What dash cam are you using?

Discussion in 'Dash Cams' started by Jonwire, May 31, 2016.

Share This Page

1. Probird79

Probird79 Getting the hang of it

No, V2.1. I'm not sure if that is the beta firmware but just relabeled if it passed testing. I never tried out the beta so I can't speak on that.

What are the quality issues you speak of?

2. Arjun

Arjun Pulling my weight

Ah, that's beta
    I'm going try it and update my feedback

My 119s had focus issues --- a replacement made the image quality a tad better

3. Probird79

Do you have V1 or V2? Both of mine are V1. I need to warranty replace for V2 due to the GPS connection issue.

4. Arjun

Arjun Pulling my weight

I have the V2, GPS unit is tight and snug

5. CCTVCam

CCTVCam Getting the hang of it

Viofo WR1

Hate GPS and Speed recording preferring just a pure camera.

6. Firefighter

Firefighter n3wb

I went through a few G1W's and versions over the last 5 years and recently picked up a Anker Roav Dash Cam C1 and I like it.
    The Lock feature records 15 sec before pressing it and 15 seconds after so I don't have to lock the entire file. Which I personally like.

I'd like to upgrade to a dual dash cam at some point.

7. CCTVCam

Just some advice, the quality of dual cams is usually much lower than single cam.

If you want dual cams,the best way is to buy 2 separate cams, or 1 more and transfer your existing cam to the back. It usually works out cheaper as well.

Firefighter likes this.
  8. fajardoj36

fajardoj36 n3wb

Is there a preferred sd card to use on these types of dash cams? Ive been looking at this model for a bit but cant decide if its that much better than the a118, thanks.

9. Probird79

10. LiveTrash

LiveTrash n3wb

I'm currently running with the Blackvue DR750S 2-CH. Great camera. Expensive, but has quite an extensive list of features, hot and cold weather operation, durability and sleek/discreet looks.

11. fajardoj36

fajardoj36 n3wb

Wrong thread

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  12. LiveTrash

LiveTrash n3wb

Are you going to be setting up a parking mode for it or only use it when the vehicle is on?

13. GFM

GFM Young grasshopper

I have the 650 dual channel, with the power magic controller. It is on all the time, 24/7. Don't think we've ever turned it off. The controller will shut down the camera though if the battery voltage drops below a determined level you can set. With a good car battery it stays in "parking mode" about a minute after the vehicle stops, and starts up again as soon as it detects movement. We really don't think about it unless something interesting happens and we want to view the video. :)

14. Arjun

Arjun Pulling my weight

Always good to have a portable car jumper just in case you decide to leave the dash cam running 24/7
    If you drive everyday, wouldn't be much of a problem, putting battery performance and life expectancy aside, lol
    ;)

15. GFM

GFM Young grasshopper

Still original battery in the 2008 FJ Cruizer here. It does almost drive every day though, but sometimes it will sit at the airport parking lot for a couple of weeks at -20 when we are away (parking lot attendees plug in the block heater a few hours before our flight arrives). It starts fine. This is a reminder though, after 10 years I really SHOULD replace the battery!
    But saying that, it does have the controller, which is always powered up. It does shut down the camera if battery voltage drops to a pre-determined value. Without the controller it would kill the battery after a few days I would expect.

Arjun likes this.
  16. nbstl68

nbstl68 Pulling my weight

I checked out the 650 BlackVue on their site. Looks like they have an improved 750S version that uses 2 Sony Starvis sensors now which would be nice but they are up to$400-$500 to get into it. I'd like one like this w dual cameras and good reliability but with a remote DVR I could bury somewhere in the dash in case the camera was stolen. Or at this price range, I'd want it to have a quick detach so I could just
    take it with me.

Arjun likes this.
  17. Arjun

Arjun Pulling my weight

The A119 and A119S have been complementing each other as front and rear cameras quite well. Image quality doesn't disappoint and gets all the firmware update support it needs and uses best in line image sensors.

18. Firefighter

Firefighter n3wb

Yeah it's the thing I hate about dual cam systems. Gotta really pay to get a good one.
    Oh well, I'll stick with the front facing ones.

19. CCTVCam

A front facing cam is a rear facing cam if you mount on the back. Same difference.

The trouble with 2 cams and 1 recorder is the data rate. Whereas with a dual system with 2 cams and shared recording / processing chips, the power of these can restrict quality. If you fit 2 separate cams, then each has it's own supporting hardware and you guarantee yourself the performance of each separate camera. Plus another advantage, if one fails, you only have to replace one, not a dual system which generally costs twice as much as a similar single unit.

You can also tailor units to your needs. eg 2 x A119S's or an A119S upfront or an Opia 2, and a Mobius or WR1 rear, (very small cams) for a more discreet view, or any other combination of any manufacturers models or units. The choice really is yours if you use separate units.

20. patrocle

patrocle Getting the hang of it

DavidDavid likes this.
  21. Neftci

Neftci n3wb

I have the same Wheel Witness HD Pro one as @patrocle. I am also satisfied with it. Great for catching opportunities like this when driving around the countryside. IMG_2634.JPG

22. patrocle

Is that in UK? Looking at the car plate.

23. RicRat2009

RicRat2009 Getting the hang of it

Picked up the Gitup Git2p, comes with assortment of mounts and a waterproof case. Can use all GoPro accessories. Has image stabilization, auto start, and shock sensors.
    Can never leave something like this in your vehicle, they will smash and grab a suction mount, much less a camera around here.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRTW3PS/ref=psdc_7161074011_t1_B017DZ2KE8

Used Garmin Virb Edit to add speed, mileage, and GPS.

24. Neftci

Neftci n3wb

No it's in one of the former Soviet Union Republics. It's a Russian Lada and they are used for everything.

patrocle and CCTVCam like this.
  25. CCTVCam

No this is what a UK Number Plate looks like and what the coding on it means, although the area code is somewhat redundant these days as cars are transferred between dealerships countrywide before being sold / re-sold:

[​IMG]

patrocle likes this.
  26. patrocle

Thanks to both for explaining...

CCTVCam likes this.
  27. CCTVCam

No problem. I wouldn't have a clue about the US system.