Waterproofing connection to camera

Twister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So got this nifty setup to waterproof nic connection. Problem is, doesn't fit over cable. What have others used? The electric adapter no problem. Just use shrink tube since not needed in install.

Thought of splitting the nifty to make it work and then electrical tape. Sloppy, but can be done.

Wildest suggestions welcome. BTW, cameras will be protected by overhangs.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can cut the connector off and put your own on to use that "waterproof connector"

You can trim off the excess of that existing connector to make it fit that "waterproof connector"

But in either event you will find that this connector is not really waterproof.

You need to throw some dielectric grease on the connections and then self-vulcanizing tape around it to truly make it waterproof.

Reaction score
You are using pre-made cable, which is more than likely stranded instead of solid wire. If you cut off the RJ45 and slip the 'waterproof' connectors over the wire and then put a new RJ45 on there, you may have an issue if the wire is not solid copper. If it is solid, then no issue. Place dielectric grease in the socket and plug in. Close off the 'waterproof' connector and then wrap it with electrical tape.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
They also make some of those connectors to pass a finished RJ-45. But as samplenhold said above, if that's stranded cable would be better to use solid copper and finish your own end. A short run you probably can get away with using a patch cable assuming that you can get it to where you need it without damage.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So got this nifty setup to waterproof nic connection. Problem is, doesn't fit over cable. What have others used? The electric adapter no problem. Just use shrink tube since not needed in install.

Thought of splitting the nifty to make it work and then electrical tape. Sloppy, but can be done.

Wildest suggestions welcome. BTW, cameras will be protected by overhangs.
FYI - Those connectors are intended in general when you are using bulk cables and terminating the ends yourself, and do not work with premade cables.

iirc there are some versions which are larger ..

imho:
I do not use these, instead I use a junction box + a bit of dielectric grease + silicone stretch tape / coax tape + good electrical tape over that .. and put the bundle on the top part ( inside ) of the junction box.

1655752104233.png

1655752276293.png

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Since it's 3/4" ID you'd need a 1" ID hole to pass it through to get it into a wall or soffit cavity.

Twister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks all. So far all connections will be protected . For first shot all good. Will look further.

Twister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Going to go with 1.5" PVC to get through floor where resting place will be. Got preminilaies done.

Reaction score
Hey, that nifty waterproofing setup sounds cool! If it doesn't fit over the cable, you might want to consider heat-shrink tubing or even a flexible silicone sealant. Splitting it and using electrical tape could work as a quick fix, but keeping it watertight is key. And for extra protection, you might want to look into crystalline waterproofing for your camera setup - keeps everything safe and sound!

Last edited:

jec6613

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey, that nifty waterproofing setup sounds cool! If it doesn't fit over the cable, you might want to consider heat-shrink tubing or even a flexible silicone sealant. Splitting it and using electrical tape could work as a quick fix, but keeping it watertight is key.
Mastic tape is an even better choice. It's what amateur radio operators use, because even a tiny bit of water can affect signal on LMR400 - Ethernet is a much less sensitive connection.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have six outside cameras directly exposed to the elements. The cable connections are inside junction boxes and after many years I've had zero problems with water intrusion...no dielectric grease or tape required.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Mastic tape is an even better choice. It's what amateur radio operators use, because even a tiny bit of water can affect signal on LMR400 - Ethernet is a much less sensitive connection.
can you remove the Mastic tape in the future if you need to without ruining the cables?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
can you remove the Mastic tape in the future if you need to without ruining the cables?
I can say that the self-vulcanizing rubber tape can be removed without damaging the conductor or cable jacket. With a little work and patience, it can be removed using a sharp pocket knife and sharp diagonal cutters.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Careful!
I bought that exact listing in 2023 and didn't take note that those are too big for Dahua camera pigtails!
Good to know.
And there are several sizes available, such as the 17.5mm below....if it were me, I would measure first with my digital calipers before ordering. We know there are tons of cams produced by China with many variations so it's probable that no one device, such as this "waterproof connector" is a "one size fits all" device. :cool:

RJ45_conn17-5mm.png

Last edited: