What are the Recommended Settings for the IPC-B5442-ZE Given the Attached Photo??

Rich.L

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

As I am new to all of this and there is so much information to read through, I am looking to get some straight forward recommendations on what my camera settings should be for a IPC-B5442-ZE given the attached image. There are a couple of street lights on all the time and most of us keep the front lights to our houses on all night long. My intent is to use BI to continuously record.

My neighbor to the immediate left in the picture has started leaving his flood light on (not sure why) and he has 2 Arlo cameras on that same corner which add additional light when triggered.

RichCam1.20200306_191332822.jpg

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
What matters most is how it looks with movement , its easy to get a good looking still image. Post a video clip with a person walking down ths sidewalk toward the camera.

Try Exposure 1/120 for starters, maybe 40 on DNR.. leave the rest alone.

I like 30FPS and 8192 bitrate as well, but thats just me. Many will tell you you dont need it that high.

Last edited:

Rich.L

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What matters most os how it looks with movement , its easy to get a good looking still image. Post a video clip with a person walking down ths sidewalk toward the camera.

Try Exposure 1/120 for starters, maybe 40 on DNR.. leave the rest alone.

I like 30FPS and 8192 bitrate as well, but thats just me. Many will tell you you dont need it that high.
Okay..I will get some videos recorded to post. It might be tomorrow. If I go outside now, I will end up drinking with my neighbors till 2 AM...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

As I am new to all of this and there is so much information to read through, I am looking to get some straight forward recommendations on what my camera settings should be for a IPC-B5442-ZE given the attached image. There are a couple of street lights on all the time and most of us keep the front lights to our houses on all night long. My intent is to use BI to continuously record.

My neighbor to the immediate left in the picture has started leaving his flood light on (not sure why) and he has 2 Arlo cameras on that same corner which add additional light when triggered.

RichView attachment 56873
Welcome @Rich.L

Test during the low light conditions.

Have a friend wear a hoodie and cap and act as a prowler.
Have them move
1) normal walk
2) fast walk
3) jog
4) run

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would agree with looney2ns, shift the camera to the right away from the light. Especially if that's your F-150 parked on the street. I'd rather see more of that and less of your neighbor's house. Try that out and let's see some night time stills and/or video. If the flood light is still a problem, I've had good success enabling BLC (backlight compensation) mode under backlight settings for both daytime and nighttime fine tuning. In your case, it would be for night time. I was setting up a turret camera the other day and the foreground was shadowed and the background was under direct sunlight and bright. Facial Images up close were poor. Enabling BLC balanced out the lighting for the entire field of view and facial images up close greatly improved. Same for when I tested a camera positioned towards our entry lights under night time mode. Enabling BLC is like waving a magic wand. I have the same IPC-B5442-ZE cam pointing down our driveway at max zoom in = 12mm. Not live yet, still in setup mode.

Last edited:

Rich.L

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay. I will look at adjusting the camera to get the floods out of view and get some nighttime video and pictures.

Rich.L

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I adjusted the camera to move the floodlight and the 2 cameras with lights on them out of the field of view. I will try and get some videos tonight in color and black and white.

How should I use the "Profile Management" tab?
Do you guys generally set your Profile to "Day/Night" or leave it on another setting?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Personally I use “Schedule” so that I can be more certain of when profiles change where I’m keeping the camera in color mode. When I allow a camera to go to B&W IR I usually use day/night and let the camera decide

8urt0

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just noticed this recently with 5442 I set up day night only to find I couldn’t set the night to forced colour (that I want) so schedule seems the only option moving forward.

Reaction score
What is the purpose of this camera position? Right now it is an overview camera that will rarely capture a face for ID of anyone on the sidewalk. Zooming the camera in more might help.

Rich.L

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Much better now that the neighbors lights aren't shining into your camera.
You can still see the lights from my neighbors cameras that are set to trigger on motion and sound.

Rich.L

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is the purpose of this camera position? Right now it is an overview camera that will rarely capture a face for ID of anyone on the sidewalk. Zooming the camera in more might help.
This is going to be 1 of 12 cameras around the house. Most will be mounted higher than the recommended height for identification. It was a balance on what the wife and I were willing to live with regarding camera placement. There is a good chance as I get the other cameras installed that this camera would be pointed down more.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Okay...managed to grab this video.

I have not adjusted any settings on my camera since getting it and I have not adjusted anything in Blue Iris either.
It looks like this camera is setup to look at someone else's property. I assume the cable/telco pedestal is the property line. Should you not be trying to cover at least some of your own property?

Rich.L

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It looks like this camera is setup to look at someone else's property. I assume the cable/telco pedestal is the property line. Should you not be trying to cover at least some of your own property?
As mentioned above, I will probably be pointing the camera down at some point in the near future.

My primary concern is trying to learn about the camera and figure out recommended settings.