When is Port Forwarding Safe? What devices/programs/apps or Never?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, virtually every IP and every port gets scanned these days. It's a continual flood of attempted connections from all over. Open up an interesting port and you can watch them flock to it once found.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
...that might make that MaxMind company a tad more careful next time...
Unfortunately it really isn't MaxMinds fault. They are one of many GeoIP companies. IP Addresses are geographically assigned, well they were originally but the demand for IP addresses is such that addresses such as 1.1.1.1 which is a CloudFlare public DNS server technically belongs in Australia but isn't actually there any longer but rather in North America. When GeoIP info doesn't have an accurate point of specificity within a country it is generically assigned to the geographic center of the country. In the case of the USA that just so happens to be that Kansas farmhouse. Unfortunately people in general are not as careful and detail oriented as they should be which is why law enforcement agencies by the truck load show up at the Kansas farmhouse when tracking back an IP address.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I read the article but it left out a lot of details which simply doesn't pass the mustard. The first thing any of the law enforcement agencies would do is obtain a warrant from a judge providing them evidence of wrong doing. Once in hand the warrant would be presented to the ISP.

A simple and cursory inspection of the meta data from the ISP would have immediately told them no such traffic was present.

All of this screams lazy police work and not following any basic investigative best practices as it relates to networking. One could argue maybe 1,2,3 possible incidents which is a stretch but the same spanning years of X vs Y.

Bull shit . . .

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I read the article but it left out a lot of details which simply doesn't pass the mustard. The first thing any of the law enforcement agencies would do is obtain a warrant from a judge providing them evidence of wrong doing. Once in hand the warrant would be presented to the ISP.

A simple and cursory inspection of the meta data from the ISP would have immediately told them no such traffic was present.

All of this screams lazy police work and not following any basic investigative best practices as it relates to networking. One could argue maybe 1,2,3 possible incidents which is a stretch but the same spanning years of X vs Y.

Bull shit . . .
FYI - lot of lazy police work .. DA work ..

If you have time .. this should be fun to listen to

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's just one of many parts of the story that screams complete and utter bull shit:

or call of an attempted suicide <- I want people to really understand that statement a CALL of attempted suicide?!?! Are they saying they (the farmers family) made a VOIP call to the police??? I mean its not like they don't have half a dozen ways to track that inbound / outbound call.

All of this screams of kids doing what they do best and that is fucking around. The latest rage a few years back were assholes calling into 911 about fires, rape, shooting etc.

Why???

Because these useless shits enjoyed watching hard working people sweat it out looking to help or provide help to the citizens!

This is more likely than some Geo IP simply listing a random home in Kansas. I want people to sit down and think about if this was on going you know what would be in place?!?! A wire tap on every telecommunications on that home and the people who have any sort of portable devices. They would literally be verbose logging every byte coming and going out of that home.

Yet, they are saying its a Geo IP that caused all manner of trouble. :facepalm: