Water-Proof Junction box vs Wall Mount Bracket

sibi78

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

Newbie here, and I wanted a basic clarification on the water-proof junction box vs the wall-mount bracket.

My understanding is that if I use the junction box outdoors, it does have holes on its outside so that I send an external wire conduit or a bare cat 5e cable through the hole. However, if I do use the wall-mount bracket, the only option is to drill a hole through the wall to send the conduit or the cat 5e cable. Is my understanding correct?

I have already purchased a wall-mount bracket, and I was wondering if there is a way to run a conduit/cat cable externally without drilling through the wall. I can't think of any, but I wanted to confirm with the pros. Based on this, I might return the wall-mount bracket and just go for the junction box.

Thanks.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,

Newbie here, and I wanted a basic clarification on the water-proof junction box vs the wall-mount bracket.

My understanding is that if I use the junction box outdoors, it does have holes on its outside so that I send an external wire conduit or a bare cat 5e cable through the hole. However, if I do use the wall-mount bracket, the only option is to drill a hole through the wall to send the conduit or the cat 5e cable. Is my understanding correct?

I have already purchased a wall-mount bracket, and I was wondering if there is a way to run a conduit/cat cable externally without drilling through the wall. I can't think of any, but I wanted to confirm with the pros. Based on this, I might return the wall-mount bracket and just go for the junction box.

Thanks.
Hi @sibi78

The Dahua wall mount bracket ( ex PFB203W ) does not have holes on it's side(s) for conduit connections.

I would have to double check if there is a cut out hole on the side or bottom of the wall mount to run a cat5e/6 cable along the wall into it. If there is not, that would be a fairly easy dremel job.

update: from the following picture it appears to have a hole on the side you can use to route a cat5e/6 cable into it

upload_2019-9-11_10-50-43.png

sibi78

n3wb
Reaction score
@mat200 , thanks for confirming I'll check to see if I have the hole on the side.

Just to confirm the junction box definitely has the side hole for the conduit, right?

Thanks again.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Which model of waterproof junction box? There are a few.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I hav not used that particular box. But it seems to have several threaded conduit entry points with screw-in plugs sealing them until you remove one for your conduit fitting.

Here's a listing with more photos:

https://www.amazon.com/Dahua-Water-Proof-HDW4631C-HDBW4433R-ZS-HFW4431R-Z/dp/B07FNQWGLH/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp?keywords=empire+tech+waterproof+junction&pd_rd_i=B07FNQWGLH&pd_rd_r=3498cfcc-9870-4b2e-9b8a-1ea8553f8f17&pd_rd_w=TCERD&pd_rd_wg=tS95r&pf_rd_p=d006b618-5fac-44e6-850d-a0fdd19f7847&pf_rd_r=80JEKVMJFCEXBJGG3JGT&qid=1568228310&s=gateway

I use the PFA122 style boxes because they allow you to remove the cover without disturbing the camera's mounting to that cover. But they're bigger and less "sleek" looking.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi All,

Thanks.
I always go for the wall mount bracket over a water proof junction box.... The wall mount install just looks so clean and tidy compared to having the ugly water proof box sitting next to it.

I've had quite a few of these brackets with only one entry point at the side as displayed in the picture on post #2 so when needed I have either drilled or filed a small entry point so I can run the external cable / conduit to the desired location.