tier my girl is happy to pay for

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.blinkt.openvpn

That's the "OpenVPN for Android" app I'm using. I think the settings shown will achieve what you're trying to do, without manually or automatically switching the VPN on and off.

Cheers, Steve

Paulx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I installed the same via your link. I now have a menu at the top and can change the selected menu item via swipes. Although I do not have the same items in my menu, lacking IP and DNS, Routing, Authentication and what ever is the XXX List on the left.
I used the same files that I created and used with the earlier OVPN app. When I loaded them, a message popped up saying something about converting the file. I also had to enter my user name and password again. I had this one warning when I connected in the log. I get the gist, but have no clue how to fix "WARNING: --ns-cert-type is DEPRECATED. Use --remote-cert-tls instead."

Thanks for the help. Paul

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
PaulX
Without the VPN can you connect to the Blue Iris web interface using a web browser when you at home via WIFI ?
Using the VPN can you connect to the Blue Iris web interface using a web browser when you at at a remote site via WIFI ?
If the answer is yes to both the above questions, I can hot help with the cell phone problems.
I use straight talk which uses AT&T , i have no problem connecting in houston texas.

Paulx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@SouthernYankee
Without the VPN can you connect to the Blue Iris web interface using a web browser when you at home via WIFI ?
Yes I can. used my phone.

Using the VPN can you connect to the Blue Iris web interface using a web browser when you at at a remote site via WIFI ?
I didnt try the URL 192.168.X.X:81 But I did use the BI app for Android and made connection via a remote WiFi. As I noted before, it appears to me that it is cellular issue?

Thanks for your continuing help.

I also loaded a different version of OpenVPN and this made no changes.

So, I suppose I need to know more about the video and what coding it is that Sprint would be blocking?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Paulx
Try changing the port that the VPN uses. This can by pass some phone problems some times. As always test the VPN on a remote WiFi.

Paulx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I presume your speaking of the 1194 to what number are you thinking of? PM me if you would. Note really sure if I am worried about others see this. Cause of the user name and password are still needed along with the dynamic IP always changing. So if you dont think it would be a real security risk, put it here then.

Thanks

Paulx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Changed the port to 443 and exported a new config file and installed it on the OVPN phone app. Same results I am sorry to say.

Dudester

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Changed the port to 443 and exported a new config file and installed it on the OVPN phone app. Same results I am sorry to say.
I have never been able to get the iphone app to connect on celluler either. It works with the url in a browser however. The phone has to be on a wifi connection for the app to work.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What carrier do you guys have?
I have an iphone 8 on att. I actually have to turn off wifi because wifi is through work, and my work must be doing some filtering to stop the vpn connection, so wifi won't work for me.
But if I turn off wifi, cell works fine to make the openvpn connection.

I basically only use vpn over cell, either iphone or android and both are working fine for me.

FWIW, I using openvpn connect version 3.0.2.(894). IOS version 12.0

Dudester

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What carrier do you guys have?
I have an iphone 8 on att. I actually have to turn off wifi because wifi is through work, and my work must be doing some filtering to stop the vpn connection, so wifi won't work for me.
But if I turn off wifi, cell works fine to make the openvpn connection.

I basically only use vpn over cell, either iphone or android and both are working fine for me.

FWIW, I using openvpn connect version 3.0.2.(894). IOS version 12.0
I'm on AT&T. I can connect the vpn ok, just cant get the iphone app to work in cellular mode only. I have to use the browser interface. Weird thing is if I wifi connect to a cell hotspot, the iphone app works.I also have no issues using the BI app on cellular only on a port fowarded account.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm on AT&T. I can connect the vpn ok, just cant get the iphone app to work in cellular mode only. I have to use the browser interface. Weird thing is if I wifi connect to a cell hotspot, the iphone app works.I also have no issues using the BI app on cellular only on a port fowarded account.
Oh sorry, I missed that part of your problem. I don't use the iphone app, just the browser.

That is strange that the app acts differently for cell vpn. Maybe there are some connection settings in the app you can play with?

Ckb3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I got my VPN up and running thanks to @randytsuch guide. Once im on my VPN i can access my cameras/NVR but none of my apps on my iphone work. I must have missed a setting in the process that allows traffic to flow over my VPN. any insight?

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am using the Open VPN client for Windows and Android. I had the password saved so it would connect. But now I can't remember it. How do I recover the saved password?

I don't want to change it since the devices that use it already have the open vpn file.

How can I recover it from the Windows client?

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am using the Open VPN client for Windows and Android. I had the password saved so it would connect. But now I can't remember it. How do I recover the saved password?

I don't want to change it since the devices that use it already have the open vpn file.

How can I recover it from the Windows client?
I finally remembered it.

I need to start using a password manager for a few passwords.

Is there any password manager that works across multiple devices? If I install a manager on one device and that device crashes or breaks, then I'm out of luck.

Or will I just have to use different password managers on different devices, and store the same passwords in both, so that if one device crashes or breaks, I still have the other device?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
I finally remembered it.

Is there any password manager that works across multiple devices? If I install a manager on one device and that device crashes or breaks, then I'm out of luck.

Or will I just have to use different password managers on different devices, and store the same passwords in both, so that if one device crashes or breaks, I still have the other device?
I can advice KeePass (runs on Windows & Android): I got a local copy on my PC, which gets synced on google drive and linked back to the android. Works like a charm (and does not require a subscription/cloud thing like other tools). Unfortunately, not working on iOS (or you are stuck with something not coming from the original keepass creator).

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I finally remembered it.

I use lastpass. I paid for the family version for my wife and kids too, and then we can share passwords if we need to.

I have it installed on a macbook, laptop, iphone and android phone, so a fair amount of backup lol

Randy

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can advice KeePass (runs on Windows & Android): I got a local copy on my PC, which gets synced on google drive and linked back to the android. Works like a charm (and does not require a subscription/cloud thing like other tools). Unfortunately, not working on iOS (or you are stuck with something not coming from the original keepass creator).
I use lastpass. I paid for the family version for my wife and kids too, and then we can share passwords if we need to.

I have it installed on a macbook, laptop, iphone and android phone, so a fair amount of backup lol

Randy
Thanks. I only need Windows and Android. But, it wouldn't hurt to look into LastPass, since it's compatible across all 3 OS, just in case.

I'll try these out and let you know what I decide. Thanks again.