VPN works for NAS, but not BI...

Reaction score
Hello all, I have setup a VPN on my Asus router, and it works great to access my Synology NAS over cell networks away from home. However, I'm having intermittent access to BI. Seems to work sometimes and not others. I have no issues with accessing over wifi, but as soon as I disconnect wifi, fire up the VPN, and then try to connect, I can't get into BI. Again, the remote access to the NAS works great remotely over VPN.

Any ideas where to start to troubleshoot would be greatly appreciated!

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is the issue with connecting or streaming video? Bandwidth issue maybe? Are you using the BI mobile app or your browser?

Reaction score
Is the issue with connecting or streaming video? Bandwidth issue maybe? Are you using the BI mobile app or your browser?
The issue is with connecting, and is intermittent. Sometimes I can connect and sometimes I can't. When it connects, it works just fine (when it connects it behaves the same as when I connected to LAN wifi).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have setup a VPN on my Asus router, and it works great to access my Synology NAS over cell networks away from home. However, I'm having intermittent access to BI. Seems to work sometimes and not others. I have no issues with accessing over wifi, but as soon as I disconnect wifi, fire up the VPN, and then try to connect, I can't get into BI. Again, the remote access to the NAS works great remotely over VPN.

Any ideas where to start to troubleshoot would be greatly appreciated!
ensure you have the LAN address in BOTH the wan and lan boxes.

Reaction score
ensure you have the LAN address in BOTH the wan and lan boxes.
Ok, changed the WAN box in the app to the LAN address.

Since it has been working intermittently, I can't quite tell if this will fix the issue or not, but I'll keep trying it for a few days and see if that does it. It is working fine at the moment though over VPN / cell connection! Thanks!

Did you assign a static IP to the BI server?
I'm not sure... so I guess not? Would that be done on the router or the computer that BI is installed on?

Are you trying to access the UI3 web interface ? This is my URL I use to get to my BI on the web http://192.168.1.234:8081/ui3.htm. The BI server is a static IP 192.168.1.234
Nope, just using the app, but I'll check out the web interface as another way to view the cameras.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
re: Static IP address

There are two ways to do it. The first is on the PC. Instead of "obtain IP address automatically", you enter an IP address, submask, gateway, and DNS address. This address must be on the same network as your router, but not conflict with any other devices. This is done by assigning it an IP address outside the range which your router hands out. You'd need to log into the router and look at the DHCP server.

The other option, is to tell your DHCP server to always assign the same address to your BI PC. It should have a list of all currently assigned addresses. Look at the MAC address to see which one is the BI PC, then set a reservation. That PC will still get its address automatically as far as Windows is concerned, but the router will give it the same one every time.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 to what @Mr_D said.
I set my static devices to an IP outside my router's DHCP pool; from 192.168.1.200 to 254 in my case.
So I went into my BI PC server and gave it a static LAN IP of 192.168.1.239 .

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
+1 to what @Mr_D said.
I set my static devices to an IP outside my router's DHCP pool; from 192.168.1.200 to 254 in my case.
So I went into my BI PC server and gave it a static LAN IP of 192.168.1.239 .
On most networks I set up, I'll start the DHCP range at 100 so everything below can be used for static addressing.

At home, I'm so hardcore I don't even have a DHCP server accessible on VLAN for the cameras and BI :). I figured I'm going to statically assign everything anyway and the lack of a DHCP server on that subnet reduces the attack surface on my router.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At home, I'm so hardcore I don't even have a DHCP server accessible on VLAN for the cameras and BI :). I figured I'm going to statically assign everything anyway and the lack of a DHCP server on that subnet reduces the attack surface on my router.
Understood.
I was trying to keep it simple for the newbie. :cool: