Weird data loss at exact time...

tsutton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an interesting issue and I am hoping you can help me...

I have 2 x DS-2CD2142FWD-IS cameras. At an EXACT time of 9:50am, there is a data loss from the cameras. It's not restored until 10:10am. That's 20 minutes of no data from the camera.

And to make it even more interesting, it's also happening at exact 9:50pm and not restored until 10:10pm.

At first, I thought it was my PoE switch that is causing this issue so I upgraded to a new switch and the issue still exists!

I am at a loss to why this is happening. My other camera, connected to this same PoE switch, but an Foscam - this does not display the same behaviour.

To narrow down this issue, my switch stats shows me there is an data spike before the loss.

loss.JPG

So... any ideas?! :D

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
There appears to be virtually no traffic passed by the camera(s).
Depending on the firmware version - on 5.4.5 and higher there is a 'network checker' process that counts packets over an interval and when there are none over the specified period (usually set to a few minutes) it resets the network hardware on the assumption it has frozen.
But that process does not operate over a 12 hour interval, unless there is something awry with it's count checking.

As a long shot - maybe try a ping -t (Windows) to generate some traffic over the time in question and see if that changes anything.

tsutton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have checked and the cameras are on the v5.5.0 build 170725 firmware. I am not sure if pinging will work because the Foscam camera plugged to the same PoE switch do not show this issue.

I'm running out of idea to find out the cause of this... and it's frustrating me. :D

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
the Foscam camera plugged to the same PoE switch do not show this issue.
The Foscam cameras do not have the Hikvision network checker process called 'network_deamon (sic)'

I did say it was a long shot - but it would be very simple to test. The ping generates traffic and keeps the counters going.
The 'network_deamon (sic)' process periodically shuts down the ethernet interface when there is no traffic. Though admittedly much more frequently than twice each day.

tsutton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I rebooted both cameras as a test and it's still doing it (but at different time, however still exact every 12 hours, with a gap of 20 minutes of no data)

I think I'll raise a support ticket with Hikvision and see what they say.

alastairstevenson - I am doing the ping -t now, it's due to happen in the next 2 hours time, will see what happens.

tsutton

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Right... the ping -t to the camera went through without a single drop at all.

Yet... there is still a 20 mins gap at the exact time.

Arghhhh! :)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm... What a strange problem.
I you feel it's worth the effort, connecting up to the serial console might provide a clue as to cause, if the part of the code that's responsible comments about the event.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Right... the ping -t to the camera went through without a single drop at all.

Yet... there is still a 20 mins gap at the exact time.

Arghhhh! :)
Just for kicks try setting one camera back an hour and see what time the problem surfaces.

Last edited: