We would like to talk to you about your car's extended warranty.

Ckb3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So this was a new one for me. I had just left my house to run some errands and came back to find the note on my car. I haven't had a chance to see how many times they have passed or looked at the vehicle prior to this. The note said "Hi I would like to buy your car, if you interested in selling it please call me (insert phone number) - Maria or Osman thanks"

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
There is a huge shortage of vehicles. New and used car prices are insane. I am not surprised that people are going doing this.
I thought about selling my 2020 1500 Silverado I bought new last year so I could upgrade to a higher end model. But then I checked the prices. Holy shit. Nothing less than $55k at my local dealer. Even used was $50k+

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought about selling my 2020 1500 Silverado I bought new last year so I could upgrade to a higher end model. But then I checked the prices. Holy shit. Nothing less than $55k at my local dealer. Even used was $50k+
This is an awesome market if you want to sell a car you dont need to replace. Lots of folks made thousands selling the equity they had in leased vehicles rather than turning them in. In turn, some banks/leasing companies (NMAC-nissan) stopped allowing third party buyouts and will only sell to the lessee or to a Nissan dealership. Even then, it can still be profitable to buy the car, pay sales tax then flip it to carmax/carvanna/vroom/algo.
My friend, walked away from a 39month Jaguar lease after only 26 months by selling to carmax. The car had a reported accident and she still walked away with a 1600 positive equity check.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So this was a new one for me. I had just left my house to run some errands and came back to find the note on my car. I haven't had a chance to see how many times they have passed or looked at the vehicle prior to this. The note said "Hi I would like to buy your car, if you interested in selling it please call me (insert phone number) - Maria or Osman thanks"

wow .. used car flipping is now profitable enough to randomly drive around neighborhoods spamming cars.. used to only be people asking if you want to sell your house...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
wow .. used car flipping is now profitable enough to randomly drive around neighborhoods spamming cars.. used to only be people asking if you want to sell your house...
It's that bad around here for houses as well. There is very little on the market.

Ckb3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have no interest in calling the number but I'm guessing they live local. The neighborhood design has a shared alleyway between two streets and its unusual for people who don't live at a home attached to the alley to drive thru but none of my neighbors recognize them. Unfortunately, they may have noticed the jeep is parked and rarely moves. The housing market in my area is going crazy as well.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
It's that bad around here for houses as well. There is very little on the market.
You are correct. We had a vacant lot in St. George, Utah that we have had for 30 years and put it up for sale last month. The asking price was $250K. It did not last a day before it was sold. We are using that money to buy a house in the Tampa, Florida area and the bidding on the houses is insane. We finally landed one and the escrow closes around July 7. It is a sellers market.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Yea the housing market in bay area is insane as well. There are reports of houses now even going $1 million over the asking price.

Same here. A two story house around the corner just sold for $1.1 million. On Realtor.com our house is listed at $910K last time I checked. Just insane as to what is going on in the housing market in some parts of the country.

Reaction score
I always ask how much would it cost for my 74 Ford Pinto. String them along and piss them off.
If I am having a particularly nasty day, I will ask them if it covers such and such, like "if the thermistor wire is corroded, will it cover that"? or "if the return spring on the driver's side brake pad breaks, will it cover that? If so, how much will it pay". If they stay on long enough, they get the "if the flux capacitor stops fluxing, thereby becoming fluxomic, will it pay for a new one or do I need to agree to a rebuilt one?"