what's the best way to get a 2nd BI machine going?

JeffCharger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I want to buy a new BI license for another location, and start my configuration using one that I've worked on at my first BI 4 location. I want to install BI 4 initially and then move to BI 5. Here's my thinking, please suggest things that I've not thought of:

1) exported my settings from Existing BI installation
2) purchase and install BI4 with new registration key
3) import settings file that was backed up from first Existing BI installation (will this mess up the new registration?)
4) make adjustments to cameras and other settings that were specific to the first Existing installation

Make sense?
Thanks for any guidance.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
That should work. Depends I suppose as far as being practical. With many cams it may be more work sorting things out than just starting fresh. With few, you might be able to set them up new with less trouble. You're probably going to have to go in and change a lot of things anyway. If you have a lot of profiles, schedules, notifications, automation, etc., beyond just the cams then maybe worth doing.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have in the pasted year had a BI 4 and a BI5 running on the same cameras on the same network. I now have only BI 5.

1) clean windows install on the new BI 5 machine using "microsoft media creation tool"
2) Install the latest stable version of BI 5 on the new machine.
3) go set the cameras to use substreams.
4) manual define the cameras on the BI 5 machine.

Importing BI 4 configuration into BI 5 causes problems when the definitions are complex. You will save time manually defining the cameras, I tried export / import and it was a mess.

You can not use camera based motion detection and events and expect it to work correctly when you have 2 BI computers.

JeffCharger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That should work. Depends I suppose as far as being practical. With many cams it may be more work sorting things out than just starting fresh. With few, you might be able to set them up new with less trouble. You're probably going to have to go in and change a lot of things anyway. If you have a lot of profiles, schedules, notifications, automation, etc., beyond just the cams then maybe worth doing.
Thanks. I'm going to transfer a couple of cameras to the new configuration. I'm hoping that my steps would save me from copying the detail setup info such as FTP, email, etc.
Sounds like it's worth a try, I can always start from fresh if necessary.
Thanks

JeffCharger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have in the pasted year had a BI 4 and a BI5 running on the same cameras on the same network. I now have only BI 5.

1) clean windows install on the new BI 5 machine using "microsoft media creation tool"
2) Install the latest stable version of BI 5 on the new machine.
3) go set the cameras to use substreams.
4) manual define the cameras on the BI 5 machine.

Importing BI 4 configuration into BI 5 causes problems when the definitions are complex. You will save time manually defining the cameras, I tried export / import and it was a mess.

You can not use camera based motion detection and events and expect it to work correctly when you have 2 BI computers.
Thanks. The existing and new configurations will be 100 miles apart. My current BI license doesn't provide a upgrade to BI 5. I'm not sure which location I will run BI 5 on, so I'm planning on installing the new installation in BI 4, then upgrading it to BI 5 to test it out. If I decide to use it at the original location, I'll swap the licenses.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. The existing and new configurations will be 100 miles apart. My current BI license doesn't provide a upgrade to BI 5. I'm not sure which location I will run BI 5 on, so I'm planning on installing the new installation in BI 4, then upgrading it to BI 5 to test it out. If I decide to use it at the original location, I'll swap the licenses.
This is silly. Its always best to start clean. Email the developer, he used to sell the second license for half off. Upgrading your old BI4 installation is only 30 bux anyway and well worth the cost.