What dash cam are you using?

Hawko777

n3wb
Reaction score
I owned blackvue a while back nice features, for that much money I expected much better night vision.
I think the night vision is good, but then I use a polarized lens cover back and front to get rid of the glare off the windows, reflections etc. Much better.
The computer app is great too, you can plug in your SD card and it shows where you have been on a map, your speed, latitude and longitude, and so much more.
Parking mode is one of the best features too.

DigitalPackrat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That Blackvue looks sweet. With something that fancy you'd almost expect it to have an autodump feature for when it senses connection to your home network. That's the "must have" feature I'm looking for. Daily video sync to my home server.
The Blackvue DR650 has a cloud feature now so it can connect automatically to your home network. It's designed for cloud usage which sucks but with a bit of work you can pull all files via a http connection to the camera and dump them to your server.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep, it seems like with that feature set that it is alllllmost there. I suppose a fella could detect the "Honey, I'm Home!" connection from a computer and see if all new files could be transferred over. I wonder if some home cloud server could autodetect and clone it as a shared directory, or hook it into backup software and treat the video files like newly detected files on a thumbdrive?

DigitalPackrat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's what I am working on, just got the base script working yesterday to copy files manually. Basically there is a web server builtin to the DR650. There are just a few pages, one for live view at a really low resolution and one page that lists all files. I am using a script to output the file list then download all the files listed. I still need to work on checking existing files and skipping if complete, monitoring ICMP to trigger the script periotically, max retention time and a few other things.

Am using information I got here for a basis. It's meant for direct wifi connection but with the cloud access enabled it will connect to an access point automatically and just needs a fixed IP handed out by the DHCP servers.

pschmehl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just bought and installed a DDpai M6+. This is my first dash cam. It has a battery, so I hardwired it to IGN. So it's only on when the car is running. (I'm retired, so I don't need to record endless hours of my car parked in the driveway.) It has excellent picture quality including night video and excellent audio. Bought it on eBay for $110.

Here's some night video:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I think one of the key attributes and differentiators is the ability to see enough detail that registration plates of oncoming vehicles can be clearly identified.
It's optimistic to be able to achieve that in low light or at night with headlights, but should be possible during daylight.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
@DigitalPackrat If you get it working and care to share I bet a number of forum members would be interested.

Last edited by a moderator:

glsmall

n3wb
Reaction score
The Blackvue is popular in Australia. Capacitor based and if it will survive an Australian Summer it will survive a Texas one.
I'm in the Houston,TX area. I bought a Blackvue in July of 2014 and it bit the dust a couple months ago, so about two years (I'd guess it was the heat). I went to a Garmin nuviCam and the camera flakes out if the outside temp goes over 90 degrees.:sick: Haven't decided what's next yet but I do know I can't trust the Garmin.

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
I use Mobius but i would not touch an amazon version, from everything i have read its where you can find plenty of knock off Mobius versions, if you want the original from the manufacture there are actual official distributors or the manufacture sells on ebay

More info
https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/

ebay

the image and audio from one these is fantastic and pretty much unrivaled, if you want speed and gps on the display look elsewhere, for me non of that is important, if your in an accident and its not your fault the video is all that is needed... if its your fault.... what camera !!

i have used mine on my Motorbike, push bike, car, handheld they even fit quite nicely under the peak of a baseball cap

and they even fit nicely onto guns for the Elmer Fuds amongst us

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

XtremeAaron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I agree. Very few people need all the extra features. My wife has the a118c and wants me to replace it with the Mobius.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just bought and installed a DDpai M6+. This is my first dash cam. It has a battery, so I hardwired it to IGN. So it's only on when the car is running. (I'm retired, so I don't need to record endless hours of my car parked in the driveway.) It has excellent picture quality including night video and excellent audio. Bought it on eBay for $110.

Here's some night video:
What sd card are you using? I have the same camera, very happy with all aspects except.... It wont overwrite when the card is full. Tried 2 different cards and no change. Annoying! Contacted the manufacturer in China and all I can say is they are zero help. Rather not be buying card afted card.

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
Looks like the new Mobius 2 now has 1080 @60fps, not bad for a dash cam

Specifications:
Angle of View:FOV 130°(Diagonally: 165°) Super wide angle.
Video: 1080P 60fps, 1080P 30fps, 720P 120fps, 720P 60fps, 720P 30fps
H.265 HEVC and H.264 AVC, MP4
Photo: 1920*1080; 1280*720
Time Lapse photo supported. JPEG
Mode switches: Video Mode 1, Video Mode 2, Photo Mode, you can customize each mode to suit your application.
TV out: PAL/NTSC
Interface:Mini 10Pin USB(USB2.0)
Memory: support Micro-SD memory card. Suggest Class 10 or above. Cards up to 200GB supported.
LED indicator light: Red, Yellow, Blue, Green
Internal lipo battery: 820mah. it can record over 120 minutes of 1080p 60fps Full HD videos
Power Input: standard USB DC5V, with over voltage protection (5.6V-25V)
Outer Dimensions: approx 64mm(L)*36.5mm(W)*18mm(H)
Net weight: approx 45 grams only, with battery included!

https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/packages/dashcam-packages/