Weird sighting after security system and camera installation

valleryk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A few days ago I hired a local contractor to install 8 cameras and a wired alarm system in my home. everything is working fine, however, the keypad in my teen daughters room has a small hole in the corner. the other keypads in the house do not have the hole. and they are the same model. DSC rfk5501.
my daughter noticed when its dark in the room a very dim red light is visible through the hole, My neighbor looked at it and opened the keypad and found a camera hot glued to the inside. he traced wires back to the recorder which is located in the basement and they are connected to the recorder. i can see all the cameras on the app but not the one found in keypad.
the installer had to invite me as a user on the app he said he needs to be main account holder since he owns the security company. is there any way he can block my phone from seeing the hidden camera? I did call him and ask about it. he stated that the keypad has a factory camera built in and can be used on the system, but this one is wired and not programmed.. i can not find any keypad online like this with a built in camera. I will call the police later today after i can get some more information. I also believe this installer may have taken a few thongs from my daughters room.she said 3 are missing. she also got a phone call from a guy asking what her panties look like. so I am pretty freaked out he can be watching her. any idea what else i can look for before i call the police? thank you!

Reaction score
A few days ago I hired a local contractor to install 8 cameras and a wired alarm system in my home. everything is working fine, however, the keypad in my teen daughters room has a small hole in the corner. the other keypads in the house do not have the hole. and they are the same model. DSC rfk5501.
my daughter noticed when its dark in the room a very dim red light is visible through the hole, My neighbor looked at it and opened the keypad and found a camera hot glued to the inside. he traced wires back to the recorder which is located in the basement and they are connected to the recorder. i can see all the cameras on the app but not the one found in keypad.
the installer had to invite me as a user on the app he said he needs to be main account holder since he owns the security company. is there any way he can block my phone from seeing the hidden camera? I did call him and ask about it. he stated that the keypad has a factory camera built in and can be used on the system, but this one is wired and not programmed.. i can not find any keypad online like this with a built in camera. I will call the police later today after i can get some more information. I also believe this installer may have taken a few thongs from my daughters room.she said 3 are missing. she also got a phone call from a guy asking what her panties look like. so I am pretty freaked out he can be watching her. any idea what else i can look for before i call the police? thank you!
It sounds like the installer modified the keypad and installed a hidden camera inside of it. That model keypad from DSC does not come with a camera built in. Usually the only alarm systems that have built in cameras are the All-In-One wireless units. The camera usually will interface with the alarm service so you can get a snapshot of who disarmed the system. It also sounds like the hidden camera was wired back to the NVR. Without knowing the model numbers it sounds like your installer has admin access to your NVR and has setup the camera in the keypad has a hidden camera so only he can view it on the recorder. Your installer can remotely view all of your cameras that he installed in the house. Can you post any pictures of the hidden camera and NVR?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
WOW - sounds like the pervert made his own spy cam.

And yes, if you are just a user on the app, he can block whichever cameras he doesn't want you to see.

This should serve as a warning to future readers that sometimes it is better to install yourself so you can control every aspect. Not every "professional" truly knows what they are doing, and many are perverts and has the ability to watch your video, whether they did a spy cam or not.

I would also make a claim to your credit card or whatever to dispute the charges. I would rip that stuff out right now. If you do not have the ability to control the username and password of your own system, it isn't worth having. For all you know the perp sells that video feed on the internet for all to see.

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I can tell that 100% that dsc makes no keypad with the model you provided with a camera built in. If you can connect a monitor to the nvr you should be able to see all cameras connected to the system. all you need is a tv with a hdmi cable and plug it into the nvr. you should see all the cameras connected. If you see the hidden camera than show police the screen and call a lawyer!!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But if his neighbor took apart the keypad and found the camera hotglued in, there is a strong likelihood that if the pervert saw that happening, he would have logged in and deleted that camera.

At the very least disconnect the NVR from the internet right now so that if he hasn't noticed yet, you can prevent him from deleting the camera off the NVR.

If it is gone off the NVR, he will claim he didn't install a spy cam and that was how he bought it.

And let's hope he isn't smart enough to delete the NVR logs and I would be looking through that to see when the admin account logged in and what they did.

But take that unit off the internet right now.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Put some tape over that hole in the remote! Call the police now, don't wait. They'll ask what they need to know. Your installer sounds like a real creep, maybe even related to Cuomo.
THIS!

And disconnect the ENTIRE SYSTEM. Power it down, all of it. You have a pervert spying on your daughter. If you have not called the police, you are way behind! It is possible (likely) that that camera is recording. If the installer figures out that you called the police, they will likely delete all of the evidence.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That keypad placement raises red flags at the get go. Why would anyone install an Alarm keypad in a Childs bedroom, camera or not. That's just odd.
Do you have proof it was the same guy that called your daughter. Caller ID, etc. Yeah, I know caller ID can easily be spoofed.

Always, ALWAYS thorughly check any contractors references before hiring them.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome @valleryk

"My neighbor looked at it and opened the keypad and found a camera hot glued to the inside"

Please share the pictures of this so we know what to look out for.

Thanks

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
That keypad placement raises red flags at the get go. Why would anyone install an Alarm keypad in a Childs bedroom, camera or not. That's just odd.
Not that unheard of. Larger homes may have motion detectors in the common spaces. Multiple pads in the bedrooms allow for things to be disarmed before they go walking around and set off the system. Also, it facilitates having a panic button in the bedrooms.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Sorry if I'm wrong, but this story seems a bit extravagant for someone who joined today and hasn't come back to comment. Seems a bit odd that a hidden camera was found in your daughter's bedroom and you came here to ask advice before calling the police, obviously knowing an illegal act took place.

Again, I may be wrong and maybe you will show us pictures. I hope I am right though, the thought of this happening is pretty disturbing.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ll just add a few points and thoughts as it pertains to this thread. I want to see pictures and model numbers. Next anyone can wire in a panic button it doesn’t have to be a complete keypad. As others noted some installation have a main keypad at the entrance.

A secondary keypad is normally installed at the master bedroom. Because why would anyone run toward danger while leaving the security of their bedroom?!?

Whether or not a keypad is installed in other rooms comes down to personal choice and needs. Some alarm systems are setup to be always armed / zoned. So if a partition is armed this would allow a person to exit and enter zones not active.

I would like to know how the OP selected this installer? Yellow Pages, weekly flyer, word of mouth?!?

Craigs List?

Kudos goes out to the child for even noticing and bringing this to the attention of the parent if this whole story is real.

I’m going to sit back and watch this gong show unfold!

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
A secondary keypad is normally installed at the master bedroom. Because why would anyone run toward danger while leaving the security of their bedroom?!?
Exactly! When there is only a keypad in only one bedroom in a dwelling with bedrooms on multiple floors. Other occupants would be required to possibly leave the security of their bedroom to get to the closest pad on another floor. Putting keypads in multiple bedrooms may not be the typical install, but it can be beneficial.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My neighbor looked at it and opened the keypad and found a camera hot glued to the inside.
No, that's no OEM...they don't hot-glue stuff to attach it.
she also got a phone call from a guy asking what her panties look like. . any idea what else i can look for before i call the police?
You're in FL, eh? I won't say what I'd like to say and I won't suggest it to you either...but if I were in your place, I'd have a surprise ready for numb-nuts should he drop by before LEO does when he discovers his peep hole taped over when he attempts to remotely view it. :angry:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Exactly! When there is only a keypad in only one bedroom in a dwelling with bedrooms on multiple floors. Other occupants would be required to possibly leave the security of their bedroom to get to the closest pad on another floor. Putting keypads in multiple bedrooms may not be the typical install, but it can be beneficial.
Yes, lots of installations where a partition is used and a dedicated keypad / scanner is needed to access and secure that area or room.

Think panic room, gun safe, wine cellar, whatever. My security room is completely a separate partition from the main security system.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry if I'm wrong, but this story seems a bit extravagant for someone who joined today and hasn't come back to comment. Seems a bit odd that a hidden camera was found in your daughter's bedroom and you came here to ask advice before calling the police, obviously knowing an illegal act took place.

Again, I may be wrong and maybe you will show us pictures. I hope I am right though, the thought of this happening is pretty disturbing.
I agree, I think everyone got hoodwinked from this guy. How did this perpetrator get his daughters phone # to ask about her panties? She counts her underwear?? Sure is easy to work everyone into a froth. As someone else said on this security cam forum, "if it is not on video, it did not happen".

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I agree, I think everyone got hoodwinked from this guy. How did this perpetrator get his daughters phone # to ask about her panties? She counts her underwear?? Sure is easy to work everyone into a froth. As someone else said on this security cam forum, "if it is not on video, it did not happen".
Yeah, I gotta feeling we won't be hearing from the OP any more about this whole deal. :wtf: