Wall of shame

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have any photos of installs you have had to fix or seen from previous installer? Ill try to find one next time I go to a clients place.
Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would like to add that I am just joking, lol

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That looks pretty good. If I took pictures of my biggest project, it would look 4.8 times worse but they don't want to pay to put everything in a rack, make it pretty, so it's wires going everywhere. Having spent years in data centers, it's not like I don't know how to make it neat, but neat cost time & money.

The best installers I've used did 3 things that are so awesomely insane it's worth mentioning. Smart Systems Technology in Irvine, CA, we hired them to install access control about 5 years ago. They used a new technique called an air battery where they put the battery inside the enclosure but did not connect it to anything. Somehow this did not work out as well as they thought during the first power outage. The good news is they agreed to come back and wire it for an additional $304.60. The contract said battery backup, but apparently attaching it was extra. The second act of genius was to put two power supply boards in an enclosure held in place only by the wires that attached them. Over a few months time, they sagged and touched each other, also did not turn out well, again offering to fix them under warranty for a price. Lastly, they installed an electric strike meant for a panic bar, but gate had a cylindrical lock. With careful monthly adjustment, we were able to make it work, until 5 years later when we installed a panic bar which wasn't easy because the gate opened the wrong way, yet another act of pure genius.

sst1.jpg

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey, at least they used heavy gauge for AC and two seperate feeds. I've seen guys use one transformer for two power supplies and piggy back the AC power supply for them. For those smp3's or 5's, I usually use thick double stick and shoot screws through the corner holes to screw them to the can. As for the battery, they must have thought if they didn't connect it, it would last longer. So they
actually did you a favor, LOL.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Have any photos of installs you have had to fix or seen from previous installer? Ill try to find one next time I go to a clients place.
Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
I did a walk thru scoping out cable runs last month at a Government facility for a Install I will be starting next month, this has to be the WORST I have personally seen.

mess.jpg

Xicaque

n3wb
Reaction score
what a clust fack! That would not even fly when I was in the middle east and other undisclosed areas.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
what a clust fack! That would not even fly when I was in the middle east and other undisclosed areas.
I figured the gang here would like that, its been sitting on my phone for a month and I was reminded today to get the gear ordered up for that job. This building has multiple State and County Departments in it and I was told this is the States closets. Your Taxpayers $$$ at work.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is ummm *cough* where I work *cough*. Pretty embarrassing. Supposedly it has been like that for a very long time. We've gotten a quotes for the professionals to come and rerun all new cat 6 but funds at work are very tight right now so it likely won't happen anytime soon.

20171018_125743.jpg
20171018_125749.jpg
20171018_125802.jpg

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sad thing is, the past two picture posts probably were installed by "Pros".
Some of our local schools look like that and worse, and were installed by "pros".
Along with splicing network cables above the ceilings by twisting the wires together and slapping some tape on it.

Snapper30

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Mmmm I like spaghetti.

I have seen some places try to order different length patch cables, and the supply folks say 'well the 12' cable is just a bit more, so it's a better deal'. Not such a deal when you have to work in that mess.