What router are you guys using?

Reaction score
UniFi has been the best move in my opinion without having to spend thousands on pro gear like Cisco. Yes, my system is probably a little over 1,000 but it just works.

izzy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a dedicated paid VPN subscription router from one of the main vpn providers would that work or basically I have to setup my own private vpn?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a dedicated paid VPN subscription router from one of the main vpn providers would that work or basically I have to setup my own private vpn?
Same acronym, different direction. What you have now is for outgoing traffic.

Yes, you'd set up your own VPN into your network by running a VPN server on your router (or other host) and then connecting to your local net through that with an associated VPN client running on whatever access device.

izzy

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah I see.

So the main purpose of the vpn is so one would get full access to the IP cameras or nvr as if they were physically at that device?

So if I just wanted to receive notifications from alerts, that wouldn't require a vpn, just regular internet?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Ah I see.

So the main purpose of the vpn is so one would get full access to the IP cameras or nvr as if they were physically at that device?
Basically correct. Not really as if physically there but effectively upon authorization your remote client becomes connected as if it were a device with an IP inside your internal net.

So if I just wanted to receive notifications from alerts, that wouldn't require a vpn, just regular internet?
Generally yes. That typically doesn't require an incoming connection to your network. BI or whatever other internal server sends the notification/alert via app, text, email, whatever, as outgoing traffic in a normal fashion to whatever external app/service/whatever.

Last edited:

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Using an Edge Router 4...have not setup VPN as of yet..I will get there.(working on all my firewall rules)
Really happy with the ER4 along with 2- Netgear GS728ttpv2 POE+ Switches. (at least so far)
But I really am just starting out....

Reaction score
I would love to drop another $400ish on a Ubiquiti router, but my wife would slap me upside the head.

My old netgear router is not up to the task of encoding VPN traffic--- what should I buy UNDER $150 ....??? About $100 would be even better... if any hardware is worth it at that price...
I know-- I know-- I am a CHEAP ASS!

So---- Low price, good processor (not single core), OPENVPN compatible / or Open source firmware Ready......

Last edited:

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would love to drop another $400ish on a Ubiquiti router, but my wife would slap my upside the head.

My old netgear router is not up to the task of encoding VPN traffic--- what should I buy UNDER $150 ....??? About $100 would be even better... if any hardware is worth it at that price...

So---- Low price, good processor (not single core), OPENVPN compatible / or Open source firmware Ready......
In terms of VPN, if your purpose is only for BlueIris, then I would go the stunnel route. This would cost you nothing and be a secure way to access your BI web UI. You said CHEAP. Hard to beat free :).

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I would love to drop another $400ish on a Ubiquiti router, but my wife would slap my upside the head.

Lots like the Asus AC1900/AC68U and AC2900/AC86U. Both have OpenVPN built in and are decent routers. The 1900 you can find relatively cheap. ~$120-ish. Much less if you want to update firmware on one of the refurb T-Mobile versions. 2900 is probably a little over $150 at a good normal price. I believe that it will do hardware-based encryption with the right firmware to enable.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Should have mentioned too that there are less expensive versions of the Ubiquiti routers in your price range. I'm not up on the differences in their various router products. I've used their APs and cloud key but not the routers. Someone else here I'm sure can speak to that.

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would love to drop another $400ish on a Ubiquiti router, but my wife would slap me upside the head.

Grab a Unifi USG 3 port (UniFi Security Gateway) - pretty decent for $100 and VPN config has been rock solid on every install I've done.

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ubiquiti Edgerouter 8 (overkill, but found it used cheap) and Nano HD access points.
Rock-solid. Set 'em and forget 'em

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of unifi, i recently tried them out and they are nice but it seemed to be missing a few simple things like live traffic, OpenVPN, the stats page for bandwidth does not show time/date it was used and i didn't like how you had to setup each AP individually in a tab for that AP.

I liked the GUI and how each AP could do a RF scan but i have seen some of these features in firmware like tomato, Asuswrt-Merlin.

Think i will try pfsense, i just need a good box for it to run on that can handle 1GIG internet and a AP of course.

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The Ubiquiti gear is decent and quick to setup and easy to use.

pfSense takes a little more work to setup initially. It is just as easy to manage once it's setup (IMHO). It does have add-ons which can expand its capability (OpenVPN, pfBlockerNG).

I run pfSense and Blueiris on the same server, so you may not need to get another box. I've allocated 1 vCPU and 8GB RAM to pfSense and it can handle 1Gig internet. I also have OpenVPN and pfBlockerNG running on my pfSense VM.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

the ER4 was $139 on sale NEW..has VPN 4 Core CPU.......Ubiquiti - EdgeRouter™ 4

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Lots like the Asus AC1900/AC68U and AC2900/AC86U. Both have OpenVPN built in and are decent routers. The 1900 you can find relatively cheap. ~$120-ish. Much less if you want to update firmware on one of the refurb T-Mobile versions. 2900 is probably a little over $150 at a good normal price. I believe that it will do hardware-based encryption with the right firmware to enable.
I've been running the AC2900/AC86U for over a year and it has performed flawlessly.