Web Interface with HDW5231R-ZE not working properly

saggybeans

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you have a known good spare camera, put it on that cable run to give you more info to work with.
Unfortunately I only have the one camera, it's my first one. Would be nice if I had another one to test and that would answer my question for good.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So I just plugged in an android box onto the 50 foot cable on the PoE switch and pinged it, 0% loss
Bingo. Have you done a hard camera reset yet? Remove power from camera, Press internal camera reset button and hold while reapplying power. Release reset button 10-15 seconds after applying power. You'll have to enter new user/pass and the ip will revert to factory settings.

Make sure no packing material or other debris is in the camera's ethernet connection cable end.

Did you upgrade the firmware on this camera, or is it still the shipped version?

Last edited:

saggybeans

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Bingo. Have you done a hard camera reset yet? Remove power from camera, Press internal camera reset button and hold while reapplying power. Release reset button 10-15 seconds after applying power. You'll have to enter new user/pass and the ip will revert to factory settings.

Did you upgrade the firmware on this camera, or is it still the shipped version?
I will try to do the reset as you suggested. I did press on the reset for 10 seconds while the camera was on before but I did not try the method where you hold the button as you apply the power. I did upgrade the firmware to the latest version V2.800.0000008.0.R.190619. I'll report back.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I will try to do the reset as you suggested. I did press on the reset for 10 seconds while the camera was on before but I did not try the method where you hold the button as you apply the power. I did upgrade the firmware to the latest version V2.800.0000008.0.R.190619. I'll report back.
If the problem still exists after the hard reset, you may need to downgrade the firmware back to the shipped version. In which case you'll need to do another hard reset after you reinstall the old firmware.

saggybeans

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If the problem still exists after the hard reset, you may need to downgrade the firmware back to the shipped version. In which case you'll need to do another hard reset after you reinstall the old firmware.
I tried to the hard reset and the problem still exists. I will load the shipped firmware V2.800.0000005.0.R.190325 and do the reset again. I'll report back.

saggybeans

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I loaded the shipped firmware V2.800.0000005.0.R.190325 and did the reset again, issue still persists. Still getting 34% loss with the 50' cable. I've spent so much time trying to figure out what the issue is but I honestly believe there is a hardware issue with the camera which is not something I will be able to fix. I will talk to Andy and get a replacement unit and hopefully it will fix the issue once and for all. Once that happens I will report back here to let you guys know.

Thank you all for your help, I truly appreciate it.

civic17

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When you did the hard reset did it revert all the camera settings back to default and asked you to setup a new password?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
As a test try placing the Poe switch closer to the cam. So 50ft cable -> Poe switch -> patch cable -> cam

It sounds like the driving end is unable to properly drive the cable at that length. I had something similar when I wired up my sons room. Used around 20m of cable and although this was just a data point some reported that it was rubbish. What would happen for me is initially it would be fine and then slowly get worse and worse. I like you did loads of testing and eventually worked out that it was the 3Com gigabit switch. It wasn’t able to drive/power the connections at that length. Replaced it with a Dell managed gigabit switch and everything has been fine since.

saggybeans

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When you did the hard reset did it revert all the camera settings back to default and asked you to setup a new password?
Yes it reset everything and I had to re-initialize the camera.

As a test try placing the Poe switch closer to the cam. So 50ft cable -> Poe switch -> patch cable -> cam

It sounds like the driving end is unable to properly drive the cable at that length. I had something similar when I wired up my sons room. Used around 20m of cable and although this was just a data point some reported that it was rubbish. What would happen for me is initially it would be fine and then slowly get worse and worse. I like you did loads of testing and eventually worked out that it was the 3Com gigabit switch. It wasn’t able to drive/power the connections at that length. Replaced it with a Dell managed gigabit switch and everything has been fine since.
Thanks, I definitely spent the time testing each individual component of my setup. I spoke with Andy and he said it could be the circuit board within the camera and he will test it once I send it back. I agree it’s either the circuit board as it’s unable to drive the information back to my switch or it may also be a soldering point on the board defective component or even the ethernet port on the camera itself as they’re not always made of the best materials.. These things can happen unfortunately. As another precaution I’ll be replacing the ends of my cat6 cable in the next few days with some higher quality cat6 connectors to help minimize interference. I’m fairly confident at this point that the issue will be resolved with the replacement camera. Once I test the new cam I’ll have to provide you guys with an update.

Last edited:

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes it reset everything and I had to re-initialize the camera.
Thanks, I definitely spent the time testing each individual component of my setup. I spoke with Andy and he said it could be the circuit board within the camera and he will test it once I send it back. I agree it’s either the circuit board as it’s unable to drive the information back to my switch or it may also be a soldering point on the board defective component or even the ethernet port on the camera itself as they’re not always made of the best materials.. These things can happen unfortunately. As another precaution I’ll be replacing the ends of my cat6 cable in the next few days with some higher quality cat6 connectors to help minimize interference. I’m fairly confident at this point that the issue will be resolved with the replacement camera. Once I test the new cam I’ll have to provide you guys with an update.
What happened with this?

saggybeans

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello All,

As promised, I'd like to give everyone an update. I received the replacement camera from Andy and I am extremely happy to say that it is now working 100%. I am now able to access the webUI with no issues, it loads nice and quick. I also conducted a ping test and I am now getting a 0% packet loss. I've now tested it for 24+ hours and it has been running great. I am very happy with this camera now and would recommend it to anyone. I'd like to thank everyone who was patient with me and helped me diagnose this problem. Since it was my first camera it was a bit overwhelming/frustrating trying to narrow down the issue since this system consisted of so many components that needed to be ruled out one by one. I'm thankful now that it is resolved and the camera is functioning correctly! Also a big thanks to Andy for his amazing customer service!