WD ReadyView Cameras / NVR

Reaction score
That is a smokin' deal!

How is the 2MP system? So far, the 4MP system is working pretty well. I'm playing with the image settings right now to improve the low light performance, and with just a few tweaks, it's looking much better. Of course, this IS my first camera system, so I don't have much to compare it with, other than what I've seen online.
It's amazing for me and the HD setting on the app looks excellent to me. I found the night vision is very good if you make sure nothing within 10-15ft to reflect the IR light too much. I've seen small animals around my house and even discovered it was a bird who was sneaking to eat my fruits. I love having the WD Mybook backup device too so I have over 30 days of backup. Very happy overall.

wackystuff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
one of my elderly neighbor is looking to get a simple, affordable security system,, i think this fits the bill.. anyone knows if wd (or any other company) sells a junction box that fits this camera?

Reaction score
one of my elderly neighbor is looking to get a simple, affordable security system,, i think this fits the bill.. anyone knows if wd (or any other company) sells a junction box that fits this camera?
Generally you wont need a junction box since it is one cat6 cable and it comes with a watertight connection. However, I had to use a junction box on one of mine. I just used a standard box with a blank cover and drilled a hole in the center for the wire. Them just used self tapping screws to mount the camera to the box.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - get a security alarm system also...

Jporterz28

n3wb
Reaction score
Just saw the Microcenter email ad for this today (or maybe it was yesterday) and it's down to $299 for the 4MP 4TB system. Tough to beat that price, IMHO. It's certainly not a high end system, but for the price it's more than I expected. If you want more control, and advanced settings, etc. connect a monitor and mouse to it, or login to it with a web browser. I'm contemplating buying a second just for the additional cameras at this price! If I just let the second NVR just sit, that's $75 per camera. Again, not high end cameras, but better than I expected from an inexpensive kit.

wackystuff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
can you do a live view/access the nvr using a pc browser? my neighbor bought the 2mp version and i'm going to help them install it. but i don't see any utilites at the wd website...

Reaction score
can you do a live view/access the nvr using a pc browser? my neighbor bought the 2mp version and i'm going to help them install it. but i don't see any utilites at the wd website...
You can plug in mouse and monitor directly for advanced setup but most stuff you can adjust directly in the mobile app.

Jporterz28

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes! You just point the browser to the IP address of the NVR and log in. You get all the controls of the UI of the unit itself, and maybe even more. The web interface just seems to work better even. If setting up for remote access, you'd need to setup through your router to do it.

Reaction score
When I open my WD Ready View System the other day I thought it was odd there was no protective film covering the lens. There was none on all of them so I thought that was how they where shipped. I installed three of the temporally to see how they work and for coverage. I had to take them down to clean up the temporary mess for company this weekend and I notice something different. On the Infrared Lens when I did the install I thought it was odd on one end of the design, but when I took down, I realized it was a protective film. I guess I had more light to see the protective film on the Infrared Light but there still is none covering the lens to the best of my knowledge.

Question, should there have been protective film cover the lens for shipment ???

Attachments

Reaction score
There is no protective film on the lens because they are wrapped in plastic when shipped. The IR light has film because if the IR refracts and is not sensed properly it will diminish the viewing distance.

I don't think you should be annoyed,upset or confused by the lens not being covered unless when you turn your cameras on HD there is some sort of viewing issue.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the lens may actually be glass while the IR window is a softer plastic.

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers above. I got a response from the WD Forum from another individual that his cameras came backed that way also, protective film on the lens only. BUT,:confused: "OnePositiveDude" has me confused, do I leave the protective film on the IR Lens or take it off ???

THANKS

wackystuff

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
well, found out that you can do live view and other stuff via pc browser..(you'll need to find out what ip address of the nvr in the network section)... bad thing is that it only works with internet explorer (and you'll need to install a plugin)..

cameras did not come with a film covering the lens but there was a protective film covering the IR part.. (i removed ).

i thought it was really odd that you can't save video clips to the pc hard drive.. the only way to save video clips is by connecting an external powered hard drive to the nvr.. quite annoying..(i guess WD wants users to buy their external hard drives? which is an unnecessary expense)

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers above. I got a response from the WD Forum from another individual that his cameras came backed that way also, protective film on the lens only. BUT,:confused: "OnePositiveDude" has me confused, do I leave the protective film on the IR Lens or take it off ???

THANKS
REMOVE THE FILM. This is to protect a plastic from being scratched. I was only saying your expectation of protection film over the glass is unwarranted. They are made of glass, they are protected in plastic bubble wrap and then shipped inside a foam box.

Reaction score
REMOVE THE FILM. This is to protect a plastic from being scratched. I was only saying your expectation of protection film over the glass is unwarranted. They are made of glass, they are protected in plastic bubble wrap and then shipped inside a foam box.
THANKS for the clarification, makes sense :smash:.

Reaction score
And if you thought I had a problem with removing the plastic film now I'm going to see if I can get a Amcrest IP2M=841 to recognize and record on my NVR. It reconizes it the IP camera but I get an error message. Don't remember exactly but it was something like this, binding IP camera already exits. Since I'm happy with my $159 2m Cameria system, I'm going to open the second packaged I purchased and just hook-up the Amcrest Camera by itself to the NVR.

Reaction score
And if you thought I had a problem with removing the plastic film now I'm going to see if I can get a Amcrest IP2M=841 to recognize and record on my NVR. It reconizes it the IP camera but I get an error message. Don't remember exactly but it was something like this, binding IP camera already exits. Since I'm happy with my $159 2m Cameria system, I'm going to open the second packaged I purchased and just hook-up the Amcrest Camera by itself to the NVR.
I attempted to get other branded cameras to work on the NVR but none of them worked. If you google around most people have the same issues and error messages. I just watched for a deal on the system and then purchased another whole system for a great price and used the 4 cameras to make my first one an 8 camera.

Reaction score
All of this can be very daunting for the faint of heart, me. I started with a Amcrest DB110 and “Amcrest Smart Home” App which seemed intuitive after a while. Then I purchased the WD Ready System and after fumbling around with “Amcrest Smart Home” the “WD ReadyView” App was a litter easy to handle. But connecting the NVR to my lap top was a PAIN. I.E.11 and not Edge and then getting the Driver to download, work and find the IP Address for the novice. Connecting to a TV/HDMI was easy but inconvenient. Settings appear more advance, particularity setting the sensitively for trigger events. Downloading videos as other mentioned to your PC is very disappointing. Along with when you do download a video via Smart Phone App then email to your self, video won't play unless you download/pay for another driver.

As other have mentioned I'm pretty sure the WD System is made/manufactured by uniview. So I downloaded some of their tools which work. Maintenance Tools—Zhejiang Uniview Technologies Co., Ltd.

Dwellonroof

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I purchased the 4k system and temporarily installed one camera on BI , it works!

Reaction score
SORRY Folks, don't ask me how but I successfully have a ONVIF Camera, Amcrest IP2M-841, hooked-up and running on my WD Ready View System's NVR. I was using my PC, I.E. 11, plugged directly to the NVR. I started with configuring the 2mb Amcrest, by turning off Wi-Fi using Amcrest.

Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result, well I believed I keep doing the same thing over and over again and it finally worked. Not sure if WD is going to continue and expand on it's surveillance system! If they are they need to start expanding on their directions and/or point to the vendor who manufactured these NVR for searching/googling the internet, i.e. Uniview(?).

Follow-Up: I found this youtube link on the web site which may aid others to adding cameras and navigating the NVR via direct connection via a Monitor, great directions. It definitely helped me getting and understanding the process of adding a ONVIF Camera and adding an additional WD Camera from my 2nd NVR System. Which by the way have the same IP Addresses but the NVR didn't recognize it. Still had to fumble around after I released my ONVIF Camera and Plugged into a different Port. But it reduced the number of times doing the same thing over and over again (insanity) and expecting it to work.