IP Cam Talk

Welcome to the new IPCT! If you are having an issue logging in, please clear your cookies / cache.

Water-Proof Junction box vs Wall Mount Bracket

sibi78

n3wb
Hi All,

Newbie here, and I wanted a basic clarification on the water-proof junction box vs the wall-mount bracket.

My understanding is that if I use the junction box outdoors, it does have holes on its outside so that I send an external wire conduit or a bare cat 5e cable through the hole. However, if I do use the wall-mount bracket, the only option is to drill a hole through the wall to send the conduit or the cat 5e cable. Is my understanding correct?

I have already purchased a wall-mount bracket, and I was wondering if there is a way to run a conduit/cat cable externally without drilling through the wall. I can't think of any, but I wanted to confirm with the pros. Based on this, I might return the wall-mount bracket and just go for the junction box.

Thanks.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Hi All,

Newbie here, and I wanted a basic clarification on the water-proof junction box vs the wall-mount bracket.

My understanding is that if I use the junction box outdoors, it does have holes on its outside so that I send an external wire conduit or a bare cat 5e cable through the hole. However, if I do use the wall-mount bracket, the only option is to drill a hole through the wall to send the conduit or the cat 5e cable. Is my understanding correct?

I have already purchased a wall-mount bracket, and I was wondering if there is a way to run a conduit/cat cable externally without drilling through the wall. I can't think of any, but I wanted to confirm with the pros. Based on this, I might return the wall-mount bracket and just go for the junction box.

Thanks.
Hi @sibi78

The Dahua wall mount bracket ( ex PFB203W ) does not have holes on it's side(s) for conduit connections.

I would have to double check if there is a cut out hole on the side or bottom of the wall mount to run a cat5e/6 cable along the wall into it. If there is not, that would be a fairly easy dremel job.

update: from the following picture it appears to have a hole on the side you can use to route a cat5e/6 cable into it

upload_2019-9-11_10-50-43.png

sibi78

n3wb
@mat200 , thanks for confirming I'll check to see if I have the hole on the side.

Just to confirm the junction box definitely has the side hole for the conduit, right?

Thanks again.

J Sigmo

Known around here
I hav not used that particular box. But it seems to have several threaded conduit entry points with screw-in plugs sealing them until you remove one for your conduit fitting.

Here's a listing with more photos:

https://www.amazon.com/Dahua-Water-Proof-HDW4631C-HDBW4433R-ZS-HFW4431R-Z/dp/B07FNQWGLH/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp?keywords=empire+tech+waterproof+junction&pd_rd_i=B07FNQWGLH&pd_rd_r=3498cfcc-9870-4b2e-9b8a-1ea8553f8f17&pd_rd_w=TCERD&pd_rd_wg=tS95r&pf_rd_p=d006b618-5fac-44e6-850d-a0fdd19f7847&pf_rd_r=80JEKVMJFCEXBJGG3JGT&qid=1568228310&s=gateway

I use the PFA122 style boxes because they allow you to remove the cover without disturbing the camera's mounting to that cover. But they're bigger and less "sleek" looking.

cyberwolf_uk

Pulling my weight
Hi All,

Thanks.
I always go for the wall mount bracket over a water proof junction box.... The wall mount install just looks so clean and tidy compared to having the ugly water proof box sitting next to it.

I've had quite a few of these brackets with only one entry point at the side as displayed in the picture on post #2 so when needed I have either drilled or filed a small entry point so I can run the external cable / conduit to the desired location.