Want to buy an IPC-HDW5231R-Z or an IPC-HFW5231E-Z12

Reaction score
I'm having a little trouble finding where I can buy an IPC-HDW5231R-Z or an IPC-HFW5231E-Z12, probably because I want it as an NTSC version with a real warranty and I want it in less than 2 weeks.

Any advice?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm having a little trouble finding where I can buy an IPC-HDW5231R-Z or an IPC-HFW5231E-Z12, probably because I want it as an NTSC version with a real warranty and I want it in less than 2 weeks.

Any advice?
Hi Steve,

Those are international models, if you want to purchase products from a US vendor you want to look at the US Dahua Catalog for the US market models and search on those. B&H seems to carry a number of Dahua brand cameras so that would be a good place to start looking.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You will most likely have to upgrade the firmware at some point. They have been pretty good cameras to the folks here.
New egg has a USA stock of some of those cams.

US Stock Dahua HDW5231R-Z 2MP POE H.265 2.7-12MM Motorized Lens IR Eyeball Starligh Network Camera SD Slot - Newegg.com
Note that is sold by a third party seller from china...you will be paying 25 dollars more than via empire/andy (he ships dhl) and will likely take longer to arrive (if their claim of US stock is even true)...it will not have any warranty from dahua or newegg...

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Note that is sold by a third party seller from china...you will be paying 25 dollars more than via empire/andy (he ships dhl) and will likely take longer to arrive (if their claim of US stock is even true)...it will not have any warranty from dahua or newegg...
YUP I wonder if anybody here bought from them and could confirm IF they are really stocking them, they have been selling them for a few months now. I will say I have purchased my fair share of stuff from new egg and never had a issue but it was not Camera stuff. I guess my point is if somebody wanted one quick they could call them, they do have a number and confirm what they say is true if they wanted to roll the dice.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
YUP I wonder if anybody here bought from them and could confirm IF they are really stocking them, they have been selling them for a few months now. I will say I have purchased my fair share of stuff from new egg and never had a issue but it was not Camera stuff. I guess my point is if somebody wanted one quick they could call them, they do have a number and confirm what they say is true if they wanted to roll the dice.
I noticed after posting that it says shipped by newegg, not sure newegg will allow that if it was not stocked, kind of like amazon ships for their third party sellers....I get your point, but if you use standard shipping you will likely get it after DHL would have delivered andys...it would depend on what warehouse newegg ships the cams from..

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Ya know Fenderman I will give them a call tomorrow and find out the story for the heck of it, They have a Illinois number, so we will see. I will let the crew know what they say, I know zero about them and this would be for the people who need it like tomorrow. I ran thru the checkout on new egg and they(THE automated shipping says 3 days to NY. We will see about that one. I think i will pop a top now and watch my resurrected Giants.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi mat200. Thanks for your reply.

Obviously I don't buy IP cameras often. In your opinion are my concerns valid?
Hi Steve,

It is a good question and concern to bring up in general, and it would be good to see US ( or for those in the EU, EU ) vendors who are able to support and sell these and similar US market cameras for a competitive price.

The challenge in general is finding a good US supplier as well as the options of product which allow us to build a custom kit. Clearly from others who have shared their experiences this version of the dahua varifocal starlight model is not yet available as a US model. So we do not even have a choice to pick this.

Some of the fixed lens starlight cameras are available as US models iirc.

Numerous companies have re-branded Dahua OEMs - and if you look closely at some of the kits available through vendors like Costco - you'll notice Lorex and Q-see offering rebranded versions of the Dahua OEM 4K bullets with fixed lens. The price points they have offered the kits are good and competitive compared to similar individual parts from China. However, when adding individual cameras from the vendors the pricing gets significantly higher AND the camera options are limited. I have not seen any starlight cameras from either Q-see or Lorex when viewing their individual cameras or kits available. It is possible to pick up one of these kits and augment it with a couple or more Dahua international model starlight cameras. That would be a possible option if you feel more comfortable going that route.

Other sellers like Nelly's Security perhaps may offer you a better value to custom assemble a security camera kit. You'd need to check. ( just looked, seems like Nelly's has Hikvision OEM products )

After looking at my options when I was needing to purchase, needing low light cameras, and seeing numerous people here having good experiences with Andy as well as some other Chinese vendors I accepted that for my tighter budget I would be willing to accept purchasing from non-US based sellers. As with anything you do want to pick your vendors carefully - ideally one which has good customer service and is reliable. I reviewed what others here were saying and saw that Andy ( EmpireTecAndy ) was well recommended.

Andy did a great job with my order, and I am happy with his service and would recommend him.

Naturally, you will have to decide what works best for your situation, with your budget, and what you find comfortable.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and I don't know the ropes yet. Is the Andy you refer to at this email address? kingsecurity2014@163.com?

I understand his cameras com in as PAL devices. Is it true that they can be flashed to NTSC?
Hi Steve,

Yes i believe that is correct, and yes you can flash firmware - PAL vs NTSC does not matter so much for IP camera.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Ya know Fenderman I will give them a call tomorrow and find out the story for the heck of it, They have a Illinois number, so we will see. I will let the crew know what they say, I know zero about them and this would be for the people who need it like tomorrow. I ran thru the checkout on new egg and they(THE automated shipping says 3 days to NY. We will see about that one. I think i will pop a top now and watch my resurrected Giants.
I called the number supplied by New Egg for Bee's Security, I did in fact get a guy on the line who was VERY surprised I was calling and claiming he was a shipping company, I asked him about the Camera in question and he took my number and said someone would call me back about it. As of now I have not received a call back. Below is the company profile that is listed for Bee's Security market.

bee.JPG

Tibor Makai

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have just flashed the R-Z and E-Z12 cameras that were PAL, with NTSC firmware and they are all NTSC now. They work with digital signal, does not matter, if they are PAL or NTSC. You are not connecting them to the TV directly, anyway.

Reaction score
I have just flashed the R-Z and E-Z12 cameras that were PAL, with NTSC firmware and they are all NTSC now. They work with digital signal, does not matter, if they are PAL or NTSC. You are not connecting them to the TV directly, anyway.
Good point that I'm not connecting them to TV. I had thought PAL-NTSC had to do with more than TV. Thanks!