What do you think? Personal pulls all the way into my driveway!!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem with that is I'd get a push everytime my girl came home in the middle of the day. This quickly would turn into spam much like my Sentry emails. Seems no matter how good one can tune the alerts they eventually turn to spam. I've been super busy at work and I'm not really supposed to be checking my phone/personal email from work.
If emails go to spam, mark them as not spam or use push notifications. Both of you could disable notifications when you come home just like you would an alarm system. It takes 5 seconds or you can use geofencing.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If emails go to spam, mark them as not spam or use push notifications. Both of you could disable notifications when you come home just like you would an alarm system. It takes 5 seconds or you can use geofencing.
Oh, I didn't literally mean the spam folder. I guess I like the idea of having the notifications because I want to be alerted anytime anything happens (anytime a human is in view) but I end up ignoring the alerts because I get busy. I may need to try push notifications for certain events though. That sounds like it would be a good idea to differenciate them from all of my other alerts. Do you know if Sentry works correctly with Zones and hotspots? Like if I mask off the street to not be inside of the zone (perhaps on a clone) would I not get alerted if someone walked by in the street. I've been meaning to try this I've just been too busy lately.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, I didn't literally mean the spam folder. I guess I like the idea of having the notifications because I want to be alerted anytime anything happens (anytime a human is in view) but I end up ignoring the alerts because I get busy. I may need to try push notifications for certain events though. That sounds like it would be a good idea to differenciate them from all of my other alerts. Do you know if Sentry works correctly with Zones and hotspots? Like if I mask off the street to not be inside of the zone (perhaps on a clone) would I not get alerted if someone walked by in the street. I've been meaning to try this I've just been too busy lately.
Yes, sentry will only react if it a blue iris camera is triggered so if you mask the area out so its not triggered you will not get alerted. Furthermore, though I have not tested this myself, you should not have to create a clone. In the camera alerts tab, uncheck the zones that control the street, this way you are never alerted for those zones but they will record. Then sentry will filter the alerts for the zones that you are interested in.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, sentry will only react if it a blue iris camera is triggered so if you mask the area out so its not triggered you will not get alerted. Furthermore, though I have not tested this myself, you should not have to create a clone. In the camera alerts tab, uncheck the zones that control the street, this way you are never alerted for those zones but they will record. Then sentry will filter the alerts for the zones that you are interested in.
Well I think part of the problem with the "spam" alerts is me. Probably even the whole problem! I figured I want as many email alerts as possible if something were to happen. Let's say someone walked in and broke into the house and stole all my equipment. I know unlikely scenario but still. The emails would be the only proof I have left should someone steal my BI Server and my cameras. I was thinking the original camera to alert on the entire zone and send off emails any time a human is detected and the clone to send push notifications only when a human was detected in a certain region. Or maybe have the emails have slightly different subjects so that I can set a mail rule to make the ones coming in from the original camera marked as read immediately.

I'll just have to tinker and see what I like best. I think Fear Of Missing Out sometimes gets the best of me and makes me over complicate these things.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hmm it sounds like the update released today (5.2.1.0 Assign sources and zones to action set actions) allows you tie specific zones to specific actions. So looks like this would also help accomplish what I am trying to do. For now I have just masked off the street in my cameras. Have to think on this one for a little bit.

Reaction score
I'm actually a felon myself lol. I have a drug charge from when I was 19 (state jail felony).
It is possible to have this charge commuted (not sure of the proper term). Since you were a teenager, and if it was some time ago, you might be able to have it 'removed' and your rights restored. A friend of mine did that successfully. He had several drug charges as a teen, maybe even early 20's. Possession, intent to distribute, etc. I think about ten years later, he went to court to have his rights restored and it was granted provided he stayed out of trouble for a year from the court date. He ended up getting his FFL and did firearm mods, sales, transfers, manufacturing, and has a few suppressors with tax stamps granted by the BATF.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That's called an expungement when a record is removed. Generally speaking, you can do it yourself, paperwork is usually available online and can be downloaded but have lots of paper in your printer. The whole process, here in NJ, takes about a year from start to finish. Start means when the paperwork hits the appropriate State office.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is possible to have this charge commuted (not sure of the proper term). Since you were a teenager, and if it was some time ago, you might be able to have it 'removed' and your rights restored. A friend of mine did that successfully. He had several drug charges as a teen, maybe even early 20's. Possession, intent to distribute, etc. I think about ten years later, he went to court to have his rights restored and it was granted provided he stayed out of trouble for a year from the court date. He ended up getting his FFL and did firearm mods, sales, transfers, manufacturing, and has a few suppressors with tax stamps granted by the BATF.
Expungement is not an option for a state jail felony in my state, or something like that. I've looked to up over and over and the only way my rights can be restored is with a pardon. So highly unlikely.