What % of CPU Blue Iris server usage becomes a concern?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In the past I was using a external drive. I would recommend that you use an Internal drive for the BI new folder, and the external drive for the BI stored folder. The new folder has the files written a few blocks at a time and the drive head is moving all over the place. On the stored folder the complete video file is written in one complete write. If you can use a USB3 drive. I used a usb3 drive cradle (chassis dock) with a WD purple drive. Also keep the video files small, 1 GB or 1 Hour of recording.

KB41786

n3wb
Reaction score
KB41786

Thanks a lot Southern Yankee. I appreciate the detail.
I have answered your questions below.

1) Provide a screen shots system status cameras
SEE HERE:
Status - Cameras.jpg

2) Provide a screen shots system status clips storage
SEE HERE:
Status - Clip Storage.jpg
3) did you do a clean install of windows 10
ANSWER: No, I did not do a clean install of Windows 10 on the latest BI5 install. I did do a clean install before, but not on the most recent install. However, the problem is the same as on the prior OS install. Nothing appears to have changed; the 100% processor usage persists.
4) did you migrate the cameras settings for BI 4 to BI 5 ? how did you do that.
ANSWER: No migration.
5) are you recording continuously direct to disk ?
ANSWER: No, but I would very much like to record continuously to a NAS. I have it set to only record upon movement trigger.
6) are your recording direct to disk ?
ANSWER: It was set to re-encode, but I changed it to direct-to-disk 3 weeks ago after your message. Nothing appears to have changed; the 100% processor usage persists. Being a novice, I assume that direct-to-disk is less processor intensive. Is this correct?
7) are all your disk drives internal ?
ANSWER: one internal disk drive, an SSD.
8) what version of BI ?
ANSWER: I just upgraded to the newest available (5.0.7.3) today. Nothing appears to have changed; the 100% processor usage persists..
9) what version of windows ?
ANSWER: Win10 Pro, up-to-date (1909)
10) are you using a virus scanner ? Have you removed the BI video folders from the virus scanner ?
ANSWER: Windows Defender only. BI video and clips folders excepted from the scanning after your message 3 weeks ago. Nothing appears to have changed; the 100% processor usage persists.
11) provided a screen shot of the windows task manager sorted by memory big to small
SEE HERE:
Task Manager.jpg
12) a screen shots from two of your camera settings (in the camera not bi) Video tab ... resolution ,frame, iframe .......
SEE HERE:
Camera Native Config.jpg
13) what cameras make/model are you using ?
ANSWER: Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I (4mm) (qty 10) and Hikvision DS-2CD2T85FWD-IF (4mm) (qty 3)
Also, I notice that, no matter what FPS setting I put in BI, that setting is changed the next time I restart BI. Is this normal?

I would greatly appreciate any and all optimization tips or processor hog settings you think might be the culprit.

KB41786

n3wb
Reaction score
Also, please see where I quoted Southern Yankee in my prior email. My responses to 13 issues are inside that quote.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also, I notice that, no matter what FPS setting I put in BI, that setting is changed the next time I restart BI. Is this normal?

I would greatly appreciate any and all optimization tips or processor hog settings you think might be the culprit.
Yes.
Do a clean install of Win10 with the MS Media creation tool.

mikegrok

n3wb
Reaction score
H264 decoding in hardware was added with skylake, ie i5-6xxx.

due to the “hyperthreading” Intel feature, often 50% cpu is the same as 100% cpu.

So there may not be much difference.

Trying to gauge how much my little i7-4770S cpu can handle before an upgrade is needed. Right now, hovers around 50%

mikegrok

n3wb
Reaction score
You loose the ability to use ntfs drives at their native speed. Hard drive corruption skyrockets. USB can’t cache write events in ram, so disk activity is much higher than with a sata drive.

instead get a $12 4 port pie Sata card, and lay the drives across the bottom of your case.
you can also get 4 pin molex to Sata power cables for under $5.
How important is it to have internal drives only? I only have 1 extra slot for my 6TB purple drive but thinking of adding another 6TB for external storage. Will there be issues with connecting a usb external for additional storage?

KB41786

n3wb
Reaction score
You nailed it Southern Yankee. It appears my CPU usage problem was the file size setting on the Camera record tab.

I went through all the issues verified I had addressed everything in both Southern Yankee's and Looney2ns posts (including all issues listed in the Optimizing Blue Iris Link), except the one thing I did not do was a fresh Windows install. I was hell-bent on trying everything else first, this time. Everything had been addressed (except the fresh install) with the exception of the file size. As the very last issue, I made the change to the file size on the Camera record tab, that Southern Yankee specified (I had it set to 8hrs or 8GB and changed it to 1hr or 1GB on each camera). It appears that was the culprit. I went from 100% usage, BI crashes, and an inability to use the BI interface to a BI CPU usage of 60-85% now, with an average of about 70%.

Thanks a lot, guys. I probably should have identified the issue, but I was struggling and it just didn't occur to me. Should I try to add that issue to the Optimization page?