what cctv system in the UK

GT60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
HI

I know this may have been asked a trillion times and I am unsure where to look sorry

I am after advice on a two or four camera system that has motion detection and good night vison and good quality images both day and night with auto record and may be able to access on my phone or the internet.

The price below £300 for everything needed to plug and play if possible please

I will fit myself or get someone to fit it

Thanks

copex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you will have to look at HD-TVI (analogue cameras) to match your budget, for IP you will be looking at £80 to £150 for cameras and £100 to £250 for a NVR depending on brand you can reduce this cost by ordering direct from china but you run the risk of custom charges.

i would recommend hikvison but others would recommend Dahua

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You are not going to find anything in your price range that is likely to catch anybody in the act with a good enough picture to ID a face. Especially at night!
And you shouldn't rely on motion detection you should be recording 24/7 and set active areas to alert you when there is motion detected i.e highlight a small area of a door way to alert if there is activity for example (more examples available)
The problem with MD is after 1000+ of false alerts for light changes, shadows, leafs etc you will learn to ignore your alerts and miss something important.

2 x Dahua IP Cameras = Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) £300
1 x Dahua NVR = NVR - Network Video Recorder £200
1 x 3TB WD Purple Hard Drive = WD Purple | Western Digital (WD) £140
1 Length of RJ45 Cable £30 - £50 (Plus RJ45 Connectors)

Just a little help...

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you are looking for a lower hassle option you could consider the netgear arlo. battery powered so easy to install.
on offer at amazon for £350 for 3 cameras with base station
Arlo Smart Home - 3 HD Security Camera Kit, 100% Wire-Free, Indoor/Outdoor with Night Vision by NETGEAR (VMS3330-100EUS): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
if you look at 2:03 the night vision on these are not going to catch much! For me these sort of cameras are indoor use (baby / cat monitors) trust me the Dahua Starlight range of in a different world. I usse to be all Hikvision but @nayr has brought us all an amazing camera... Again big respect to him!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are looking for a lower hassle option you could consider the netgear arlo. battery powered so easy to install.
on offer at amazon for £350 for 3 cameras with base station
Arlo Smart Home - 3 HD Security Camera Kit, 100% Wire-Free, Indoor/Outdoor with Night Vision by NETGEAR (VMS3330-100EUS): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
Just had 3 sets of suspects walk right through the detection zone of an Arlo camera and the camera detected motion and by the time it was recording it caught NOTHING.

It's an absolute toy... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
looks like you should out arlo. go for the dahua starlights.
You know the old saying "buy cheap - buy twice"

GT60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your replies.
I wasn't expecting to pay so much
I will be putting up a light
It has been suggested that I look at maplin.co.uk
Never buy cheap I agree davw

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
maplin is generally best avoided.
If you have decent light outside there are cheap kits available on amazon. They are not going to be as good as the Dahua setup but maybe a deterrent.
My mate has this Technomate 2 MP 1080p IP POE 4CH Indoor: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics and he is perfectly happy with it. As its from Amazon - you can get same day delivery and send it back if you dont like it.

GT60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have already got a flouren H264 system set up but the alarm goes off all the time so we have binned it
the cameras are still up though, we never got to see how good / bad it was.
It was on the house when I bought it
I have been warned about cheap Chinese rubbish so wary about everything now
thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have already got a flouren H264 system set up but the alarm goes off all the time ...
What I have been learning here regarding: false positives, motion detection...

So it seems that motion detection does not really work well from what I have read here.

Better cameras and security camera systems can help out, and this is probably worth the extra $ for nicer cameras. ( vs the super cheap ones )

Dahua cameras can have something they call IVS ( Intelligent Video System ) - the camera's firmware ( software ) and the camera's processing power give it the ability to do things like: "Trip-wire" and "Intrusion Detection" .. ( Hikvision is calling their IVS features "Smart Solution" )
Dahua IVS Technology Now Standard

Checkout @aristobrat 's post with regards to IVS, looks like he is able to tune it to get a 95% successful marking of events worth investigating:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I'll be spending some more time learning about it as I get my equipment in.