What do you think of this equipment an installer is selling me?

jayleoness

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So i know this is a hikvision forum but figured I'd update this. So after looking into all the comments here and talking with andy I think im going with

3x IPC-T5442TM-AS (4 mp starlight 2.8mm turrents) for outdoors
1x IPC-HDBW4231F-AS Starlight 2.8mm for indoors (i dropped the wifi requirement and am hoping installer can run the line as he said he wasnt positive.) link

will be purchasing one fo these two POE switch (any one stand out as a better buy?)
Zyxel
BV tech

Also convinced me to go the blue iris route so ill grab one of the recommend optiplexs and run blueiris.

cost of the cameras from andy i believe is 589.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have BV tech switches I have had no problems with them BUT a number of forum members have reported failures with them. Take a look at Netgear GS108PP or GS108LP

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So i know this is a hikvision forum but figured I'd update this. So after looking into all the comments here and talking with andy I think im going with

3x IPC-T5442TM-AS (4 mp starlight 2.8mm turrents) for outdoors
1x IPC-HDBW4231F-AS Starlight 2.8mm for indoors (i dropped the wifi requirement and am hoping installer can run the line as he said he wasnt positive.) link

will be purchasing one fo these two POE switch (any one stand out as a better buy?)
Zyxel
BV tech

Also convinced me to go the blue iris route so ill grab one of the recommend optiplexs and run blueiris.

cost of the cameras from andy i believe is 589.
I bought the zyxel. good price and product. working great.

jayleoness

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
its a great camera. you still need to setup the ip addressers user pass etc in blue iris after first logging in and setting up the cam.
How do I find each cameras IP address? I watched tutorial on once cams are plugged in how to add each cam in blue iris. Seems easy but not sure how to get each cams ip address and user/pass.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How do I find each cameras IP address? I watched tutorial on once cams are plugged in how to add each cam in blue iris. Seems easy but not sure how to get each cams ip address and user/pass.
Type in 192.168.1.108 in your browser.

You have to plug one in at a time. Then change IP and create Password.

jayleoness

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Type in 192.168.1.108 in your browser.

You have to plug one in at a time. Then change IP and create Password.
Nothing comes up when I type that in. However when I type in 192.168.1.1 it takes me to my router log in. Is this where I need to go to change the ip of the cam? I need to find my router un and pw lol

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nothing comes up when I type that in. However when I type in 192.168.1.1 it takes me to my router log in. Is this where I need to go to change the ip of the cam? I need to find my router un and pw lol
how is it all setup? is camera powering on at all - ir showing, creating heat?

Reset your computer too. I am not sure but it should all pop-up once plugged in.

Try this:
ConfigTool - Dahua Wiki

if all working it will show up.

sorry.... you have a hikvision not dahua? I didn't realize I was in the hikivision forum.

from what i could find on hikvision:
The network camera is set with thefactorydefault IP address of“192.0.0.64”, the port of“8000”, the super user name of“admin”andthe password of“12345”.

Last edited:

jayleoness

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No I have the Dahua 5442 I believe. 4mp starlight turret. I plug it into the Ethernet but I don’t see anything light up on the camera. The Ethernet works when I plug into my laptop. Is there an on switch or something? I can’t find one... these just arrived from andy

Reaction score
Connect one camera to the POE switch at a time. The default IP will be 192.168.1.108 and will need to be changed. In the Dahua config tool you will initialize the camera by clicking on the box to the left of the camera and clicking Initialize at the bottom left of the tool. Once initialized, select modify IP and give it a unique IP address. Then connect the next camera and repeat. The reason that you cannot connect all of the cameras at the same time is that they will all have the same IP address, the default.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No I have the Dahua 5442 I believe. 4mp starlight turret. I plug it into the Ethernet but I don’t see anything light up on the camera. The Ethernet works when I plug into my laptop. Is there an on switch or something? I can’t find one... these just arrived from andy
you need a switch to power the camera.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LH8R3FH

Reaction score
They need power. You must use the POE switch.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They need power. You must use the POE switch.
It does seem this part was missed.

Simple run down since we know you have dahua.

-plug 1 wire from NIC to switch
-plug 1 wire from switch to camera
-then one at a time plug in cams to setup IP/password - type this into browser: 192.168.1.108
go to setting tab -> then go to network on left side menu -> then go to TCP/IP

And if you are using DUAL NIC to keep cams off internet:
Dual NIC setup on your Blue Iris Machine

You do not really need configtool

jayleoness

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It does seem this part was missed.

Simple run down since we know you have dahua.

-plug 1 wire from NIC to switch
-plug 1 wire from switch to camera
-then one at a time plug in cams to setup IP/password - type this into browser: 192.168.1.108
go to setting tab -> then go to network on left side menu -> then go to TCP/IP

And if you are using DUAL NIC to keep cams off internet:

You do not really need configtool
What is NIC? I would like to do that and keep the cams off the net however I’m starting from 0 knowledge here heh. I’m just testing out the Blue iris demo and plugging 1 camera in to see if blue iris will be easy for me to learn/setup vs going with nvr. So far no issues other then forgetting the Poe switch part lol

So I’m at the tcp/ip menu after plugging in my 1 cam and going to 192.168.1.108

Do I just change the up address box to whatever I want? It currently reads 192.168.1.108.

And am I guessing right that it I change it to say 192.168.1.227. That if I type that address into the url bar it will take me to the menu/login page for that specific camera?

jayleoness

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I did manage to change the ip and add the cam into blue iris. Pretty easy even for someone like me with not a ton of technical knowledge. So now that I got the camera in blue iris I will look into how to remotely watch from my iPhone, setup motion detection boxes and how to get alerts when said motion detection boxes get triggered

Reaction score
What is NIC?
NIC: Network Interface Card. This is the connection on your PC that the ethernet cable plugs into. Most PCs have one as part of the motherboard. Some come with two. If you do not have two, you can buy a separate card and place it into a PCI slot. I used an Intel EXPI9301CTBLK from Newegg for $31.40.

Basically, you want your POE switch only connected to your PC and cameras. Make the IP address on a different subnet. Example: If your normal IP addresses are like 192.168.1.xxx, Then you could make this camera/BI computer subnet something like 192.168.2.xxx.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
NIC: Network Interface Card. This is the connection on your PC that the ethernet cable plugs into. Most PCs have one as part of the motherboard. Some come with two. If you do not have two, you can buy a separate card and place it into a PCI slot. I used an Intel EXPI9301CTBLK from Newegg for $31.40.

Basically, you want your POE switch only connected to your PC and cameras. Make the IP address on a different subnet. Example: If your normal IP addresses are like 192.168.1.xxx, Then you could make this camera/BI computer subnet something like 192.168.2.xxx.
@jayleoness Yes this is correct here.

You will use Blue Iris to connect to your network/outside. This way no way to talk to internet without blue iris.

I am using this as my second NIC:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007MWYCG2/

This DIY makes it clear and easy to setup a dual NIC:

Your main network would be whatever you want. If you go to router you can change the .1's in 192.168.1.1 to .50 for example etc. This can help:
Router Security - Subnets and IP addresses
Protecting Home Networks: Start by Securing the Router - Security News - Trend Micro USA

----
reason:
Within a given subnet, routers are usually assigned the number 1. There is no technical requirement for this, it's just a custom. Thus, on the 192.168.1.x subnet, the router will almost always be assigned 192.168.1.1. Likewise, on the 192.168.200.x subnet, the router is likely to be 192.168.200.1.

Here too, this custom makes it easier for malware to find the router, so you are a bit safer if your router is not the number 1 device.

For example, in September 2018, malware was found targeting routers on 7 different subnets, but in each case it assumed the router's IP address ended in

· Do not use IP addresses ending in “.1,” “.100,” or “.254” on your home router. Use random numbers instead.
----

What router do you have? I suggest an asus router so you can easily setup openvpn and make a more secure connection from camera to phone.

jayleoness

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ah thank you for all the info and links. I will likely come back to this with more questions when it comes time. I do have an asus router though. Not sure which model.

At the moment I’m waiting on the installer and also looking for the right dedicated pc. Need to research recommended hardware specs for my 4 cam workload.

@jayleoness Yes this is correct here.

You will use Blue Iris to connect to your network/outside. This way no way to talk to internet without blue iris.

I am using this as my second NIC:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007MWYCG2/

This DIY makes it clear and easy to setup a dual NIC:

Your main network would be whatever you want. If you go to router you can change the .1's in 192.168.1.1 to .50 for example etc. This can help:
Router Security - Subnets and IP addresses
Protecting Home Networks: Start by Securing the Router - Security News - Trend Micro USA

----
reason:
Within a given subnet, routers are usually assigned the number 1. There is no technical requirement for this, it's just a custom. Thus, on the 192.168.1.x subnet, the router will almost always be assigned 192.168.1.1. Likewise, on the 192.168.200.x subnet, the router is likely to be 192.168.200.1.

Here too, this custom makes it easier for malware to find the router, so you are a bit safer if your router is not the number 1 device.

For example, in September 2018, malware was found targeting routers on 7 different subnets, but in each case it assumed the router's IP address ended in

· Do not use IP addresses ending in “.1,” “.100,” or “.254” on your home router. Use random numbers instead.
----

What router do you have? I suggest an asus router so you can easily setup openvpn and make a more secure connection from camera to phone.
excellent