What Software To Use To Change Internal Camera Settings

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I want to be able to get access to my Hikvision internals so that I can change things such as FPS. What software do I use? I have a Hikvision NVR. Is there some free software that is available?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Glad this question came up...I'm also a little confused on the whole what camera settings are or can be controlled by what device, NVR, software, etc. in general.
Can someone help confirm.....
I assumed at least if I used a specific manufaturer's camera with their matching NVR, I'd have access to ALL the camera's settings...is this not true?

If not, will a software like Blue Iris or Xprotect allow access and control of ALL camera settings?

Does software like BI allow you to change settings IN a camera or is it overriding and ignoring the camera's own functionality and applying it's own custom functionality...or a combination of both?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad this question came up...I'm also a little confused on the whole what camera settings are or can be controlled by what device, NVR, software, etc. in general.
Can someone help confirm.....
I assumed at least if I used a specific manufaturer's camera with their matching NVR, I'd have access to ALL the camera's settings...is this not true?

If not, will a software like Blue Iris or Xprotect allow access and control of ALL camera settings?

Does software like BI allow you to change settings IN a camera or is it overriding and ignoring the camera's own functionality and applying it's own custom functionality...or a combination of both?
You can control all camera settings using a hikvision nvr by using the virtual host option (login to the cameras via the NVR) available on most models.

Blue iris or xprotect cannot control most camera settings. Blue iris can control some things like brightness, but not major settings. You dont need it to, you simply set them in the camera. Blue iris and xprotect can accept motion triggers from cameras if you choose to use the in camera motion detection.
There is no need for the software to control most camera settings.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
You can control all camera settings using a hikvision nvr by using the virtual host option (login to the cameras via the NVR) available on most models.

Blue iris or xprotect cannot control most camera settings. Blue iris can control some things like brightness, but not major settings. You dont need it to, you simply set them in the camera. Blue iris and xprotect can accept motion triggers from cameras if you choose to use the in camera motion detection.
There is no need for the software to control most camera settings.
I have the DS-7608NI-I2/8P and I looked all over and did not see the virtual host option.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Virtual Host is not enabled by default.
Under Advanced Settings | Network configuration | Advanced settings there should be a checkbox to enable it.

Mike4030

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There is no way to "get access to my Hikvision internals" using the actual NVR itself. You can only do that using the web browser to access your NVR which then provides a link to "get access to my Hikvision internals",(after you have enabled virtual host) under the System/Camera management page.
Or you can just access cameras directly from the web browser.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no way to "get access to my Hikvision internals" using the actual NVR itself.
Not so - the NVR will route packets from the LAN interface to the PoE interface and therefore to the cameras if the kernel networking 'ip_forward' attribute is enabled.
So the cameras are able to be accessed from the browser (or actually any other type of access) via the NVR. Provided also that the LAN gateway knows the PoE camera route is via the NVR.
Plenty of posts on the topic.
Virtual Host or extra wiring is not the only way ...

Mike4030

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not so - the NVR will route packets from the LAN interface to the PoE interface and therefore to the cameras if the kernel networking 'ip_forward' attribute is enabled.
So the cameras are able to be accessed from the browser (or actually any other type of access) via the NVR. Provided also that the LAN gateway knows the PoE camera route is via the NVR.
Plenty of posts on the topic.
Virtual Host or extra wiring is not the only way ...
Is that possible with my non POE nvr? if so how?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is that possible with my non POE nvr? if so how?
You don't need that with a non-PoE NVR.
All the cameras and the NVR will be on the same IP address range, so all equally accessible.
On a PoE NVR, cameras connected to the PoE ports reside on a separate, isolated IP segment, different from the LAN IP address range, usually 192.168.254.x for Hik NVRs.

Mike4030

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just to clarify,It is true i can access my camera internals thru my NVR. Just not all the settings as I can from the web browser.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It is true i can access my camera internals thru my NVR.
OK, I think I know where you are coming from now. Sorry about any confusion.
When you use the NVR menus to adjust camera settings, all that's happening is that the NVR is taking the settings you are giving it and configuring the camera on your behalf. You are not actually directly connecting to the cameras.
What set of camera settings can be adjusted in this way depends on what they have built in to the NVR firmware. This has improved with newer versions, for example the NVRs now have a good selection of smart events for the more capable cameras.
However there are still loads of camera settings that the NVR firmware isn't built to configure for you.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
For myself I am interested in changing the FPS internals on the cameras. Mine are running 20-25fps second which I do not need. I would like to be down to 10-12 or so FPS.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Update: That worked. Thank you for the information. Maybe I need to start another thread but I need to change the F-stop on my Huisun PTZ license plate reading camera.