What outdoor security cameras are compatible with using Windows phones as a viewer ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I know I sound like a noob, it's because I am when it comes to this stuff, but you are saying everyone who does port forwarding WILL get hacked, not maybe or 50% chance, but definitely will get hacked ?

If so and it's that bad, why don't they make routers so it's impossible to do something that can only result in definitely getting hacked ?
If your camera has flawed firmware it will get hacked pretty quickly...if its updated, it will get hacked when the next vulnerability is exposed, and that will be before you know of it and well before a patch is released. Some devices are less prone to hacking as there are less of them and its less exciting vs a camera feed. Regardless, you would likely never know you were hacked, your privacy will be compromised and your possibly your data stolen...

Reactions: GKL

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know I sound like a noob, it's because I am when it comes to this stuff, but you are saying everyone who does port forwarding WILL get hacked, not maybe or 50% chance, but definitely will get hacked ?..
Yes.

Imagine this... you live in a really bad part of town, and have a decent car which works .. but has no working alarm, no smart keys, just a normal key... and you leave it parked in a dark section of the hood...

yeah, that's basically it.

Last edited:

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are correct, eventually someone will find the port. I would still recommend softether to connect with. It works from my winphone perfectively and was pretty easy to set up.
Softether is what I was trying to use since it does offer VPN protection, but it hasn't been easy for me (as a noob), I could have just a couple basic settings wrong and have no idea that it's wrong.

At least since I know since it works with your windows phone at least I'll know it's worth the ongoing effort to figure out what settings I have wrong or maybe not set at all that should be set. It will be funny if a month or two from now I finally figure out what's wrong and it turns out to be something very simple, but that's part of the challenge of being a noob :lol:
If the both of you are willing and have the time why not get together and let @Roger takeover @GKL computer with Teamviewer? Since Windows phone is now dead it is going to be hard to find help with anything related to it going forward. Not to mention you won't be getting security patches on your phones either...

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If your camera has flawed firmware it will get hacked pretty quickly...if its updated, it will get hacked when the next vulnerability is exposed, and that will be before you know of it and well before a patch is released. Some devices are less prone to hacking as there are less of them and its less exciting vs a camera feed. Regardless, you would likely never know you were hacked, your privacy will be compromised and your possibly your data stolen...
Good points, could get passwords ? That would be the main concern.
Is there a way to tell (software program) if you've been hacked ?

I had thought hackers would spread malware, is that much of a concern ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Good points, could get passwords ? That would be the main concern.
Is there a way to tell (software program) if you've been hacked ?

I had thought hackers would spread malware, is that much of a concern ?
It varies by hack...the latest hikvision hack allowed hackers to get snapshots from your camera with no authentication - that means they can keep doing it and you would never know...or they could reset your password and take full control of the camera...
last years dahua hack uses the hacked devices to create a botnet and attack others...
yes there are ways to tell, but its above your paygrade.

GKL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the both of you are willing and have the time why not get together and let @Roger takeover @GKL computer with Teamviewer? Since Windows phone is now dead it is going to be hard to find help with anything related to it going forward. Not to mention you won't be getting security patches on your phones either...
Thanks for the suggestion, Roger has Softether VPN working to connect with his windows phone okay so I know it is doable, he is going to share some screenshots of how he has his set up so that way I might spot where I have something wrong on my set up.

Roger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Probird79 This I will disagree with "Not to mention you won't be getting security patches on your phones either..." Microsoft is pretty diligent about security patches. Since the mobile OS sharing the same kernel as desktop windows and WinIOT (until the abandon it) I think we will continue to see security updates and bug fixes for serious bugs.

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Probird79 This I will disagree with "Not to mention you won't be getting security patches on your phones either..." Microsoft is pretty diligent about security patches. Since the mobile OS sharing the same kernel as desktop windows and WinIOT (until the abandon it) I think we will continue to see security updates and bug fixes for serious bugs.
No kidding? That's good then. Everything I've come across has said otherwise but I hope for the sake of the users that they do. Since the KRACK is out I guess you will find out soon enough if they will patch it.