Vulnerabilities in IP cameras

Discussion in 'Cyber Security' started by fenderman, Apr 11, 2019.

Share This Page

1. TL1096r

TL1096r Pulling my weight

Doesn't seem to. I am looking to install openvpn on computer/phone app instead to keep things safe. I am running stunnel right now but want to move to a vpn but everyone only talks about ASUS router which won't work for me.

2. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee IPCT Contributor

@TL1096r
    Who is you internet provider ?
    can you purchase your own modem /modemrouter to replace the d-link.
    What model is the d-link ?

TL1096r likes this.
  3. tangent

tangent IPCT Contributor

Asus is far from the only option nor is it the most secure option. It's merely any easy option.

TL1096r likes this.
  4. J Sigmo

J Sigmo Known around here

@tangent What do you recommend as a more secure option than the Asus routers with OpenVPN running?

5. tangent

tangent IPCT Contributor

The main reason I said that is that the software on a device like a router isn't updated that quickly compared to say a computer. It's also easier to do things like implement a geo-block with firewall and vpn software on a PC.

6. J Sigmo

J Sigmo Known around here

Thank you. I appreciate your time and expertise. If I get really gung ho someday, I might have to look into implementing a more flexible and secure setup on a PC. Right now I'm running an Asus router and using its VPN, which was an easy route to take, but I'm always open to going further as I learn more.

Reading an article linked in another thread on here tonight, I was concerned by the description of "UDP Hole Punching". ( I wanted to paste the link to that article, but for whatever reason, I cannot paste links into my posts here from my phone, at least using this browser. I have no problem pasting links here when I am on a Windows PC).

But in any case, this seems disturbing.

It really is an ongoing arms race, so being able to keep things up to date is very important!

Thanks again for your valuable time.

7. dryfly

dryfly Getting the hang of it

What software would be your choice to run on a computer? Can VPN software be run on the same computer that BI is running on (since the computer would be on 24/7)?

8. catcamstar

catcamstar Getting comfortable

You could do that, but then you'll need to port forward VPN internet ports (eg default 1194) to that pc. Most people prefer to run the OpenVPN service on the internet router (eg Asus, ubiquity, ... ) but if you want to start small (and eg limit only bi-pc access through VPN), then you're good!

Hope this helps,
    CC

9. catcamstar

catcamstar Getting comfortable

I fully agree, but if you look at the release schedule of Rmerlin firmware (for ASUS), you'll get more comfortable.

Bye,
    CC