What router are you guys using?

Roger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
opnsense router running on protectli connected to ubiquiti 48 port poe switch and wireless access points..

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
pfsense looks great but what do you use for access points?
I have 6 Unifi access points running off of a Unifi POE switch.

Of all of my network gear, Unifi is probably the one I'm the least impressed with. When I upgrade to the next generation, I'll be using something other than Ubiquiti.

Unifi Access Points.jpg

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have 6 Unifi access points running off of a Unifi POE switch.

Of all of my network gear, Unifi is probably the one I'm the least impressed with. When I upgrade to the next generation, I'll be using something other than Ubiquiti.

View attachment 69102

What is wrong with Ubiquiti? I'm on the fence between Ubiquiti., pfsense and asus.

Asus looks to be the easy one for a newbe.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I’d like to know as well. I’ve been using them for 8 years now and have no issue with their controller, APs, switches, or routers.

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'll preface it with the fact that when they work, they work very well.

But, about once a year or so, I've had access points and the cloud key just randomly fall off and then it's a pain in the ass to provision...as in, it won't, or it's not just a simple re-provision and it's back working. Or, just other minor things. Hell, when I went to log in to take the picture of my setup for this thread, I logged into the cloud key and then went to log into the unifi dashboard and it didn't work. Stopping and starting unifi in the cloud key didn't work, but rebooting the cloud key did. Just little things like this, but it seems to happen a lot.

I'm fortunate enough to live in a very large, very nice house where I need multiple access points to cover the whole area. I added my last In-Wall AC Pro about a year ago to my living room where I had okay 2.4G coverage but poor 5G. I just recently received a message that the In-Wall AC Pros are EOL. Man, I get it...the next generation are on their way in. But, it seems like I just got these.

I've had no problem with my POE switch, I even bought it used on ebay. It was a little loud, so I swapped out the fans for Noctuas. If I had a complaint, it would be that the interface is probably a little more focused on being pretty than ease of use for setting up VLANs, etc. Just my opinion though and once I learned it, I've been okay with it. I'm not really a fan of how they look. I mounted it to the back side of my rack so it wouldn't be seen LOL. That's just personal opinion too.

To Ubiquiti's defense, I did have one access point just fall off and I couldn't re-provision. I messed with it for a couple hours...reset, factory reset, etc and it still didn't work. Ubiquiti sent me a brand new one...I had it in two days and used the box to sent back the old one. I always say that it's not if a product or service messes up, but how a company handles it and I couldn't ask any more from Ubiquiti or their support.

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am a Tp-link fan. My router is a AC2600 and a managed 24 port poe+ switch.
Maybe next year around this time, I will upgrade to the AX series. I also use a lot of the Kasa lamps and switches.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Reaction score
UniFi equipment here. Very reliable. Did have one problem with the USG - would randomly drop off. Turned out it was the power supply. Swapped it out for a 2 amp power supply and no problems since.

6BCC8353-B5D0-4C5C-A37B-65FBFEC85A9D.jpeg

We use the Remote User VPN to tunnel from our iPhones to our home network. We have a registered domain name so use it instead of a WAN IP.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
UniFi equipment here. Very reliable. Did have one problem with the USG - would randomly drop off. Turned out it was the power supply. Swapped it out for a 2 amp power supply and no problems since.

View attachment 69278

We use the Remote User VPN to tunnel from our iPhones to our home network. We have a registered domain name so use it instead of a WAN IP.
off topic but what are you using to make that network image?

NVR990

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I use an Asus router. It supports openvpn. Rt-ac86u. I use stock Asus software.

If setup correctly, no camera traffic goes through the router
Thanks, SY. Can you explain this? How does your camera traffic bypass the router?

Johanpm

n3wb
Reaction score
Pfsense firewall+router running on my homelab ESXi server. Wireless access point is a mesh system with one RT-2600AC as master and 3 MR-2200ac as slaves (1 wired backhaul, 2 wireless backhaul).
Since covid, my internal backbone is 10Gbe (Buffalo BS-MP2008 switch).

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I recently got into unifi. Have a USG4pro, 16 port and 8 port Poe switch and some nanahd and aclite APs. I also have a couple of Nanobeam ptp going to my parents house about 1/4mile away with unifi switch and APs there also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
UniFi for past 3-4 years. USG, CK-G1, 2 8-150 POE, 3 8-60 POE, 4 access points. Keep everything up to date and no hiccups.