What tools do you bring to your installation site?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Harbor freight ones are not bad for the money but the connectors don't hold up where you screw together
Indeed, I use electrical tape to secure them.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was going from the floor to ceiling one time with the harbor freight Rods and it broke about three times. Was not happy. Wall had insulation in it and I think I was bending it too much. Ended up using metal fish tape I think

Frankydp

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
EZ RJ45 by Platinum Tools.

The Pro crimps are some of the best I have used. Stripper, clipper, second flat stripper, Type A and B wiring guide right on the tool, and 2 crimps.

Pushing the wires all the way through the connector, is easily twice as fast, and I have put on 200+ with no failed crimps or connections

Platinum Tools 100054 EZ-RJPRO HD Crimp Tool, EZ-RJ45 Series Cat6+ 50 Connectors

Great video from the manufacturer
Tutorial: Platinum Tools termination class

Second here!

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'd also include a 12V 2A DC Power supply. Great for bench testing cameras and diagnosing if your issue is power or not.

Nolesfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ended up getting these Klein Tools VDV226-107 Compact Ratcheting Modular Crimper - - Amazon.com because people were saying the ez-crimps were problematic .... wondering if I should bring them back.
I wouldn't. you made a solid choice. EZ crimps work ok too, but can be finicky on the tip as they have the "guide bar" I talked with the Platinum rep last week during a training and he said they have created a new fitting and tool, but you have to purchase a new compression tool, along with the revamped RJ45 modular plugs for them to work.

Merlin93

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wouldn't. you made a solid choice. EZ crimps work ok too, but can be finicky on the tip as they have the "guide bar" I talked with the Platinum rep last week during a training and he said they have created a new fitting and tool, but you have to purchase a new compression tool, along with the revamped RJ45 modular plugs for them to work.
While this conversation is a couple weeks old, I looked into this a bit ago for my own purposes, so I figured I'd share details for anyone who is interested.

The new Platinum Tools system is called the "ezEX-RJ45 Termination System", which consists of a new EXO Crimp Frame tool with replacable die modules to support both the EZ-RJ45 connectors and the new ezEX-RJ45 connectors. The're already available at Amazon and B&H and I assume anywhere that normally sells Platinum Tools stuff, though Amazon doesn't seem to carry the new connectors yet.

AFAIK, the people complaining about trouble with the EZ-RJ45 connectors are those who are trying to use cables that are too thick (outer diameter) or have extra thick conductor wires. The EZ-RJ45 connectors work fine for most Cat5/5e and some Cat6/6A cables. 24AWG cables generally just work, but 23AWG may or may not work depending on the diameter of the cable and conductor wires... as long as the conductors are 0.041" (1.041mm) or less and the overall cable diameter is 0.26" (6.6mm) or less they should work fine.

The new frame and connectors are specifically designed for larger cables and conductors, and to address concerns people had with theoretical/potential PoE shorting with tight RJ45 switch plugs. The new connectors come in two sizes: ezEX-44 and ezEX-48, which refer to the max conductor size (0.044"/1.12mm or 0.048"/1.22mm). Both connectors support cables with a max diameter of 0.29" (7.36mm). The ezEX-44 connectors should work for most Cat5/5e/6 24-23 AWG cabling, as long as the conductors aren't too thin (min is 0.39"/1mm). For Cat 6A or 22AWG cable the ezEX-48's are probably the best option. The ezEX die also cuts off a bit of the connector's load bar (along with the end of the conductors) to eliminate the fears people had with PoE cable shorts.

There are also new integrated strain boots that work with the ezEX connectors as the original ones only work with the EZ-RJ45 connectors.

The new EXO frame appears to be about $10-$20 more than the EZ-RJPRO HD crimp tool. I am planning to order an EXO frame for myself with the EZ-RJ45 die and then grab an ezEX-RJ45 die later if/when I need to crimp Cat 6A cables.

Last edited:

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm going to look into those crimpers

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Merlin let me know how they do. I have the older hd style now

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been using the Monoprice RJ45s with inserts with no problems on cat5e or cat6. I finally learned that if I'm willing to throw away 2" to 3" of wire on each end it's even fairly easy to get those little wires into the little holes.